spray tanning

cheermom4

Some people love it but I would try it out a month ahead of time in case you are one of those that hates it. You don't want to show up for a cruise and be all streaky. That happened to my husband who can't get in the sun without sunscreen and he was a disaster.

Linda

I have had airbrush tanning done where someone actually sprays it on you. . I loved that.. it worked very well. no streaks or anything. I also did the booth and the booth left streaks on my knees, elbows, ankles and stuff. . I didn't like that at all. I moved awhile ago and the booths are all we have around our home now. :(

I did the booth a few years ago before going to Hawaii. It gives you a nice tan, however I noticed when I was getting "real sun" tan, there were some spots it would be uneven because the spray on would eventually wear off...So I would caution against using it. I spent a lot of time trying to moisture, loofah and scrub off the uneven spots after getting the real tan...

Unless you are going to do spray on and then stay out of the sun that would work better...Just my experience.

Booth tan looked terrible. Spray tan started turning blotchy and I freaked out and washed it off too early. The blotchiness was not on my skin, it was just the stuff they used. I thought I was tanning unevenly. I wished I wouldn't have washed it off. I ended up being lightly tanned but it looked great.

it starts to fade after the first few days.. I think mine lasted maybe 5 if that.. you have to use lotion alot to help it stay longer. . but I think mine was totally gone by like day 7. If you have it done more than once before you go. . like a day or two apart then it will stay longer depending on how dark it is.

I have had it done before and plan on doing it again. I really dont lay out in the sun to get a tan though so dont know how that would affect it. I like it and get it done for most cruises. Last cruise, I didnt have time and the pics ... oh my god...they are horrible. This time, both hubby and I will get them. Remember,in my personal expereience to be careful in dry areas of skin, for ex., the knees, elbows, fingers, you may want to start putting on lotion, use loofah pad, etc for these areas then that way, it will look better. To tell you the truth, I would take the slight uneveness of a spray tan than the white and brightness of last years pictures! ;)

I had a (booth) spray tan done 2 years ago before my friends wedding. We were just coming out of a wonderful (READ: cold, snowy, dreary) Ohio winter and I needed some color because I was as white as a sheet, and she was nice enough to put us in baby pink chiffon. So... I obviously needed something! I would suggest using a sugar scrub all over before spraying, and moisturizing on the days following. Mine lasted about... a week before I had to scrub it all off. This time around, for the cruise I will be spending my time in a tanning bed.

I just want to mention to those of you who may not realize it that if you get a spray tan, airbrush tan, Mystic tan, etc. (i.e., UV-free tanning)....this will *not* protect you from getting a sunburn when you get out in the actual sun.

Hi CheerMom!

I do the spray tan before all my cruises and love it. The personalized air brush is better than the booth but even the booth is better than white thighs!! It's certainly a lot healthier than tanning.

It lasts longer if it goes on smooth skin and if you faithfully moisturize after all water sports.

i have lupus so i cant lay out in the sun and i have to constantly wear sunscreen thats why i was wondering about the spray tan and does any one know how long a spray tan will last[/quote

I also have lupus and can't be in the sun. I went and tried the spray on tan last week. It came out even, and seems to be holding up. I have been using oil of olay lotion with tint to keep it looking nice. It does not look orange at all. Give it a try and see how well you like it. The tanning salon I go to, suggested doing the spray a couple of times the last few days before I leave for our cruise, and using a lotion with the tinting. It helps the color retain and if it begins coming off unevenly that will help smooth it out so it doesn't get streaky.

My thought was, with it being my only option for a tan why not give it a try. It can't hurt, and you might be pleasantly surprised like I was.

Karen:)

Just to let you know both Banana Boat and Coppertone have a spray on sunblock with 60 spf. The spray on is great because you know you are covering everything. I am sure neither one of us wants a "flare up" during our cruises or when we get back home. Enjoy your cruise!

Karen

They will rub off if you get a massage on the beach!

Check out the liquid that bodybuilders use... I think it's by Muscle Up, and called Pro Tan.

You paint it on with a sponge brush. It lasts longer than the booth or spray tans, and doesn't rub off during massage.

Definitley do an exfoliation on your body using a sugar or salt scrub prior to the spray tan (or a loofah). If you have any dry patches they will be darker than your smooth skin!

Don't wear white clothes to your spray tan because while it will be dry, will also rub off a bit and get on your clothes and stain them. WHile I have tried it and liked it, I also had a base tan and was just looking to "even out" before my vacation. You can try mystictan dot com too for more info.

Hope this helps!

I would definately try it a few weeks before if you have never done it. Last year, before we went to the beach (not a cruise- just a week at the beach) and did not have time to tan so my daughter and I went to tanning salon and got a spray on. Hers was fine- a few streaks but not too bad. She had to use sun screen so she did not burn though after she got there.

But... I found out I was allergic to that stuff. It looked ok but I itched like crazy all week and just scratched my legs till there were redder from that than the sun.:D

So, we (white now) are going on a cruise spring break and are going to the tanning salon for a little color and so we won't burn down there.

I use the Mystic brand of sunless spray tanning from my local salon all of the time. I LOVE it (and am a bit addicted as well :) ). Mystic has 4 different shades, so it looks more natural with your skin type. I usually shower first making sure to exfoliate, go to the tanning salon and tan in a "fake bake" booth (it opens your pores to take in the color better) and then I Mystic tan.

If you follow the instructions, it works really well and you won't streak. Keep in mind you won't be able to shower for 4-6 hours afterward. For me, my tan doesn't really start to show up until the 4th hour....so don't be alarmed if you aren't "tan" immediately. My tanning salon offers scented mystic, and I love it. Otherwise it does smell a little funny.

If you should happen to streak, they usually can sell you a little packet of lotion or spray to can touch it up with. I prefer the spray, because I can use it more than once as opposed to the foil packages that you typically open and then have to use and throw away. Also, if there is an area you want to remove some from, Purell (the hand sanitizer) has worked great for me for this purpose.

My Mystic tans usually last awhile, at least a week. I try to touch-up when I can with a "fake bake" booth session in between Mystics and it makes it last longer.

My only word of caution is that sunless tanning will NOT keep you from getting sunburned.

Hi Cheermom4, I have had skin cancer and avoid the sun as far as trying to tan. I went and got the airbrush tan last year and it was great. It didn't streak or turn orange. The lady was very professional and suggested I not go to dark because I am so light skinned. She did it just right. It lasted 7 or 8 days and it just gradually faded, nothing drastic and only noticeable to you. Hope this helps. Forgive the spelling please.

I use the Mystic brand of sunless spray tanning from my local salon all of the time. I LOVE it (and am a bit addicted as well :) ). Mystic has 4 different shades, so it looks more natural with your skin type. I usually shower first making sure to exfoliate, go to the tanning salon and tan in a "fake bake" booth (it opens your pores to take in the color better) and then I Mystic tan.

If you follow the instructions, it works really well and you won't streak. Keep in mind you won't be able to shower for 4-6 hours afterward. For me, my tan doesn't really start to show up until the 4th hour....so don't be alarmed if you aren't "tan" immediately. My tanning salon offers scented mystic, and I love it. Otherwise it does smell a little funny.

man, she said it perfectly! she sounds like she could work at the salon I work at haha

Some people love it (myself included), and some people hate it. I suggest you do it a few weeks in advance, to try it out. It'll last 5-6 days, and can not shower 4-6 hours after. Wait longer if you can (like going to bed without showering), and in the morning it'll be darker! Do 2 sessions a couple days apart and it'll be even darker. Make sure you go in with no lotion or perfume on, and "fake bake" before (doesn't matter what level bed), just to open your pores. If the salon wants to sell you a sample lotion to tan with, thats fine. As long as it's ONLY an accelerator, with no bronzers. make sure of this, as the bronzers in the lotion will mix with the mystic solution and it will be blotchy. I know all planet beach's have the Mystic Spray Tan, but am not sure what other salons have this type of spray tanning. Make sure you exfoliate really well before going in, and follow the salons instructions on how to do it.

I did this before a spring break cruise in 06. Worked well, as around your area for recommendations. Be sure to exfoliate everywhere before tanning. When you step out of the booth and are damp, go over your toes/fingers knuckles and wipe off excess. And remember this is not a sun block--you'll still need sunscreen. Bathing, chlorine and salt water, all make it fade faster. I think I was actually more tanned at the start of the cruise than at the end. But was happy with that.

I do not tan so yes I have to do something or I am way too pasty.

I have done both the airbrush tanning and the mystic booth tanning.

The airbrush will last up to a week if you take care of it. There use to be a company that made some of the tan spray. It had an automatic bronzer. I could not find it this past year. I used that to touch up my spray tan. It worked perfectly and I was able to keep my tan at a medium color the entire lenght of my cruise.

The Mystic Booth is something you need to do for at least a month to get use to. With them it is so important that you learn your skin and how it will react. Also if the solution is low in the booth when you go you will not get as deep of a tan. Depending on the shade I get will depend how often I go. Normally about every 3 days. That tells you know long it will last. Not that long at all.

One of the things I have found that is important is knowing your dry areas. If you know what is dry and you use the lotion that is available (booth or airbrushing) you can learn to get a great tan. Of course you can not have deodrant or any lotion on. It is best to take a shower before you go and make sure not to use soap, shampoo, lotion or deodrant. Shave before you go. I normally just use water and nothing else when I shave prior to tanning. If you go Mystic you need to invest in their lotions/gels to help get a deeper tan. It really does work. I have their newest gel and love it. You use it when you under in the room. I put it all over my body. It is interesting getting it on your back. I then use the lotion that is available and put that on my hands, between my fingers, on my nails, on my eyebrows, in the creases of my airs and knees, on my knees and on my feet. This will protect you from getting too much tanning solution in the wrong areas. With Mystic the way you towel off has to do with spreading the solution on your body.

I think the cruiselines need to start offering the spray tanning onboard.

I think how well thse work all depend on your skin tone and how well you prepare. I am very white and don't tan very well. I tried this on my last cruise. I did an at home exfoliation first and applied the moisturizer liberally to my hands, feet, knees etc as instructed. Well, I loved the tan it gave me for the most part, but I guess I didn't apply the moisturizer to my hands/feet liberally enough. Like I said I am very white and my hands/feet were brown!!! It looked like I had some sort of problem. So, next time I would glob on the lotion on my hands (ie leave it white) and if the mystic tan didn't soak in enough I would touch up later. It's easier to add than subtract. I don't know your skin tone, but I would also suggest using Nuetrogena sunless tanning in the lightest shade they have. It comes out quite light the 1st time, but then you can reaapply the next day or so and if you weren't even before you would be after the 2nd application. Much cheaper than the spray tan and you can bring with you on the cruise to darken your tan as you go!

Archived