formal and dress up nights

tonip

This may seem a bit thick but can someone explain these to me? are they for dinner or is there anything after?

I understand dressing up formal for a wedding or such but just to dress up seems unusual if that is all that happens. What else happens?

What % of people dress up? tonip

Hey,

on formal night everyone dresses up. you dont have to go over the top- but you should look nice. Also the first formal night is the captains welcome aboard party where you get a free champagne , cocktails or wine at the party. Other nights usually are Island night, country and western night and retro night. Everyone pretty much dresses up for island night. You wear your island stuff to dinner and have a huge party on the deck. Not many people that i saw dress up for the other two nights. there are some smaller parties and activities that are organized in the various bars. hope this helps.

Also the first formal night is the captains welcome aboard party where you get a free champagne , cocktails or wine at the party.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to point out that if you are travelling on the Dawn they no longer have the Welcome Aboard Party. We were a little disappointed about this and figured there is no real reason why they couldn't.

Cheers,

Charmain

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to point out that if you are travelling on the Dawn they no longer have the Welcome Aboard Party. We were a little disappointed about this and figured there is no real reason why they couldn't.

Cheers,

Charmain

Why would you not have a welcome aboard party, it sounds like cutting costs to me......... shame that was a good night.

This may seem a bit thick but can someone explain these to me? are they for dinner or is there anything after?

I understand dressing up formal for a wedding or such but just to dress up seems unusual if that is all that happens. What else happens?

What % of people dress up? tonip

Formal nights - Everyone dresses up to some extent. Some guys wear dinner suits, some wear sports jackets, shirt & tie. Most of the ladies wear either a long skirt or dress, or evening pants with a fancy top. This is usually on the second night at sea. On the Sun the evening starts with the Captains welcome cocktail party immediately before dinner. On the second formal night, the Captain has a cocktail party for repeat passengers. This is pretty much the same as the first cocktail party, but has less people.

Island night - Many people wear a floral shirt etc. to dinner, although if they want to wear a grass skirt to the Island Night Party, they would not be allowed into the dining room in that gear. Many people change after dinner into their Island Night outfit. Last December on the Sun, the Island Night deck party was on deck starting at 9.30pm.

Country & Western Night - I did not see many people dressing up to any great extent. There were a few checked shirts etc but that's all.

All good fun.:)

Hi everyone,

Cheers,

Charmain

Who was your Captain Chaz? Just wondering if it's the ship or the person in charge who is at fault.

Karen

Our captain was Fabio Amitrano but I believe the excuse given was that it was not possible with Anytime Dining.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

He was also our Captain. I didn't ask why but I thought maybe it was just him. He didn't go to the kids coketail party & he was terrible with his "announcements". I just didn't think he was very good at all.

Karen

He was also our Captain. I didn't ask why but I thought maybe it was just him. He didn't go to the kids coketail party & he was terrible with his "announcements". I just didn't think he was very good at all.

Karen

Hi Karen,

We were disappointed with the Captain but figured it was because we had such a great Captain on the previous cruise.

I think that was Stefano Romano and he was fantastic even doing the midday updates himself. We felt that he really loved the ship referring to her as a beautiful White Lady. Plus he shared heaps with us at both cocktail parties.

The only time we saw the Captain on this cruise was at the Captain's Club and he was on and off the stage as quickly as he could. We also saw him from afar one night at the Dome... We heard from him a few times about the medical emergency and I think once at Ouvea to warn people that we may be called back to the ship early. I don't think his English was the best.

Cheers,

Charmain

Thank you all for your input. I will now not embarrass myself and think I will go to one formal (hate dressing up, am a birkenstock/croc girl) and maybe find myself a pair of coconuts!!

thanks toni

Tuxedos and GOwns for dinner, an old sea tradition....sometimes before or after dinner a photo taking function will occur, and after dinner (or before) you can attend the entertainment all dressed up. It's just something nice to do, after all, at sea you aren't in a hurry, so why not take the time to dress up once every couple o days. It's like going on a date !!!!

Archived