First Cunard Trip in the Plans

Cunard_Dreamer

We just got back from our first voyage aboard the Queen Mary 2, she is fabulous! You'll love her. We're already planning our next holiday with Mary :p

Betsy

Hurray Betsy...I've been waiting to hear how it went. I'm so thrilled you had a great time. And another "Affair' is born!!! Wonderful news!!:D

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

Thank you alot everyone, This is most wonderful, and I might try that westbound crossing, the plane ticket will be included in the westbound pricing right?

I am an American, but one that feels that we have lost some of the formality that we need in our lives. I have used many excueses to at least wear a polo and kaikis.

The advice has really been helpful, and thank you for the clairification, because when I think Dress shirt, it is a white button up shirt, not a Tux shirt, so thank you for the clairification.

Of course, I might settle for the Carribean since I have never seen there before, but one day I will be on the Atlantic adding my name to those that have crossed the sea between the old and new world.

and thank you again for all the wonderful advice, sadly, I will not get to try the QE2 before her final days in November, maybe if I make some last minute talking, but oh well...

At least I will see the QM2, There is only one way to really cross the Atlantic. Ship...

and can you explain this 25 hour days to me?

Matthew

and can you explain this 25 hour days to me?

Because the clocks are put back on five nights, most days are 25 hours long.

Remember if you fly from London to New York you have to put your clocks back five hours in one go. By ship it is done gradually!

Matthew

I saw her come in at Cherbourg. We’d got there the day before, on the train from Paris, and went to the pier in the morning, excited and giddy, waiting for her to come in. I fell in love when she came ‘round.

We marveled at everything: from the first kindness at registration--where I was offered a chair--to the white-gloved crew taking us to the cabin, the steward introducing himself and sollicitous of our needs, the children’s nursery, the wait staff in the restaurant, and on, and on. It has been many years since that first time, and while I’ve gone back several more and forgotten quite a bit in the process, the feelings experienced that first time are unforgettable. Just as Penny fell in love with the QM2, it’s something that silently and insidiously makes its way into your heart and stays there. And it’s rekindled every time I catch a glimpse of her. Or hear her. Or set foot on board.

And, somehow, I think you’ll feel in love as well.

M-L

So, may I ask what was everyone's first Cunard trip like?

Very interesting question, Matthew!

I loved your answer NonDePlume! You write beautifully!

My first Cunard voyage was an east bound transatlantic on the original Queen Mary. I am guessing that I was a little younger than you are now. It was a summer adventure with two girlfriends. Our cabin was tiny with a tiny bathroom. Fortunately, I kept a diary which helps me remember the details. I would certainly recommend that you keep a diary for future reference. You may think you will always remember, but forty years from now you will have forgotten many things.

Non, your mention of Cherbourg brought back a happy memory. We left New York City on our way to Southampton. I don't know if we just weren't paying attention but the ship docked in Cherbourg the day before docking in Southampton. My friends and I had no idea that we were going to France before we got to England. But it was great fun and we got off the ship and wandered around a bit before leaving for Southampton.

I hope others will answer Matthew's question.

Beth

<Sigh> I always intend to. Maybe even do for the first day or so. Then I get caught up in all the fun and it falls by the wayside!

I will try to do better on our crossings.

Same things goes with photography.

I intend to make comprehensive photos of the decks and rooms and such, and somehow I get home and I don't have all of the things I wanted to take shots of!

Good for you M-L that you have the resolve to do it!

(Keep reminding me in April!)

Karie

Yeah, journal and Camera are going to go, camera was a given before I even posted any questions, but I know...

that is one thing that I do not like about travel sites, you cannot get pictures of everything you want it would appear it seems.

If it's pictures you wish, Pepper was too modest in not pointing out his beautiful photographic oeuvre at http://community.webshots.com/user/pepperrn

M-L

Hello.

Please excuse me for jumping in this thread. I didn't want to start another to ask a simple question.

I am looking at booking a TA from Hamburg to NY in Aug. Where does the QM2 dock in NY and which airport would be best to use to fly to Chicago after the cruise.

I enjoyed reading the answers to Cunard Dreamers questions and also the reviews that had links provided. If I missed seeing an answer to my questions, sorry.

Thanks to anyone that may be able to provide an answer.

Archived