Anyone who has been on both Mexican Riviera cruises?

tigervixxxen

I've been on the Carnival Pride cruise to the Mexican Riviera in 2006 and we stopped in Cabo, Puerta Vallarta, and Mazatlan. I'm thinking of booking the Carnival Spirit to Ixtapa, Acapulco and Manzanillo for Feb 09. My question is: How do those 2 cruises compare? Are the ports similar? Did you like the ports better on one cruise vs. another? Did you feel like it was a repeat of the same cruise going on both? Were the ships very similar (I know they are the same class so they will be a like somewhat)? We did enjoy or cruise on the Pride but I'm someone who does not like to repeat vacations so I'm just trying to make sure this would be a good choice for me.

Any other info you think I should know? Thanks!

Hi,

We've been on BOTH ships......The layout is IDENTICAL, but the decorations are different....This did help since we knew exactly how to get from one place to another already but the different decorations changed the atmosphere for us so that we didn't feel like it was same old/same old...

As far as the ports........entirely different......

We liked both itineraries........

With the Pride, we liked PV and Mazatlan better than Cabo

With the Spirit, we liked Ixtapa/Zi and Manzanillo better than Acapulco

I don't think you will find them repeats of each other....at least WE didn't...

As far as shore tours through the ship:

Pride.....Tequila tour and evening Pirate ship...both very good

Mazatlan...Shopping and Resort Stop.....Wouldn't repeat it...but there are SO many great options of things to do in Mazatlan....

Cabo....we did a catamaran snorkel....loved the catamaran, hated the snorkeling....and I think it was just TOO hot when we were there to really get a chance to enjoy the town.....

Spirit

Acapulco...big dirty town.......cliffdivers are a not to miss thing, but otherwise if I were you I would try to do either a resort day or get out of town.........

Ixtapa/Zi.....we did city tour of Ixtapa and spent afternoon in Zi

If we had it to do over again, would have skipped Ixtapa altogether...Zi is a wonderful place to walk around in, plus there are nice beaches that can be gotten to rather easily......

Manzanillo....loved the tour we did there.....Jalisco Plantation and Barra de Navidad......I think a lot of people did resort break....

We are so happy that we did BOTH Pride and Spirit....and would not be upset about going to any of the ports they go to, although like we mentioned, Acapulco and Cabo weren't our favorites (for more reasons than listed above).......We actually WILL be repeating some of these ports in this next year or so, and will choose different tours than we did before so it will still be something new (THIS year, we are back in PV, Mazatlan and Cabo...and in 2009, we'll be back AGAIN to PV and Cabo and also back to Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zi :) )

Since you said you are someone who does not like to repeat vacations, my suggestion is to find something different from another Carnival cruise (sister ships) to the same area - Mexican Riviera. Sure the ports are different but there is a very distinct "sameness" to the ports on the Mexican Riviera unless you go up the Sea of Cortez to LaPaz and Topolabampo.:) in which case, check HAL Ryndam from October through March

Thanks for the thoughts! You were both helpful.

It sounds like the cruises are different enough for me to enjoy it. Of course any vacation is enjoyable, but I'm just trying to figure out the best way to plan things in the short term. That is a good point that a cruise on Carnival is likely to be similar anyway, so maybe I will look into other lines. I always say that but Carnival's price is just so tempting!

One more question, is the climate any different going all the way down to Acapulco or is it pretty similar to say PV?

As a rule it will get hotter as you go south. Acapulco will probably be your warmest port.

We've been to all 6 ports you mentioned, but on the same cruise. Zihuatenejo was by far our favorite port.

After you've done these a 3rd option is HAL and the 10 day Sea of Cortez route. I've done the others a couple of times and for March chose this one to add visits to Loreto, Topolomabpo (Copper canyon) and Pichilinque (La Paz)

Its nice to add a little variety to the port stops :)

Well actually Doug's idea is a good one:).....

We have done Carnival TWICE (first the Pride, then the Spirit)....and now are doing HAL Mexican Riviera / Sea of Cortez 10 day...in just two short weeks from now :):)..It has been a little over 2 years since we were to PV, Mazatlan and Cabo on the Pride, so we have had some time and distance and are "ready" to visit these ports again....plus gives us a new perspective on a different cruise line AND hits 3 ports in the Sea of Cortez that will be new for us..........

Oh, and then, being "gluttons for punishment" we visit the Mexican Riviera YET AGAIN in 2009....on a different cruiseline (Princess) and a different itinerary (Pacific Panama Canal)....and will get repeats of PV, Cabo, Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zi..........I think that is called making the most of the west coast ;) (we don't like to fly).....

Archived