Just off RCCI with 2 yr old, 11 month old and a 13 yr old - any questions??

NoelsCat

We will be cruising soon with all 5 of our children, one which is 16 months old. She is potty trained except at night we put pull up or diaper on her just in case. I was considering bringing a small potty chair or one of those soft mini toilet seats because she has never used a regular sized toilet. Do you think this is acceptable or will I have a problem. Also, will she be allowed in the pool considering she doesn't wear diapers or pull ups in the day time. I don't want to create a problem but in my opinion it should be okay. But it is only my opinion.

Wow, I am so impressed that your daughter is potty trained at 16 months!

The toilets are pretty high in the cabins... if I were so inclined to bring a potty, I would bring some sort of portable seat rather than an insert. However, I have to tell you that my son isn't potty trained -- so that wasn't something I dealt with... sorry I don't have better info.

Keep in mind that the toilets also make a very loud sound (similar to airplane bathrooms) -- so you might want to prepare her for that, too.

Their travel agent has made all the arrangements and was told that we'd like something that was kid friendly for a 2 1/2 year old. She guaranteed us that there is so much for kids to do. However, now that I have been checking out the RC website I am concerned that she wasn't aware of the age restrictions for all the kid things and that we are going to be disappointed-no water activites and only AquaTots for for up to three year olds. Granted, she loves Fisher Price Little People but I was expecting activities a little different than the toys she plays with every day at home.

... So, can anyone provide some insight as to what types of things will be fun for the under three and not potty trained to do with mommy and daddy (or grandma and grandpa)?

Thanks so much!

You didn't mention which ship you will be on -- and I am hoping it is a Freedom class ship since they do have wadding areas for those of us who have children still in diapers. Otherwise, keep in mind that your daughter will not be able to go into the pools.

My son is two -- he had a wonderful time and we weren't even on a Freedom Class ship. Our itinerary was port intensive, however, which meant that he had lots of beach time. Personally, I find that the beach is a perfect way to spend the day with a two year old -- and thankfully it's mutually enjoyable. We also traveled with family -- and this gave everyone an opportunity to do adult things (tours, snorkling, etc).

We did do the aqua tots on two of the days -- which is more or less a play date with fisher price little people toys -- and my son loved it. It was a chance for him to run around and play with other kids his age. However, since they hold it in the morning and we had a port intensive itinerary -- we only made it the two times. I do wish they offered it more than once per day or at least later.

My son enjoyed running around in the Vortex ( the disco ) during the day when it was closed and no one was in there. He also enjoyed exploring the ship with us -- and playing with his trains on the veranda. We took lots of toys, too.

Thank you :) ,I got lots of usefull information from you.We are planning to take balcony cabin next time ,but my worry is't it too windy ,when ship is in the sea?

We didn't find it too windy -- we had four balconies in a row --and all of us really enjoyed it. It is especially beneficial for those of us with young children in tow as it gave us a wonderful place to unwind while our son was napping or down for the night. Our son really enjoyed it too. He often took to playing with his cars or trains out on the balcony while I read or just relaxed. He liked watching the ocean in the evenings, too.

Thanks for the info, Kat. We're or the Navigator of the Seas, so no kiddie splash area. I was just so surprised that there is nothing beyond a 45 playtime for kids under three, yet there seems to be so much for those just a few months older than my daughter. In my head there would at least be a play area designated for little ones and their parents that would be available all day. And I was totally shocked that there was no water option for little ones either. It just never entered my head since my daughter started "swimming lessons" in a public pool at 6 months. However, after spending way too much time reading all kinds of posts on cruise critic (I've quickly become addicted) I do understand why the pool thing is an issue on cruise ships. I'm sure we'll be able to keep our daughter plenty happy and with grandparents and an uncle around it will make it that much easier. We do have two days in port and are planning on beaching it for most of those two days, so at least she'll get some water time then. I guess the next time my parents want to be so generous and pick up the bill for a great vacation, I'll do more research first.

Jen

We travel with our Peg Perago Aria stroller, which I believe is their smallest one. I personally have a heckuva time steering it into most cabins. You have to be dead-centre, and there is no space to spare on either side. I would not take a double-stroller for fear of not being able to get it in the cabin. Then there's the issue of stroller storage inside the cabin. We put ours in the closet and make it work, but it is awkward at times.

That said, I love the Aria! :)

Hi there - thanks for offering all this good advice. I was wondering, again, about the sleeping arrangements.

We have a 4-ppl balcony cabin booked on the RCCL adventure of the seas. It has a pull-out couch that I wanted for my son (who will be 2 and 1/2) but I pregnant with our second child who will be only 5 and 1/2 months when we go. We'll need the pack n play for him/her so my question is, what is the cabin like with the sofa bed out and the pack n play up?

Thanks!

Michelle

Hi there - thanks for offering all this good advice. I was wondering, again, about the sleeping arrangements.

We have a 4-ppl balcony cabin booked on the RCCL adventure of the seas. It has a pull-out couch that I wanted for my son (who will be 2 and 1/2) but I pregnant with our second child who will be only 5 and 1/2 months when we go. We'll need the pack n play for him/her so my question is, what is the cabin like with the sofa bed out and the pack n play up?

Thanks!

Michelle

I think that would be really tight... our friends used a pack n play -- and it was kind of tight -- and our in-laws used the pull out couch which also takes a lot of room. Together, it would probably be hard to navigate in the room... LOL. The good thing is that the bed would be put away during the day (giving more walking space) -- and even the pack n play can be put away (if you don't use/need it for naps) --

That being said, I might consider turning the couch around (rather than pulling out the bed) and using it as a sort of toddler bed. Then the pack n play could be up against it and saving even more space.

HTH! Don't worry, no matter what you decide to do, it will all fit and you will have a great time. :)

We didn't find it too windy -- we had four balconies in a row --and all of us really enjoyed it. It is especially beneficial for those of us with young children in tow as it gave us a wonderful place to unwind while our son was napping or down for the night. Our son really enjoyed it too. He often took to playing with his cars or trains out on the balcony while I read or just relaxed. He liked watching the ocean in the evenings, too.

that's why we will take balcony this time:rolleyes: usually we are fine with inside,we never sat in the room,but now situation gonna be different:D

• 2 weeks later...

First post, so hope these are't stupid questions...

Great info here (and everywhere on this board), but I have a few more questions. My wife and I are considering a cruise (our first) in a month or two, and would be taking along our then-13-month-old. He is ALMOST walking, but I'm less worried about that than some of the more mundane things, such as:

Is it possible to enjoy a cruise with just Mommy, Daddy, and baby? Or is this a waste of money without a family member or two as a supporting cast? We're considering RC and Celebrity, mainly because they're the only 2 we know of that offer in-room sitting services. However, I'm concerned about RC's staterooms... is there an area where baby can sleep (in a PnP or crib) whilst we relax, chat quietly, watch TV, whatever? Is the balcony area large enough for two lounge chairs, or is it just a small sitting area?

This could be a make-or-break scenario, because while the wife and I like the family-friendly atmosphere RC offers, he IS only 13 months, so what will he know? :p Plus, the suite-style rooms Celebrity offers, with a semi-cordoned-off area for baby plus a generous veranda, seem to be worth the extra $, but not sure what the family vibe is like there?

Any suggestions or advice for a first-time parent/cruiser would be great. Tried to search the forums, but it looks like the database needs a hug. ;) I run a BBS like this at work, so I can dig that. Just wanted to let folks know I'm combing these boards for info, and enjoying my stay here! Keep up the great service!

--Jeff

First post, so hope these are't stupid questions...

Never a dumb question!

Is it possible to enjoy a cruise with just Mommy, Daddy, and baby? Or is this a waste of money without a family member or two as a supporting cast?

It is absolutely possible to have a great cruise - even with only you and your wife. Of course, it will not be the same as a cruise sans children but it is still a great time. Of course, we take our son everywhere --

That being said, if you can at all manage it, convince some aunts/uncles/or better, grandparents to take the same cruise. The extra hands are wonderful and allow for a lot more freedom. I love traveling with my in-laws!

RC has in-room babysitting for children over 12 months -- I have also heard wonderful things about it. However, keep in mind it's on a first come first serve basis.

We're considering RC and Celebrity, mainly because they're the only 2 we know of that offer in-room sitting services. However, I'm concerned about RC's staterooms... is there an area where baby can sleep (in a PnP or crib) whilst we relax, chat quietly, watch TV, whatever? Is the balcony area large enough for two lounge chairs, or is it just a small sitting area?

We have cruised on both RCI and X. I loved X pre-baby -- but I kind of prefer RCI post baby. I personally find RCI to cater to a more family friendly crowd. We had balcony on both lines -- the rooms were about the same size. If you want more space, I would consider a junior suite. We had plenty of room in our D1 balcony on RCI -- although the balcony has two chairs and a small table -- not lounge chairs. We often would relax out there while our son slept. We also would pull the curtain in the room in the evening for privacy.

Archived