Want to go to Cambodia from Beijing

MarciAnn

The information I have gotten on this board is phenomenal and I was hoping someone out there may be able to help me.

I will be in Beijing in mid-April and, having been to China before, want to go somewhere else in Southeast Asia from there ( or alternatively before I get to Beijing). I would love to do Siem Reap but it is so far from Beijing and it doesn't seem like any easy flight. I could do Siem Reap first and then Beijing, but I am afraid coordinating all these flights could cost a fortune.

Does anyone have any suggestions or other places to visit outside of China after leaving Beijing? I al thinking that I would spend 4-5 days on this part of our trip. (I hve already been to Japan so this is not an option).

Thanks in advance.

The information I have gotten on this board is phenomenal and I was hoping someone out there may be able to help me.

I will be in Beijing in mid-April and, having been to China before, want to go somewhere else in Southeast Asia from there ( or alternatively before I get to Beijing). I would love to do Siem Reap but it is so far from Beijing and it doesn't seem like any easy flight. I could do Siem Reap first and then Beijing, but I am afraid coordinating all these flights could cost a fortune.

Does anyone have any suggestions or other places to visit outside of China after leaving Beijing? I al thinking that I would spend 4-5 days on this part of our trip. (I hve already been to Japan so this is not an option).

Thanks in advance.

There are soooo many ways to get to Cambodia or Vietnam-some cheap, some expensive. Some a very big adventure, some just get on a plane and go.

Have you booked your flight to China yet? If not, you may want to look into USA/BKK, then take your side trip to Siem Reap or Vietnam (where there are cheap tickets), fly to Beijing and either fly home from Beijing or return to Bangkok.

From Beijing to Bangkok, flying through Shenzhen on two different airlines (Air China and Air Asia) will cost about $225.00 each way. Then you can either fly to Siem Reap or take the overland route. If you want to go into Vietnam, you will have to decide North or South. There are soooo many routings, so may ways to travel in Asia. And soooo many booking agencies and airlines IN ASIA that beat the heck out of trying to buy a ticket in the US.

IF you wanted a relatively seamless experience, you can book from the US to BKK, BKK to PEK and return home from PEK for about $1500.00. You would have to fly or go overland to Siem Reap. If you want cheaper, you will have to get creative (which is VERY easy in Aisa, depending on how much "adventure" you are willing to try).

Please post more information about what you want-dates, willing to use 2/3/4 airlines in Asia????, departure airport, your comfort level. I will try to help.

Greatam,

Thanks so much for your offer of assistance. I have to be in Beijing from April 12-16 and wanted to do the Siem Reap part either before or after. From the US and back I wanted to fly an American Airlines partner to take advantage of my Exec Platinum status, but if that is not possible I would like to use an airline that offers a 2 for 1 business class ticket. Once in Asia I don't care what airline it is as long as it is safe and doesn't cost a fortune! I don't need business class within Asia although it seems the Beijing to Siem Reap by air is 10 hours!! I was thinking of flying into Hong Kong and going to Siem Reap from there, but Bangkok may be the better choice and I have never been there! I also didn't think of a land route to Siem Reap but I have no idea how far it is from Bangkok.

Thanks again and I very much look forward to hearing from you further.

Thanks again and I very much look forward to hearing from you further.

Hello from one EXP to another.

I am curious about your comment about using an AA partner. EXP benefits won't do you a lot of good going to Asia. You get the lounges, no matter what OneWorld airline you fly. If you are looking at upgrades or award tickets, you will probably have to go partner airline, as AA doesn't have a lot of good connections in Asia. The JAL partnership has opened up some possibilities, but not that many.

A couple of things-I am going to provide routings out of LAX. I am sure you can figure out how to get to LAX-on AA or some other way.

Cathay can route you this way: LAX/SGN or PNH (through HKG), SGN or PNH to PEK, home to LAX from PEK. Full AA benefits and miles

However, that is NOT the cheapest routing. And you really have to play with the dates-the difference between a Sat/Sun departure in Asia and a Sun/Mon was over $1000. I finally got it down to $1761.00 in coach leaving on Friday, April 4, arriving PNH on Sunday April 6 about 12:00PM. Spend the day in PNH. Then on the 7th, take the fast boat up the river (about $35.00pp each way) to Siem Reap. Arrives Siem Reap a little after lunch. Gives you the 8th and 9th to look around Angkor Wat. Boat back to PNH the morning of the 10th. Fly out of PNH through HKG to PEK early morning on the 11th. Arrive PEK about noon. NOT the ideal routing, but the boat up the river is a BLAST. And I allowed time to get ready for your conference and overcome SOME jet lag in PNH. I LOVE PNH-in fact, I have spent the last two years trying to buy an old apartment building to convert to a hotel.

You mentioned business class, so is that what you are looking for? 2 for 1 is usually Amex, full price fares.

You can also route on Cathay via Hong Kong-RT LAX to PEK or open jaw-LAX/PEK and BKK/LAX. This would be the easiest and MAY be the cheapest.

Go to your conference first. Then fly on Cathay to PNH, boat up the river, then return via Siem Reap Airways or overland to BKK.

Or for an even cheaper way-Go to your conference first, then fly Air China from PEK to Shenzhen (across the harbor from HKG). Then AirAsia to BKK. (about $200). Then you can fly Bangkok Airways RT BKK to Siem Reap for about $400.00. Or you can fly one way and travel overland the other or travel overland both ways. There are buses that leave from Bankok daily. But a private car is a MUCH better choice. I have done it once-it was a great adventure. Pretty good description of the overland crossing.

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr-intro.htm

Please let me know if trying to get to/from Siem Reap as part of one overall ticket or whether you want to nest your tickets to get to Siem Reap and just one business class ticket RT from the USA to China/BKK and return. I'm sure a lot depends on what is a business expense and what is personal. Let me know

PS-if you want a great hotel experience in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh, please look at the FCC (Foreign Correspondent's Club). The original in PP is the REAL FCC used by Brokaw, Rather and every other war correspondent during the Vietnam War.

Greatam,

You are too good! I am still trying to get through all your suggestions!

To answer your question, I want to travel with AA partners to maintain my EXP status as I am sure you can understand (that's alot of miles to accumulate!) As for the 2 for 1 business, the Beijing part is business, the rest is on my own (which is why coach is fine!). Unlike a lot of other airlines, the Cathay business ticket appears to be the same whether I go the 2 for 1 route or not, so I don't feel I am being ripped off by Amex.

I was looking at Cathay from NY to HK, HK to PHN on Dragon Air (a Cathay affiliate)and PHN to REP on Siem Reap Airways, then back to HK same way and HK to PEK and then PEK to NY through HK. Interesting the HK to PEK is codeshared between Dragon Air and Cathay but Amex tells me that it is not eligible for the 2 for 1 ticket as part of my NY-Beijng ticket and back and that is another $700 in coach!! I haven't even priced the rest of the air yet for the HK- Siem Reap part of the trip.

So I am looking at other options and I am now going to look carefully at the ones you suggested. Not sure it makes the most sense to go to LAX first unless it saves time. I was also thinking of staying at Amansara and I am beginning to feel that maybe this 4 day excursion isn't worth it (haven't made that decision yet).

I have already came across the site you lead me too and it does not make the overland trip very enticing!! I think i will pass on that one, but the fast boat trip from PNH into Siem Reap sounds interesting!

Alternatively, if I stayed in China can you suggest a 3-5 day trip that excludes the Great Wall, Xi"ian, Guilin, the trip on the LI River and Shanghai, all of which I have done.?

Thanks so much! (PS are you a travel agent by any chance??)

Not a travel agent-owner of a global logistics company that has been doing more and more business in Vietnam and Cambodia for the last 3 years. We specialize in highly perishable exotic food prodicts. I send people and freight (and myself) all over the world-planes, ships and surface and even some donkey carts (Khazistan-Turkish lemonade if you can believe it-big seller in Brooklyn and Los Angeles).

UNLESS you are REALLY into archaeology, 4 days is MORE than enough time. You will probably be "templed" out after about 1.5 days. LOTS of climbing and walking. I personally think the elephant farm and just mingling with the people and wandering around on foot is more interesting than the temples. One thing I have done and would do again-hot air balloon ride over the temples. It is right in front of the main temple-no reservations-it was just a spur of the moment thing. And I am glad I did it.

I just routed out of LAX, because soooo many Asia flights leave from there. Cathay out of NYC could be a great bargain. The NY/YVR segment sells coach for less than $400, all in. Don't know what business class price is. But it may even be advantageous to book it as two separate tickets-NYC/YVR and then to wherever in Asia you are going to.

Or were you taking the nonstop going East to Asia? That flight to me seems even longer. Even though I am in NYC once a month (we have an office in the Bronx, close to Hunt's Point), I just don't think I could stomach being on a plane in any class THAT long.

Take a look at the "Visit Asia" pass on Cathay. IF you can get your flights to/from your conference confirmed, this may help keep costs down, as well as earning miles

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/air-travel-options/single-continent-fares/visit-asia

Also, take a look at OneWorld Explorer and other RTW tickets. You may be able to cut a pretty good deal, but probably NOT available with Amex. I have used 2 or three explorer tickets. They turned out cheaper than booking business class to someplace in Asia and then coach tickets intra Asia. And I got business class on all flights.

Cathay often has specials for passes, discounts, etc. If you haven't already, sign up for their email alerts.

If you don't want to go to Vietnam or Cambodia and want to see more of China, you can do the pandas in the wild out of Chengdu. I spent two days in Chengdu, looking at the city, going to the breeding facility. Then 2 days in the mountains-not much for accommodations and only saw one panda in the wild, but it was a lot of fun.

Or you could go to Llhasa (permits needed in advance, so this has to be planned well). Be well prepared for the altitude. Heck, you can even fly to Mt Everest from Tibet. And Chengdu is the gateway to Tibet. Seeing Mt Everest is on the agenda for me in the near future (next two years, hopefully). Just have to coordinate with the climbing season. I found someone to take me to Everest base camp via helicopter for $1000 (he runs heli skiing trips in the Himalayas). This old gal would never make it trekking up the mountain.

Or take a Yangtze River cruise from Chongqing to Wuhan. I have done both the Princess Jeanie and Victoria. I vote for Princess Jeanie. Not only was the cruise more "Chinesey", but you don't have to take the bus ride from Yiching to Wuhan. The cruise ends in Wuhan and all you have to do is go to the airport. Easy transport to Shenzhen. The hovercraft next door to the Nan Hai hotel in Shenzhen has secure transport right into HKG (no passing through security in the airport). The Victoria ship was just toooo American and toooo cruise ship like.

I know these kinds of trips take lots of thought and planning. If I can help you further, let me know.

Archived