Masseuse Recommendations

I'll be on Liberty in March and would like to know if anyone has a masseuse they recommend or one to avoid. I usually get a hot stone massage and aromaspa massage during the cruise. I've had massages that were just so-so and I've had massages that were incredible, it all depends on the masseuse. Last year on Legend I had the best massages ever from a Romanian guy named Mircea, he knew how to give an incredible deep tissue massage. On other cruises I've had back rubs that were called deep tissue massages.

Well I probably shouldn't be responding to this question as I'm a bit biased but anywho I will. I have my own dayspa and I would recommend that you don't get your massage on the ship but in one of the ports. You'll get a much better massage and also pay much less.;)

Now that being said....I know several people that work in the spas on the ship and they are certainly very nice people and some are definately better than others BUT their primary goal when they are giving treatments is to sell you product as that is how they make most of their money. The spa people on the ship are heavily trained in sales and have to push products as they have weekly quotas to make and they are quite high.

In the ships spa a good salesperson will last on the ship whether they give a good massage or not as its all about SALES!:rolleyes:

I know the cruise spa is way over priced. I had an excellent one hour massage yesterday for $65 from a local masseuse. Even though the massages on the ship are over priced I always get one...... or two, its a cruise thing that started on my first cruise. I rarely get the sales pitch when I tell them this is my ## cruise so don't even start with the sales pitch on extremely over priced products.

Let this be a warning to new cruisers that go to the spa. After your treatment they will put a high pressure sales pitch on like you've never seen in your life. They will tell you this product or that product will make you look 20 years younger, make you live 20 years longer, cures everything from cancer to ingrown toenails and you would be foolish not to buy it.

Just say "No Thanks" and walk out the door.

I too would recommend saving your dollars! Nothing really wrong with the overall experience except people pushing product. For the price, you may want to save your money and have probably two massages for the price of what you pay on the ship.

Sorry - didn't want to be debbie downer!

They will tell you this product or that product will make you look 20 years younger, make you live 20 years longer, cures everything from cancer to ingrown toenails

I know you most likely meant the above statement as "tongue in cheek" but I actually had one of the spa ladies tell me the seaweed detox bath packs help prevent cancer. You are correct about the high pressure sales pitch.

Just out of curiousity, what would products would they try to sell to men? It'll be pretty easy for me to say "No Thanks" if they try to sell me anti-wrinkle cream. Now if they pull out body hair removal, then they've got my attention.

Also, are you asked for your choice for a masseuse, male or female?

I had the pitch about the anti-cancer stuff too. It was obvious to him at the time that I had just done chemo (I was still bald and I TOLD him). He sold me something called cellutox that he said would remove all the toxins left after chemo. I must have still had chemo brain because I BOUGHT IT! When they rang it up it was $600. Dumbest thing I ever did but taught me a lesson I will never forget. Now, I tell them up front that I will reduce their tip by every $ I spend on products! They usually don't try to sell me anything!

I had the pitch about the anti-cancer stuff too. It was obvious to him at the time that I had just done chemo (I was still bald and I TOLD him). He sold me something called cellutox that he said would remove all the toxins left after chemo. I must have still had chemo brain because I BOUGHT IT! When they rang it up it was $600. Dumbest thing I ever did but taught me a lesson I will never forget. Now, I tell them up front that I will reduce their tip by every $ I spend on products! They usually don't try to sell me anything!

:eek: Holy smokes!

I'd assume it didn't remove toxins? :mad:

FenwayFan33, The gender of the masseuse doesn't matter to me, I just like a nice firm deep tissue massage whether from a man or woman. Don't advertise a deep tissue massage and then give a back rub, especially at cruise ship prices.

pinkrosesdeb, you aren't the only one ....... by far. DW spent $550 :eek: on "miracle potions" on our first cruise, live and learn:)

I think they know they have us in a weakened and vulnerable position after a massage. I think maybe the blood hadn't returned to our brains enough yet so we made stupid decisions...not any more! I don't buy anything there even if I think I might like it. We have a spa in Sarasota that sells the Elemis products so if I really want it I can buy it here! Deb

Archived