Miami - What to do/see for a day?

jkeitch

I originally posted in the Florida ports of call forum, but had little success there.

After our cruise, we've given ourselves an extra day to explore Miami before heading back to the cold and wet North we call home.

Anyway, any suggestions would be great. We will be renting a car so we can explore at our leisure. Only thing for sure is we want to check out an air boat tour on the everglades and hit South Beach.

Any airboat tours in particular that are better than others? Is South Beach the best place to go to check out the beach scene? We've never been to miami, or east coast US for that matter.

We're also looking for a cheap hotel as well if you have any recommendations.

Thanks,

JK

JK, HI there. Depending on what time of year your visit will be, the Everglades and SoBe is do-able but it will be a long day. Also depends on vicinity of Miami or Miami Beach you will be staying. There is a great area of Miami called Coconut Grove which I, as a Miamian, prefer over SoBe. It is close to I-95 access which will make it easier & quicker to get to Everglades & SoBe as well as the airport, plus Coconut Grove is much more beautiful, the shops are better & so is the food, although its on Biscayne Bay and not the ocean. Sales tax at restaurants is also lower than Miami Beach.I wouldn't stay in SoBe if it was free but thats my opinion. The hotel rates can be high in both Sobe & Coconut Grove. Try the Doubletree in Coconut Grove. Don't go during President's Day weekend. Parking will be a major problem in SoBe or Coconut Grove due to Boat Show in SoBe and Coconut Grove Art Festival. I will say that the beach scene is great in SoBe for people watching and bar hopping with plenty of money in hand for parking & bars. The good airboat rides are found on Tamiami Trail (US 41)...go early! They're all about the same. Hope this helps & have fun on your cruise.

While in Miami, I've enjoyed exploring Vizcaya

http://www.co.miami-dade.fl.us/vizcaya/

The Coral Castle...a tourist trap for sure, but still interesting.

http://www.coralcastle.com/

The Art Deco architecture of SoBe.

Some Cuban food at http://www.coralcastle.com/

Great breakfasts at:

http://www.southbeach-usa.com/restaurants/reviews/jerrys-famous-deli.htm

Fort Lauderdale isn't very far and a water taxi ride or boat tour on the intercoastal is nice too.

A tour of the bay in Miami is fun too.

Hope it helps :)

We prefer the beaches on Key Biscayne. There are several hotels there and the beaches are great. There isn't much out there but the beach though. The Everglades tours are pretty far out from where you are that is why they said it would be a long day. I have lived in Florida all my life and never done one but would like to. There are MANY things to do in Miami it just depends on your personal tastes.

JK, I'm so glad you posted this! We are in a similar situation, except that we won't be staying an extra night. Our flight home out of Miami isn't until 8pm, so we're looking for recommendations on what to do for the day too. We are going mid-February. There are 7 of us (5 adults, 1 20-year old, 1 12-year old), and we have rented a minivan for the day. We are going to use the luggage valet service to have our luggage take care of, so we won't have to worry about that.

The airboat rides sound fun, if anyone can recommend specific companies? Has anyone heard about the Metro Zoo in Miami? Would that be worthwhile?

Thanks!

We took the Island Queen tour of the mansions and "Star Island". You embark from the Bayside Marketplace. It was a good tour and was only like $17 for the both of us with an Entertainment Book coupon :)

Both the MetroZoo and the air boat tour are a very good drive from downtown. Make sure you have a good nav system in your car if you go. MetroZoo is out in a semi residential area. There is also Jungle Gardens near the port.

I thought Wolfie's closed yrs. ago? I used to love that place.

We prefer the beaches on Key Biscayne. There are several hotels there and the beaches are great. There isn't much out there but the beach though. The Everglades tours are pretty far out from where you are that is why they said it would be a long day. I have lived in Florida all my life and never done one but would like to. There are MANY things to do in Miami it just depends on your personal tastes.

I live on Key Biscayne! And the beaches on this lovely island are indeed beautiful! :-)

Both the MetroZoo and the air boat tour are a very good drive from downtown. Make sure you have a good nav system in your car if you go. MetroZoo is out in a semi residential area. There is also Jungle Gardens near the port.

I thought Wolfie's closed yrs. ago? I used to love that place.

Yup, its closed. Great place wasn't it?

I thought Wolfie's had closed but a it was referenced in an above post so I thought maybe it was another "Senior Moment" for me. They did a full piece on our local news here in Sarasota about the closing of a SOBE landmark! We would drive from the Parrot Jungle area just to eat at Wolfie's. I spent much of my life on Key Biscayne so it has a special place in my heart. Spent many hrs. at the Lipton/Ericcson/Nasdaq...whatever they are calling it now.

I thought Wolfie's had closed but a it was referenced in an above post so I thought maybe it was another "Senior Moment" for me. They did a full piece on our local news here in Sarasota about the closing of a SOBE landmark! We would drive from the Parrot Jungle area just to eat at Wolfie's. I spent much of my life on Key Biscayne so it has a special place in my heart. Spent many hrs. at the Lipton/Ericcson/Nasdaq...whatever they are calling it now.

Hi Pinkrosesdeb, I forget what its called now too and I live here. I don't go anymore but used to quite a bit. Now its just a traffic nuisance to me. I've lived here for many years & seen the many changes on the island as you well know too. Some great, some sad. Sarasota is very beautiful also. You & I are both very lucky to live where we do, but I am ready for a change of residence when I retire.

Funny how many of us are looking for something to do for a day.

Another option, one I am considering is a day cruise to the Bahamas. This would get DD over there for a day while DW stays at the hotel working all day remotely using her blackberry and laptop.

Trying to find the best pricing for a day cruise, but think it could be a fun way to spend a day. Unfortunately it sure wouldn't be the RCCL experience we will have the next day when we head out to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman.

Hi Pinkrosesdeb, I forget what its called now too and I live here. I don't go anymore but used to quite a bit. Now its just a traffic nuisance to me. I've lived here for many years & seen the many changes on the island as you well know too. Some great, some sad. Sarasota is very beautiful also. You & I are both very lucky to live where we do, but I am ready for a change of residence when I retire.

Tell ya what -- I'm not going to be retiring any time soon, but let's compare property values and do a house swap. I've been wanting to move to Florida for about three years now.

I've lived in New York, North Carolina, Texas and Alaska. I'd sure like to add sunny Florida to that list. Of course, I'd probably go broke because I'd probably cruise A LOT more.

That WOULD be a swap...Alaska to Florida...total climate shock for sure! This would be the time to look at Florida because as so much of the rest of the nation our real estate values are seriously depressed! Sarasota holds it own on price because we are truly seasonal. Lots of "snowbirds" here every yr. Miami is stuggling quite a bit Key Biscayne should be holding its own because it is pretty unique to the area.

Tell ya what -- I'm not going to be retiring any time soon, but let's compare property values and do a house swap. I've been wanting to move to Florida for about three years now.

I've lived in New York, North Carolina, Texas and Alaska. I'd sure like to add sunny Florida to that list. Of course, I'd probably go broke because I'd probably cruise A LOT more.

BadBoysDriveAudi, lets swap during hurricane seasons only (not ready to relinquish the gold mine so quickly) we'll stay at your place, and you here. How do you like living in Alaska BTW?

Pinkrosesdeb, its a real shame. Gone are the good days of Chalks air and the fishing boats at the marina there on Watson Island. Remember the funny little fish market? You could get a delicious fish sandwich there. Makes me sad. Did your family sell it before it moved to Watson Island?

Yes, they sold while it was still in Pinecrest. We lived right next door. We used to love to take our girls over to Watson Island and watch the cruise ships leave, the Chalks planes land and for awhile watch the blimps come and go. Miami was a magical place and so very beautiful. It will always be that way in my memory. My grandfather used to be 1 of the groundskeepers at Crandon Park! Used to love the kiddie rides there and the zoo was there then too. Many changes...but, then, many changes in myself too!!!

We just stayed at the Double Tree Grand and were practically right at the docks for the cruise ships. You can choose a downtown or water/marina view. We got the marina view and when I woke up in the morning our ship was docked just across the bridge!! There were manatees playing in the water outside my hotel window in the marina water!

We ate at BubbaGump Shrimp down on the water. There are a bunch of shops there and a festive feeling all around. If you don't have to go far we just opted to take the free rail system instead of renting a car! I LOVED Miami. The sunrise over the bay was unforgetable.

Enjoy the picture!

677739004_MiamiSunrise3.jpg.04a9207a6b6cc919bc914cf6ef4292b0.jpg

Archived