Dressing for Dinner with Kids?

Ibex

We are sailing on 2/2 on Liberty. We are bringing all 4 kids -- 15 yr old girl [who is a SERIOUS Tomboy -- currently doesn't own a skirt or dress], 8 yr old boy, 4 yr old girl and 18 mo old girl.

How strictly are the main dining room dress rules applies for the kids? What kind of outfit can my 15 yr old get away with? Does my 8 yr old son need a suit?!?!?

We are sailing on 2/2 on Liberty. We are bringing all 4 kids -- 15 yr old girl [who is a SERIOUS Tomboy -- currently doesn't own a skirt or dress], 8 yr old boy, 4 yr old girl and 18 mo old girl.

How strictly are the main dining room dress rules applies for the kids? What kind of outfit can my 15 yr old get away with? Does my 8 yr old son need a suit?!?!?

I am sure I'll get flamed for this but the dress code is not strictly enforced. Your eight year old doesn't need a suit - it would be preferential for formal night but not required. Your tomboy will do fine in nice pants and tops.

It's vacation - don't stress too much about the clothes

I am sure I'll get flamed for this but the dress code is not strictly enforced. Your eight year old doesn't need a suit - it would be preferential for formal night but not required. Your tomboy will do fine in nice pants and tops.

It's vacation - don't stress too much about the clothes

We've been on 2 cruises with kids and our son never had a suit. He happens to own one that fits now, so if it still fits in March we will probably bring it. He has always worn dress pants, a nice shirt, and a tie (which he takes off soon after dinner).

For the tomboy, I'd suggest getting a nice pair of black pants, and as dressy a top as she'll agree to. :-)

i also have a serious tomboy, age 13 so i understand your dilemma. many people will suggest "a nice top and pants" or "a nice pantsuit" (no offense to anyone who suggests that) but i understand that with a serious tomboy that won't work. my daughter agreed to wear khaki dockers with a golf shirt each night in the dining room and for formal nights she is wearing black dockers and one of my blazers with a light blue dress shirt one night and a tux shirt another night. we've tried on the suit combos and it's all good, she looks dressed up without looking manly and also not the least bit girly.

hope this helps!

Up until now, my son, who is now 15, always wore black dockers and white dress shirt for formal night, and khaki dockers and a collared polo shirt on other nights. There was no way, (a) he was getting into a suit and (b) I was going to buy one for him when he'd be growing out of it in three months or less. The boy's 6'1 and still growing). He has asked us to buy him a suit for formal night for our upcoming March cruise, so I guess he's coming out of that anti suit era. :)

Neither of my kids were ever asked to leave the dinning room due to the dress code. Of course there were adults who didn't look as nice, but that is another story. For my little guy, he wore nice pants (think dockers) for regular nights and for formal night he wore black pants. Every night he wore a button down shirt. My dd wore nice pants and shirts each night. I did get her into a dress for formal night. But she isn't as tomboy as some girls.

Honestly, some people wear jeans or shorts in the main dining room. Of course some people frown on that, but I've never seen anyone thrown out, children or adults. My son always wears khakis and a button down on regular nights and dark slacks and a button down on formal nights. No ties. He's only 3 and wouldn't keep one on, if I actually managed to ever get it on. My daughter (9) wears either nice capris or sun dresses for the main dining room.

i also have a serious tomboy, age 13 so i understand your dilemma. many people will suggest "a nice top and pants" or "a nice pantsuit" (no offense to anyone who suggests that) but i understand that with a serious tomboy that won't work. my daughter agreed to wear khaki dockers with a golf shirt each night in the dining room and for formal nights she is wearing black dockers and one of my blazers with a light blue dress shirt one night and a tux shirt another night. we've tried on the suit combos and it's all good, she looks dressed up without looking manly and also not the least bit girly.

hope this helps!

Yes! This is helpful. My daughter is a "skater-type" and lives in skate clothes.

Thanks to everyone!!! I feel a bit more relaxed. I think I may be able to get her into black dockers and white shirt! Now we just have to go shopping.... ugh!

Archived