Gem, Spirit, or Dawn??

CruiseJunkie66

I will be cruising on NCL in May and have a choice of sailing on the Gem, Spirit or Dawn. The ports don't matter to me because I have already been to most of them. The ship itself will be my destination so for those of you who have sailed on these 3 ships could you tell me what the pros and cons are of each? Which ship would you choose?

We have sailed on all three in the past year & half. We have loved all three and all three have different things to offer.

Does size matter? The Spirit is the smallest, sometimes it seems more intimate, the Gem is large and grand. The Gem has more to offer like, bowling & Rock climbing. But these may not be factors.

It all depends on what you like about cruising and ships.

Personally these are the things I like differently about all three.

I like Windows on the Spirt, it was very large, high ceilings, great views. Just a great place to eat.

I like the pool deck on the Dawn. Has tiered seating offering more area in the sun and more area close to the pool, less need for chair hogs.

I like 2 pools on the Dawn. I for adults only, and an adults only hot tub.

Are all three running from the same port? Embarkation port might be a deciding factor for us.

We enjoyed our cruise on all three. I don't think you will be disappointed with any of these ships. Good luck. Which ever you choose enjoy.

I just got off the Gem. I sailed the Dawn last year. I have never sailed the Spirit.

I think the Dawn is more elegant than the Gem; the vibrant colors were just too loud for me. All of my favorite personnel from the Dawn are now on the Gem, plus I made a few more friends. The Gem has more activities: rock wall, sports deck, bowling & a water slide.

I think you will have a great time on any of them.

Hmmm, if selecting for the ship, then all three are different regarding decor. The Spirit is smaller, more intimate with an Asian decor. The Gem is the newest with a fun (or funky as described by some) and chic decor. The Dawn is more of a regular NCL ship decor. All three are beautiful in different ways.

Maybe more can help regarding what cabin category you are interested in booking. From my recollection, the Spirit suites seemed to be all different in decor. Maybe check out the pictures of each ship on the NCL website.

Why pick just one? Decide a first, then a second time ship, then a third time ship!

Have fun!

Coka

Thanks everybody for taking the time to respond. I think we've decided to go with the Gem!

Please come back with a review after you sail her. We're looking into the Gem as our next NCL cruise for 2009 and I'm dying to hear how everyone likes it!!:D

I sailed the Spirit this past Nov...loved it. I'm looking forward to trying ALL of the ships, especially now that NCL is implementing the 2.0 thing. :D

halos - check out reviews on this site. I believe there are currently 52 reviews onthe Gem. I posted a rather long one after our News Year cruise. In short; great ship and crew. Can't wait to sail her again.

halos - check out reviews on this site. I believe there are currently 52 reviews onthe Gem. I posted a rather long one after our News Year cruise. In short; great ship and crew. Can't wait to sail her again.

I have been skimming through them. I'll go look for yours. :)

Glad you had such a great time!!

Guest Anorak33

Gem

2 adult jacuzzis

1 adult pool

4 bowling lanes

beds in lounges

great crew

great food in specialty restaurants

nothing old worn out or broken

Archived