Back from the Elation

TucsonDeb

Loved -- LOVED! -- my first cruise. Carnival's staff is incredibly friendly. Lots to see and do on sea days; just wished we could have spent more time in Cabo San Lucas.

A few things I noticed:

1. Upon returning to the ship after port, no one had their bags checked or liquor taken away (I had a bottle of rum -- I wouldn't have cared if they took it until the end of the trip, because it was a gift anyway).

2. Upon return to San Diego, customs was very cursory. They checked our passports and declaration form and that was it (again, didn't look in bags).

3. Snorkeling in Cabo in January is cold, but not unbearable. I was able to stay in the water for 20-30 minutes before it became too uncomfortable. They said the water temp was around 68 or so.

4. Weather was gorgeous in Cabo, but pretty cool on the ship. Had to carry a sweater around for when the wind popped up. The last day at sea, I spent some time in the hot tub, but it was just a little too chilly to enjoy the pool or sunning. But then, I'm a desert baby; my cabinmate from the midwest sunned most days.

5. I got major props from my cabinmate (who also was cruising for the first time) for knowing so much ahead of time -- things like bringing a power strip and over-door hanger to hold stuff, when to expect drills, what Carnival Capers and Club 02 were, etc. That's all thanks to you guys!

6. So much to see and do. I ended up being a day-time person and only watched one show at night. I was just too tired to stay up after watching the sunrise from the top deck, and doing morning stretch and pilates and etc etc etc. I'm glad I did what I did, but I think my next cruise I'll try to switch to a late-night schedule so I can try things like the disco. There's just no way you can do it all!

7. Picked up lots of souveniers for my cruise scrapbook project. Things I wouldn't have thought of taking (like the wrappers from the pillow mints) are in my little envelope. Again, thanks to the scrapbookers on CruiseCritic for the great ideas.

8. The rooms were huge! The pics really don't do it justice. We had an upper deck cabin with a couple port holes, which was nice since I had reserved a TBA interior cabin. Nice to have a view!

9. Almost no one used the internet center on board; it was empty most times I went by there.

10. Good strong cell signal, although I didn't use -- I told everyone I had no access to internet or phone on the ship so they wouldn't call/bug me. Shhhhh ... it's our little secret!

Any question, feel free to ask. I can't wait to plan my next cruise!

Thats great!, i have 4 days to go before i sail Elation.

can't wait to get to Cabo for a little bit warmer weather (hopefully)

FYI--Customs never does anything except check you ID's when you disembark, unless they feel there is something suspicious.

Glad you had a great first cruise and i'm sure you'll be booking again:)

Breeze3005 -- We did the Chileyno (sp?) Bay snorkling. We were the second tender to leave the ship (8am) and got back from the expedition around 12:30pm. That left a total of 3 hours for lunch & shopping before the last tender left to go back to the ship. Shopping is about a 10 min walk from the pier. We actually got to the tender to return around 3pm just because we didn't want to take a chance of missing it.

Chileyno Bay was great because it was a 45 min each way ride on a catamaran. Our crew was *VERY* friendly and nice. And there was beer, which made everyone friendly and nice, ha ha. Also snacks (chips and stuff). On the way there they took us past the arch, we saw a huge rock full of sea lions, a gray whale, and a big pod of dolphins. The crew slowed down and let us take pictures of all of that (in other words, they didn't just cruise by because "it's not on the itinerary").

Rudegirlie13 -- you'd be fine with capris and flipflops (although I'd bring 1 pair of warmer shoes), but you'll definitely want to bring at least one light jacket or sweater for early mornings or late evenings. Even on the catamaran in Cabo, I liked having my sweater available, although I didn't wear it the whole time. Not while we were walking around Cabo, though.

Thanks TucsonDeb for your quick response! :) I truly appreciate it. I'm going to ask some more questions after reading your response. First, I'm so glad to hear that I can do both, snorkel and shop! Since it's the only port of call, I wanted to get in some shopping. Is going by the arch a for sure thing on this excursion. I really want to be able to see it. Also, where did you store your camera while snorkeling, or should I bring a disposable? We will have my son (13) and his friend (12) with us, is this a good excursion for them? What would be your opinion?

Thanks again, it's so nice to be able to ask someone this stuff who's just returned from the exact cruise you're taking!! ;)

Nina

Loved -- LOVED! -- my first cruise. Carnival's staff is incredibly friendly. Lots to see and do on sea days; just wished we could have spent more time in Cabo San Lucas.

A few things I noticed:

1. Upon returning to the ship after port, no one had their bags checked or liquor taken away (I had a bottle of rum -- I wouldn't have cared if they took it until the end of the trip, because it was a gift anyway).

2. Upon return to San Diego, customs was very cursory. They checked our passports and declaration form and that was it (again, didn't look in bags).

3. Snorkeling in Cabo in January is cold, but not unbearable. I was able to stay in the water for 20-30 minutes before it became too uncomfortable. They said the water temp was around 68 or so.

4. Weather was gorgeous in Cabo, but pretty cool on the ship. Had to carry a sweater around for when the wind popped up. The last day at sea, I spent some time in the hot tub, but it was just a little too chilly to enjoy the pool or sunning. But then, I'm a desert baby; my cabinmate from the midwest sunned most days.

5. I got major props from my cabinmate (who also was cruising for the first time) for knowing so much ahead of time -- things like bringing a power strip and over-door hanger to hold stuff, when to expect drills, what Carnival Capers and Club 02 were, etc. That's all thanks to you guys!

6. So much to see and do. I ended up being a day-time person and only watched one show at night. I was just too tired to stay up after watching the sunrise from the top deck, and doing morning stretch and pilates and etc etc etc. I'm glad I did what I did, but I think my next cruise I'll try to switch to a late-night schedule so I can try things like the disco. There's just no way you can do it all!

7. Picked up lots of souveniers for my cruise scrapbook project. Things I wouldn't have thought of taking (like the wrappers from the pillow mints) are in my little envelope. Again, thanks to the scrapbookers on CruiseCritic for the great ideas.

8. The rooms were huge! The pics really don't do it justice. We had an upper deck cabin with a couple port holes, which was nice since I had reserved a TBA interior cabin. Nice to have a view!

9. Almost no one used the internet center on board; it was empty most times I went by there.

10. Good strong cell signal, although I didn't use -- I told everyone I had no access to internet or phone on the ship so they wouldn't call/bug me. Shhhhh ... it's our little secret!

Any question, feel free to ask. I can't wait to plan my next cruise!

I'm glad you had a great time on the Elation. You can't really go wrong. We sailed her last summer and we're going on her again in 65 days since we enjoyed it immensely! We did so much last time that we needed another vacation to get over it! This time around I plan on kicking back and relaxing. We tried snorkeling in Cabo last summer as well but the water was very cold in July! I hope it's warmer this spring.

Thanks TucsonDeb for your quick response! :) I truly appreciate it. I'm going to ask some more questions after reading your response. First, I'm so glad to hear that I can do both, snorkel and shop! Since it's the only port of call, I wanted to get in some shopping. Is going by the arch a for sure thing on this excursion. I really want to be able to see it. Also, where did you store your camera while snorkeling, or should I bring a disposable? We will have my son (13) and his friend (12) with us, is this a good excursion for them? What would be your opinion?

Thanks again, it's so nice to be able to ask someone this stuff who's just returned from the exact cruise you're taking!! ;)

Nina

It would be nice to have a waterproof disposable camera so you can take pictures while you're in the water. You get to see some unusual looking sea life out there so you might want to snap some photos!

Thanks Deb for the info. DH and I are sailing on her Sat. I was hoping for warmer weather, but since it is in teens here in Western WA even 60's will seem warm. WE are planning to shop and sight see in Cabo. Tried to sign up for the Mexican restaurant learn to make Mexican food excursion in Ensenada but after I put in the Visa number the website popped up with "this excursion is not available to these passengers" Not sure what that is about. No confirmation but the charge is now on our Visa. Guess we will have to check on it on board. I emailed but no response. ANyone else have this problem?

I was on the cruise with the left behind little boy and we returned 1/17.

For those of you that asked about what clothes to bring, bring some warm clothes. Thank goodness I brought a heavy red sweater at the last minute. I had that on almost the whole cruise. It was bitter cold on the ship except while at Ensenada. I didn't get off the ship there but the winds had died down enough to sit outside without being blown overboard. It was overcast and cold in Cabo . The towel boy said that was very unusual and I think the sun came out as soon as we left the . LOL

Even with the cold it was a blast and I have now book us for the 5/8 sailing.

Hi,

We're taking our first cruise on Saturday as well. We've never taken a vacation like this as a family (married 3 years with a 2-year-old son). Any suggestions? Will they check our bags for our own bottles? Any ideas, tips, hints, must-do's or whatever will be greatly appreciated!

Skyhigh, There is a wealth of information on here concerning tips and such. We hadn't cruised in a long time before going again last summer. I wanted to tell you two tip that were so helpful for me. Okay maybe three. ;) 1) buy one of those over the door shoe holders, the plastics ones. I got mine at Target for about $5, you can keep a lot of odds and ends in there. It really help with organizing for us. 2) Bring a powerstrip and three 3) bring a small clock, there isn't one in the room and I was glad to have it there so I could quickly look at the time.

You're going to have a great time!!

Archived