All things Independence of the Seas

Hi

I hate to see our very positive 'all things thread' taking a down-turn. I am very excited about my upcoming cruise but feel that if I read much more negativity about it I am going to ruin it for myself.

I joined CC to glean information about RCI and the Indy, but now it seems that most of the threads I read just become negative with people doing battle with each other, hurling insults on all subjects whether it be - immersion cruises, smoking, food, currency, poor service, 'things ain't how they used to be', the Butlins crowd, pikeys etc!

I can only imagine that the 'Butlins crowd' mentioned, describes the kind of people that go to a 'holiday camp'. Here in the UK Butlins is a holiday complex, (there are different camps around the country) where entertainment is provided, there are swimming pools and activities and the accomodation is chalets or hotels. Butlins tends to attract people who are on a budget. So I would imagine people holidaying at Butlins are those who are not as fortunate to be able to take a cruise holiday. My sister goes to Butlins with her kids as this is all they can afford - but I don't think they are are lesser people :(

Hi

I hate to see our very positive 'all things thread' taking a down-turn. I am very excited about my upcoming cruise but feel that if I read much more negativity about it I am going to ruin it for myself.

I joined CC to glean information about RCI and the Indy, but now it seems that most of the threads I read just become negative with people doing battle with each other, hurling insults on all subjects whether it be - immersion cruises, smoking, food, currency, poor service, 'things ain't how they used to be', the Butlins crowd, pikeys etc!

I can only imagine that the 'Butlins crowd' mentioned, describes the kind of people that go to a 'holiday camp'. Here in the UK Butlins is a holiday complex, (there are different camps around the country) where entertainment is provided, there are swimming pools and activities and the accommodation is chalets or hotels. Butlins tends to attract people who are on a budget. So I would imagine people holidaying at Butlins are those who are not as fortunate to be able to take a cruise holiday. My sister goes to Butlins with her kids as this is all they can afford - but I don't think they are are lesser people :(

personally speaking i chose to book with RCCL for a few simple reasons..

1. even though I'm booked on the Ventura, (that was booked earlier this year as a stop gap as i couldn't find details about the Independence and TA cruises.....) i have been on a P & O ship and find them very British and fully expect the Ventura to be exactly the same..

2. having spent time with our cousins across the pond i find them very warm and thoroughly interesting people, the same type of person I'd like to 'remember' a holiday by...

3. looking back at #1, I'd expect a RCC ship to be far far better in all area's simply because i believe Americans expect that...

4. each and every cruise i go on I expect it to be out of this world, whether it's my 1st or 101st...

now to add to Lisa's points...yeah i to joined this site a few weeks ago for similar reasons.... to glean as much information from other posters as possible to allow me to facilitate #4 above!!

but just recently one or two things have hacked me off a tad!

these sorts of message boards are about opinions in general and are useful for advice as a result of that... but it appears that sometimes, if you're not prepared to tow the party line then you're simply WRONG in having you own opinion......

you just have to look at the threads that are on going at the moment!

DVDs at the dinner table....CRAYONS at the dinner table... POOR QUALITY FOOD... DRESS CODE'S....IMMERSION CRUISES.....etc etc etc

now i have opinions on all those subjects and have posted about them too, but i don't believe for one minute i should be listened too without question, or for that matter have my opinion ignored! that's the readers privilege to do what they like...IN MY OPINION!!!!

this is how i will treat my next cruise and any hopefully many more afterwards.....

if the food is decribed as awful by the vast majority, then i will walk aboard that ship with that in mind...and then form my own opinion from the first taste i have! if i believe it's sub-standard then i will evoke my right as a fare paying passenger and report it as so....

the above 'rule' i have goes for pretty much everything i do....simply because everyship and every hotel has people that believe it's either;

too old

too new

too big

too small

too hot

too cold

too cheap

too expensive.......... need i go on???

that is their choice, opinion, and their right! i will not try to take that from anyone....

me? well if things aren't the paradise i thought they were... i will go out and try to make them that way....as it's only the person having a good time that can have a good time!!!!

but one thing i will say to my cousin across the water....if RCCL want to make the Independence a 'wholly' British institution, then they are on a hiding to nothing..... believe me, the average British passenger that boards that ship (whether a Pikey-Butlins visiting one or not! ) will not appreciate it being like that, as much as an american passenger would!!

our wallets will not like it....

our taste for alcohol will not agree with it....

and how they will define British quisine i don't know!!!

trust me.... give them time to iron out the problems! as i'm sure they will...

and let's not fall OUT...

let's just fall INTO the bar and have a damn good holiday/vacation no matter what happens!!!!!!!

ps....i'll be the one trying my utmost hardest to have that good time if you're not sure where to find me!!

Great Food if your in the Iceland/Aldi crowd

Independence Of The Seas

21st May 10 Night Canary Islands Cruise

Quality of Food

Windjammer best described as a motorway service station and as busy!

Main restaurants truly atrocious, mass produced rubbish.

Portofino great service the food was to the quality I'd expect in the main restaurant.

Chops Grille If you like Frozen American beef then this place is for you, funny thing is they think it's good quality! lol obviously never tried Scotch, and a steak restaurant with no Dijon mustard says it all!

Johnny Rockets very good for what it is, and probably all the so called chefs on the Independence are capable of producing well!

Entertainment

Ice shows were OK if you like that sort of thing, the rest was pretty poor, the cruise director spends most of his time whipping up the wist drive/bingo crowd to applaud the dreadful production shows and equally poor individual entertainers

Shore Excursions n/a

We don't do shore excursions

Staff

Very good and in the case of the guy who runs the concierge club excellent, which also turned out to be a great escape from the rabble

Onboard Activities

Seemed very good, if thats your thing

Cabins

We splashed out on a Grand suite which was truly superb plenty of room a double balcony with loungers and chairs and a table which was used every morning for breakfast & occasionally for lunch

Already cancelled the Med in September, Independence is probably best described as a Piky's picnic on the seas!

I find these comments amazing. I was on the 6 May cruise and after over 35 cruises I can honestly say it was the best ever. The shows were great, Portafino's and chops were v good. I can see how you find the main restaurant menu bland, but at the end of the day its Royal Caribbean, not Silversea or Celebrity. The windjammer was as expected, ok its busy, but then the choice of food was pretty good. Far better than Celebrity. I can't wait to get back onboard in September to be honest and have 4 more cruise in Independence booked after that!

Ian

We sail on the 14th and are very excited. We sailed Freedom twice and the food is very good, I wouldn't say fabulous,but we live in an area with an abundance of great restaurants and can eat there anytime. Anyone who expects a 5 star restaurant meal, in the main dining room, on a ship of 5000, is just naive! Some people thrive on complaining and trying to draw others into their drama, ignore them!!:p Go have fun, enjoy the ship, the ports, friends and family and don't over analyze anything. Attitude is everything!:)

I was on the 21st May cruise and I got the food I was expecting for the price I paid.

RCI cruises dont cost the earth. They are cheap compared to other lines.

I think Chia Chonga you are expecting Ritz standard and quality for the price of pub grub.

Hi

I can only imagine that the 'Butlins crowd' mentioned, describes the kind of people that go to a 'holiday camp'. Here in the UK Butlins is a holiday complex, (there are different camps around the country) where entertainment is provided, there are swimming pools and activities and the accomodation is chalets or hotels. Butlins tends to attract people who are on a budget. So I would imagine people holidaying at Butlins are those who are not as fortunate to be able to take a cruise holiday. My sister goes to Butlins with her kids as this is all they can afford - but I don't think they are are lesser people :(

Lisa,

Don't worry about the posts from Chia Chonga, I have met 'Old British Snobs' many times on RCI ships - we have sailed with them 27 times. They simply have chosen the wrong cruise line for their tastes and then go about complaining and moaning about any little thing that they can pick fault with and try to spoil other peoples experience and put future cruisers off.

They quibble and moan about families with children who should be 'seen and not heard' and as with this one the quality of food is not upto a top restaurant on Queen Mary.

RCI food in the main restaurant is better than the food we cook at home so we have no complaints about it. If a meal comes and you don't like it the waiters bend over backwards to change it and, more to the point, if you like it and comment on it they will give you another one!!

The food in Portofino & Chops Grill is EXCELLENT for the extra £10.

Don't worry about it being a Butlins at seas, we were on board Independence for the naming ceremony and a short cruise afterwards and had a wonderful time!! We are really looking forward to our 14 nights on her from 26th July!

Our boys came"shopping"with us at the ports of call but our eldest stayed on in vigo (that was alot of rain and yet was one of the best ports for me)they both used the clubs, our youngest went now and again but loved it when there,I would get back on today if i could it was a great experience that i look forward to doing again (maybe on oasis if i can talk the wife into it:rolleyes: )

Hi Newbie - we are on the June 14 sailing of IOS.

Please tell me all about what you enjoyed in Vigo. It's the one port that we haven't decided what to do on.

Thanks! Can't wait to sail...

We are cruising the IOS 2/16/09. So far, there are only 2 on our roll call forum, so at least I can chat with people here!!

I can't wait to hear what people have to say about her, and about their experiences aboard.

We are sailing IOS Nov23/09 Transatlantic, Was on the freedom and loved it.

Wish Ken was the cruise director then He is the best

We ordered room service breakfast the first morning for an 8.15-8.30 slot. Got a call at 7.15 to say it was on the way! to sleepy to have our wits enough to say we werent ready.

They didnt take much notice of the quantities ordered either. There is a little box by each item on the list that you hang on the door - continental and full breakfast items available as I remember - and you write in how many of each you want, eg we ordered 3 coffees, 3 toast, 2 semi milk, 1 lowfat milk etc. We only got 2 coffees (small stainless steel thermos type jugs) and 2 cups, the 3 cartons of milk arrived, they are 1/3 pint sized, so plenty of milk.

There were all day items too, such as pizza and burgers as I recall but we didnt order anything else.

Hope that helps, have a wonderful time.

Personally, we always have room service breakfast when cruising, you have to expect that it will always be a bit hit and miss, as you are waiting for hot food etc to get to your room, so it will be good and bad.

We were on IOS for the 2nd May sailing and in the end our breakfast choices were, 2 boxes of cereal, 4 slices of toast, 2 ham omelettes with sausages, bacon, tomato, and then 2 tubs of yoghurt, with tea for 2, with one full fat and one low fat milk, that was enough to mix and do teh tea and teh cereal.

Our order was always on time, exactly at the start of tiem slot, and was always of a reasonable standard, but to be honest, it was the preffered option to going up to the WJ and getting caught up with everyone else.

We did WJ breakfast on the last day and whilst it was of better quality than RS, it wasnt as nice as relaxing in our own room still in our nightwear waking up with some nice fresh food.

Its horses for courses at the end of the day, it suits some and not others, and as long as you dont expect a gala breakfast served in your room then you will enjoy it I am sure.

REgards James

Hi Newbie - we are on the June 14 sailing of IOS.

Please tell me all about what you enjoyed in Vigo. It's the one port that we haven't decided what to do on.

Thanks! Can't wait to sail...

Hi soccermom

Vigo was my personal favourite,it has lovely beaches (even though we couldn't use them,lot's of rain)a great town with loads of shopping (kept my wife happy:D )and a spectacular cathedral if you like that sort of thing.Vigo was our last port of call and we loved ios so much they could have stopped at a public toilet and i wouldn't have minded:D .We are booked on the grand princess next year and one of our stops is Vigo so maybe no rain and i can explore a bit more.hope you have a great time and unless you are chia chonga you will :) :)

lee

Take a look a this thread if anyone is worried about life onboard Independence!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=785605

Live from Independence

great to see this thread perk up with a little 'positiveness' for all of us waiting to get on board!!

some of us have longer than others to wait!!!!!! :eek:

We are sailing IOS Nov23/09 Transatlantic, Was on the freedom and loved it.

Wish Ken was the cruise director then He is the best

Ocalacruzer, come join us on the M&M thread...we have a nice group started. Looking forward to this trip! Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=14021379#post14021379

SunnySideofSale, fancy meeting you here! :D

2. having spent time with our cousins across the pond i find them very warm and thoroughly interesting people, the same type of person I'd like to 'remember' a holiday by...

:o Awww, on behalf of your cousins across the pond, thank you. And right back at you. I met a lot of wonderful friendly UK residents on holiday when I did a 2-week land tour of Ireland in 2006 and enjoyed having a terrific English family as tablemates on our April cruise.

now to add to Lisa's points...yeah i to joined this site a few weeks ago for similar reasons.... to glean as much information from other posters as possible to allow me to facilitate #4 above!!

but just recently one or two things have hacked me off a tad!

these sorts of message boards are about opinions in general and are useful for advice as a result of that... but it appears that sometimes, if you're not prepared to tow the party line then you're simply WRONG in having you own opinion......

you just have to look at the threads that are on going at the moment!

DVDs at the dinner table....CRAYONS at the dinner table... POOR QUALITY FOOD... DRESS CODE'S....IMMERSION CRUISES.....etc etc etc

now i have opinions on all those subjects and have posted about them too, but i don't believe for one minute i should be listened too without question, or for that matter have my opinion ignored! that's the readers privilege to do what they like...IN MY OPINION!!!!

:( Yes. It is a shame (and a big turn off) when people post insulting comments or cannot politely disagree. But, while I'm new to these boards, it looks like the majority are like you (and me). People looking for information, willing to help others with answers to their questions, and just very excited to be counting down the months, weeks, days (hours, minutes, seconds???!!!) to their next cruise.

and let's not fall OUT...

let's just fall INTO the bar and have a damn good holiday/vacation no matter what happens!!!!!!!

ps....i'll be the one trying my utmost hardest to have that good time if you're not sure where to find me!!

:D Great attitude! Great post!

P.S. I notice you are cruising on the Independence exactly one year after our November 23rd cruise - I'll take good care of her for you! ;)

Yes there was alot of people but the ship was big enough to escape and yes they are trying to attract a younger crowd,which when you get to pension age, do you really want to be surrounded by people snoring everywhere with their mouths open?.As to the food we thought it was better than previous R.C.I cruises and we did go on a 4 star ship. you cannot compare with Celebrity .We also went for the ship the ports we had visited all before and just got off at a couple for a walk. Our grandson we couldnt prise of the ship at all he also never left the ship once and he certainly wasnt a nuisance to anyone as he spent the 10 days on the football court.the general opinion on the ship was that the 600 children on board were very well behaved.:) Yes the restaurant was half empty a lot of the time and their are lots of reasons that happens on all cruises.tired after a days tour back ,too late to get ready, fancy a change and not wanting to dress up(Although i did notice some people didnt bother about that) and particularly on the last night to avoid the tips:confused: i thought the ice shows were top class and the comedian also.

MUM AT 90 couldnt chew very well and her meals were changed immediately to something she could cope with. you will always get different people on cruise ships and we are not there to judge whether they should be on it or not. if they can pay the fare they have a right to be on it and if you dont like mixing with the masses you have to pay more and go to the 6 star lines

Lisa,

Don't worry about the posts from Chia Chonga, I have met 'Old British Snobs' many times on RCI ships - we have sailed with them 27 times. They simply have chosen the wrong cruise line for their tastes and then go about complaining and moaning about any little thing that they can pick fault with and try to spoil other peoples experience and put future cruisers off.

They quibble and moan about families with children who should be 'seen and not heard' and as with this one the quality of food is not upto a top restaurant on Queen Mary.

RCI food in the main restaurant is better than the food we cook at home so we have no complaints about it. If a meal comes and you don't like it the waiters bend over backwards to change it and, more to the point, if you like it and comment on it they will give you another one!!

The food in Portofino & Chops Grill is EXCELLENT for the extra £10.

Don't worry about it being a Butlins at seas, we were on board Independence for the naming ceremony and a short cruise afterwards and had a wonderful time!! We are really looking forward to our 14 nights on her from 26th July!

I love this statement-"If a meal comes and you don't like it the waiters bend over backwards to change it and, more to the point, if you like it and comment on it they will give you another one!!"

This is sooo true.On one of our cruises the waiter brought a special pasta to lady at our table as she didn't care for the entrees.

You get what you pay for!!! Love RC and will always cruise with them.Anxiously waiting for anytime dining.

Hi all

Thanks for the positive comments - I am now cheered again:D

A silly question came to mind when I was reading about room service in James' reply.

Could someone let me know about the breakfast arrangements please. Are the options Windjammer or room service? Is the main restaurant closed at breakfast / lunchtime and only open in the evenings?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that breakfast was served in the main dining room on cruising days only (i.e non-port days) but could be completely wrong......:confused:

Many thanks in advance.

Lisa

I love this statement-"If a meal comes and you don't like it the waiters bend over backwards to change it and, more to the point, if you like it and comment on it they will give you another one!!"

This is sooo true.On one of our cruises the waiter brought a special pasta to lady at our table as she didn't care for the entrees.

You get what you pay for!!! Love RC and will always cruise with them.Anxiously waiting for anytime dining.

ITS HERE already on Brill, Sere, and Freedom Of The Seas.