ALASKA from Seattle in July

racepoint

I'd like to hear what others have to say about disembarkation from Star from Seattle. We have a July cruise in the planning stages and am having a difficult time with airfares/times. Most of the "reasonably" priced flights leave too early or too late. Bottom line: Is a 10:30 a.m. flight completely out of the question? I understand, there are always variables and no guarantees. Just looking for first-hand experiences with flight times. (I wouldn't even ask, other than the fact that our last several Caribbean cruises had us sitting at an airport for hours, waiting for our noon flights.);)

Too close for my tastes, but if you get off first, have only carry on luggage, you should be okay. SeaTac is about 17 miles south of the port, you should be going against traffic. Check your airline's policy in case you miss the flight, what your backup will be.

There is a ton of construction going on in and around Sea-Tac, which makes the traffic pure H-E-double hockey sticks on a non-cruise day, and twice as bad on a cruise day.

Cruise line outbound domestic flight guidelines are no flights earlier than 1:30 pm, 2:30 for international. TSA is also slower than molasses in January around here--tons and tons of manual searches.

I wouldn't chance it, were it me.

We were on the Star in 2005. It docked at 7:00 a.m. We had a 1:30 p.m. flight out of SeaTac. After waiting in traffic getting to the door of the airport, waiting in the line for our baggage check and then waiting in the VERY long line for security checkpoint, we walked up to our gate at 1:00 p.m.

Seattle is a great city to visit. You might want to think about getting a downtown hotel for that one night. See a bit of the city and then get a flight the next day. It might be even cheaper since you are not competing with as many cruiseline people - maybe.

As others mentioned, the whole Seattle thing and Alaska are debated and discussed alot on the ALASKA boards under PORTS OF CALL.

(I hope I provided an answer, and an option to get even better answers)

Archived