All things Independence of the Seas

Great Food if your in the Iceland/Aldi crowd

Independence Of The Seas

21st May 10 Night Canary Islands Cruise

Quality of Food

Windjammer best described as a motorway service station and as busy!

Main restaurants truly atrocious, mass produced rubbish.

Portofino great service the food was to the quality I'd expect in the main restaurant.

Chops Grille If you like Frozen American beef then this place is for you, funny thing is they think it's good quality! lol obviously never tried Scotch, and a steak restaurant with no Dijon mustard says it all!

Johnny Rockets very good for what it is, and probably all the so called chefs on the Independence are capable of producing well!

Entertainment

Ice shows were OK if you like that sort of thing, the rest was pretty poor, the cruise director spends most of his time whipping up the wist drive/bingo crowd to applaud the dreadful production shows and equally poor individual entertainers

Shore Excursions n/a

We don't do shore excursions

Staff

Very good and in the case of the guy who runs the concierge club excellent, which also turned out to be a great escape from the rabble

Onboard Activities

Seemed very good, if thats your thing

Cabins

We splashed out on a Grand suite which was truly superb plenty of room a double balcony with loungers and chairs and a table which was used every morning for breakfast & occasionally for lunch

Already cancelled the Med in September, Independence is probably best described as a Piky's picnic on the seas!

Independence Of The Seas

Quality of Food

Portofino great service the food was to the quality I'd expect in the main restaurant.

Chops Grille If you like Frozen American beef then this place is for you, funny thing is they think it's good quality! lol obviously never tried Scotch, and a steak restaurant with no Dijon mustard says it all!

Johnny Rockets very good for what it is, and probably all the so called chefs on the Independence are capable of producing well!

Entertainment

Ice shows were OK if you like that sort of thing, the rest was pretty poor, the cruise director spends most of his time whipping up the wist drive/bingo crowd to applaud the dreadful production shows and equally poor individual entertainers

Shore Excursions n/a

Staff

Very good and in the case of the guy who runs the concierge club excellent, which also turned out to be a great escape from the rabble

Onboard Activities

Cabins

We splashed out on a Grand suite which was truly superb plenty of room a double balcony with loungers and chairs and a table which was used every morning for breakfast & occasionally for lunch

Already cancelled the Med in September, Independence is probably best described as a Piky's picnic on the seas!

Hey Chia, obviously you have never cruised RCI before and you don't deserve to cruise RCI with an attitude like yours and the incredible negative comments you have made. Obviously RCI does not fit the pompass lifestyle you are acustomed to. You are definetley in the minority here as the Indy has received several very positive reviews. You belong on an ELITE cruise to go along with your elitist attitude. Leave us normal people alone and we will enjoy Indy and other RCI cruises.

Hey Chia, obviously you have never cruised RCI before and you don't deserve to cruise RCI with an attitude like yours and the incredible negative comments you have made. Obviously RCI does not fit the pompass lifestyle you are acustomed to. You are definetley in the minority here as the Indy has received several very positive reviews. You belong on an ELITE cruise to go along with your elitist attitude. Leave us normal people alone and we will enjoy Indy and other RCI cruises.

:rolleyes:Sailed on the Legend actually and the food on that ship was much better, My opinion is just as valid as yours and I tend to say what I think, as for not 'deserving to sail RCI' I'd say anybody with a clue about good food, should steer well clear, that does not make me "pompass" just means I recognise poor quality food when I see it!

:rolleyes:Sailed on the Legend actually and the food on that ship was much better, My opinion is just as valid as yours and I tend to say what I think, as for not 'deserving to sail RCI' I'd say anybody with a clue about good food, should steer well clear, that does not make me "pompass" just means I recognise poor quality food when I see it!

I happen to find the food on RCI very good and the two speciality restaurants outstanding. There is nothing poor quality about the food on RCI.

I worked as a chef for twenty odd years, with time spent in two of London's top hotels the Sheraton Park Lane & the Intercontinental on Hyde Park corner and I've dined all over the world including Paris, Rome etc and the excellent (American)Todd English on the Queen Mary, and I'm sure there's plenty of people would also share my opinion about the Independence!

O>K you being a chef how would you improve the food on Indy, taking into account you have to pepare up to 6000 menus aday??????????????

Please dont compare to specialty on Queen mary as it could not feed 3000 passengers to Quality you compare it to. Also on QM in main resturant its plated just like on Indy, food slightly better, than RCCL but not better or same as on good Celebrity Ships, the old days of gormet food on BIG cruise ships have unfortunatly long gone....cant comment on small lines like Azamara or Oceana not done em......

On Indy for Launch and like Liberty shes a great Ship with great crew God bless all who sail on her.............. .

What a shame you were disappointed Chia Chonga.

I have just read a review by Magna posted on the boards who has just been on the Indy Canaries Cruise (possibly the same cruise) and who had a fabulous time and full of compliments - your 2 reviews couldn't be more different.

For the US folks on the board the word 'Pikey' is an alternative word for gypsy and the term is used in a negative way - my take on it is that Chia used the word in the context that the experience felt 'down-market'?? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Chia - I know you have made a lot of comments in your post, but what made you feel the cruise wasn't up to scratch? It certainly is a beautiful ship and looks spectacular. Your cruise and upcoming Med/Canaries cruises are not cheap or aimed at the budget traveller, so I wonder how the 'rabble' managed to afford it? Was there something specific that upset you?

I guess if you have worked in the restaurant/catering industry for many years, you will know quality food when you see it - was it really that bad??

I guess we have to take the bad reviews with the good ones on these boards and luckily, there have been some fabulous reviews of the Indy (and other RCI ships).

I just hope that Chia's experience was in the minority?

O>K you being a chef how would you improve the food on Indy, taking into account you have to pepare up to 6000 menus aday??????????????

Please dont compare to specialty on Queen mary as it could not feed 3000 passengers to Quality you compare it to. Also on QM in main resturant its plated just like on Indy, food slightly better, than RCCL but not better or same as on good Celebrity Ships, the old days of gormet food on BIG cruise ships have unfortunatly long gone....cant comment on small lines like Azamara or Oceana not done em......

On Indy for Launch and like Liberty shes a great Ship with great crew God bless all who sail on her.............. .

The main restaurants were half empty at both meal times, wether that be down to the food or not remains unanswered, all the members of staff we spoke to in the restaurant said they were looking to transfer off the Independence asap, as the tip money they rely on is not getting to them due to the lack of customers. Maybe if RCI let people opt out of main dining room when booking then the chefs could produce better food for lower numbers instead of preparing food for no shows, as for Todd English on the QM2 it far exceeds anything that Portofino or Chops Grill have to offer!

Chia - was the cruise full do you know?

That could be why the main dining rooms were empty? Were there other customers complaining about the food at all?

We were told the ship was nigh on full, and yes there were other diners complaining about the food, The menus were all very uninspiring and as you said not cheap, RCI like other lines maybe need to get a big name chef to come in and update the very dated menus

The main restaurants were half empty at both meal times, wether that be down to the food or not remains unanswered, all the members of staff we spoke to in the restaurant said they were looking to transfer off the Independence asap, as the tip money they rely on is not getting to them due to the lack of customers. Maybe if RCI let people opt out of main dining room when booking then the chefs could produce better food for lower numbers instead of preparing food for no shows, as for Todd English on the QM2 it far exceeds anything that Portofino or Chops Grill have to offer!

Todd English should be as its one of the top signature resturants franchised onto QM....

Whilst Chops and Porto are ok the speciality rest... on Celeb I think is better..........

Was the Ex Chef still the little bonde German girl, if so I will email her and let her Know your concerns...........

Was Evlyn still the resturant manager also............

I find your slam of "American beef" completely inappropriate! What kind of sicko puts mustard on steak anyways...? Please don't reschedule your September trip to a sailing that I'm on.

What kind of sicko puts mustard on steak anyways...?

:o Me...........

Not adding anything else to the heated debate as I have said my bit on that......but in reply to your question; mustard is a traditional condiment here in the UK and lots of us Brits love a bit of mustard with a good steak. Or even a bad one :eek:

Independence Of The Seas

Quality of Food

Entertainment

Shore Excursions n/a

Staff

Onboard Activities

Cabins

Either it was really bad, although many many more reviews say different to your report or

you are very picky and hard to please or

You are very Snobbish, your comments we often eat in our room and stayed in the concierge club to escape the rabble.

If you were that bothered about mixing with others that are supposedly beneath you, then why did you go in the first place?

Why did you go??:)

Either it was really bad, although many many more reviews say different to your report or

you are very picky and hard to please or

You are very Snobbish, your comments we often eat in our room and stayed in the concierge club to escape the rabble.

If you were that bothered about mixing with others that are supposedly beneath you, then why did you go in the first place?

Why did you go??:)

My point is, that if you think, say a meal at your local Harvester is a highlight in cuisine then the Independence is for you, if not don't bother, look elsewhere!

We met with and mixed with quite a few people, but it seems the ship is being set up for the Butlins crowd and I suspect that's what RCI will get!

My point is, that if you think, say a meal at your local Harvester is a highlight in cuisine then the Independence is for you, if not don't bother, look elsewhere!

We met with and mixed with quite a few people, but it seems the ship is being set up for the Butlins crowd and I suspect that's what RCI will get!

A valid point if it evolves that way.

Hopefully it will not, but if it becomes that way then it will be back to the Carribean cruises for a better experience for us.

Will find out in July.

Independence Of The Seas

Quality of Food

Entertainment

Shore Excursions n/a

Staff

Onboard Activities

Cabins

Were we really on the same cruise? you weren't the miserable moaning couple opposite us at dinner were you??? If you were you provided us with some great entertainement!

I actually take offence at your last comment.... Piky's picnic at sea???

I am no piky nor were anyone else who sailed on her May 21st.:eek:

:confused:

Here,here .

we had a great time,How lucky are we not to have met chia chonga:p

Tell me about it...:confused: I had a fab fab fab time!!!

We loved it ,for us the trip was all about the ship i wasn't bothered about the excursions but i do wish i had booked one for tenerife everything was shut and it was a ghost town but hey at least we got more time on the ship:)

Same here, our youngest never set foot on dry land until we arrived back in Southampton!

When we did get off, I couldn't wait to get back on her!!

Our boys came"shopping"with us at the ports of call but our eldest stayed on in vigo (that was alot of rain and yet was one of the best ports for me)they both used the clubs, our youngest went now and again but loved it when there,I would get back on today if i could it was a great experience that i look forward to doing again (maybe on oasis if i can talk the wife into it:rolleyes: )

Were we really on the same cruise? you weren't the miserable moaning couple opposite us at dinner were you??? If you were you provided us with some great entertainement!

:cool:The Pikys comment was not meant to cause offense just a bit of humour, and how I'm sure Britain's best chef Marco Pierre White and any decent chef would also describe the ship, and no we didn't share with you at dinner, but from your comments it seems we weren't the only ones who found the food poor in the main restaurants!;)