Moorea Scuba Operators Bathy's or TopDive?

CelticEyes

I would like opinions on Bathy's versus TopDive on Moorea. DH and I will be staying at the Moorea IC prior to our Sept/Oct PG cruise. Since Bathy's is located at the IC we were planning on using them for our pre-cruise diving. After reading many glowing reviews of TopDive, and one negative of Bathy's, we are having 2nd thoughts about our choice. We will be new divers having finished our open water dives in April.

On our cruise to Tahiti I used TopDive in Bora Bora and was extremely pleased.

I also did a ship's excursion in Moorea that used Bathy's. No matter what, I'll never used them again. One of the people in our group, on the second dive, stayed at the bottom of the mooring line until the group returned. He said he thought that the dive masters were dangerous and he didn't want anything further to do with them on the second dive.

On our dives, the dive-masters did not pay attention to depth and often were not to be found. It was almost as though they had just dumped us off to fend for ourselves in unfamiliar territory. To add to that, we had a lot of heavy surge so it was easy to become disoriented around the coral heads unless you paid close attention. It's a good thing that I had a computer and was paying close attention.

I would opt for TopDive.

10X

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with TopDive and Bathy's. I was hoping that you would respond to my query as I had read your comment about never using Bathy's again. Being new divers I certainly want to make sure that we are with a safety conscious dive shop.

Thank You Again,

Monica

We also had a good experience with Top Dive on Bora Bora. Picked us up at the dock and took us to the dive shop the first afternoon, did a single dive and then took us back to the dock with enough time to shower on the TP & get back for the sunset sail. Since we were diving the next morning, they let us stow our dive gear in their lockers so we didn't have to haul it back & forth. They picked us up at the dock the next morning also.

On Moorea the dives were very good with them, but make sure you are ready & your gear is sorted because they picked us up at the dock & we went straight to the dive site & was in the water in under 15 minutes. Had we not been diving the entire week, might have been a bit rattled by the lack of prep time.

Mike

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove#gallery

Archived