Patmos questions

We will be visiting this port towards the end of our Holy Land cruise this summer, after we have visited Rome, Pompeii, Egypt, Israel, and Ephesus.

We are thinking about making this more of a relaxing day (after close to two weeks of intense touring of major historical sites), and visiting one of the beach areas instead.

We are wondering if anyone has specific suggestions for our family (2 adults and 3 kids, age 9-17) about locations or activities we should look into?

Any favorite restaurants on the Island?

Is it easy to travel by cab on Patmos?

THANKS!:)

We spent half a day on Patmos last summer, which was more than enough time. It's a small island, especially compared to Rhodes, and the main attractions (WELL worth seeing!) are the cave where St. John wrote the Apocalypse, and the Monastery of St. John--neither of which is within walking distance from the port. There is a small shopping area with a few restaurants, but nothing particularly striking about it. And there's a little beach just down from the port, but the sand is very fine and dirty, and I really disliked it, couldn't get the grit out from between my toes!

IMHO, if you want to chill at a restaurant or do some shopping on a Greek island, the place to do it is Rhodes (assuming your tour will go there?), not Patmos. I had an extra hour or 90 minutes down around the port after we finished the ship's tour of the St. John's sites, and had trouble finding something to do. Probably the best place to hang out on Patmos is up at the monastery, which is on the very top of the island and affords absolutely spectacular views.

Thanks...we will probably end up hiring a cab so we can see some of the sights, and take in the view from the monastery....too bad about the beach, as this is our only real opportunity to have a beach day this vacation (we are not visiting Rhodes), but perhaps will try to find some other outdoor activities instead.

• 2 weeks later...
Whale watcher,

Glad you asked this question. I was thinking on doing the same thing with the port intensive cruise that we have. I am going to search more on patmos beaches.

Daphna

We are thinking of taking a cab to Agrolivado Beach...here is what we have learned so far from a search (not much):
Agrolivado Beach

This beach is just up the coast from Meloi, there is kayak and watersports rental available, and a choice of TWO tavernas on the beach!

The beach is SANDY rather than the usual pebbles and rocks, and as it so close to Skala, tends to be busier than some of the more out of the way beaches and coves.

Of course, this is still a million miles away from resorts where mutli-storey apartment blocks sit cheek by jowl right up to the waters edge!

Beautifull clear water - ideal for snorkelling, or just a swim.

Archived