Getting to ship from LAX

travellover3

Am so excited! Booked yesterday for my first Panama Canal trip. DH is joining me this time. He chose to miss my wonderful Alaskan cruise last Sept. and I think he's sorry about that now.

My first questions of probably many, as the months go by is... how do you get to the ship after flying into LAX? I think the dock is somewhere near Long Beach, but don't know how far and how long it takes. If I chose a Princess transfer, what is the cost per person, or how much is a cab? When I book my flight, I'd need to take that into consideration for arrival time.

Thanks!

Primetime Shuttles (big red vans) from LAX to Long Beach will run $32 for 2 people. It will take you directly to the Carnival Cruise Terminal in Long Beach. Google Primetime Shuttle to reserve a van. This is a shared ride with other passengers, and the van may make stops along the way to let people off at hotels, etc. They say no more than 3 stops max.

A taxi from the airport to the Carnival Terminal (23 miles) will cost you $65, plus an airport fee and tip...will end up being around $75.

Hope this helps. Happy cruising. :D

I think the dock is somewhere near Long Beach, ............. If I chose a Princess transfer, what is the cost per person, or how much is a cab?

First, find out where you are sailing from. Carnival sails from Long Beach, and Princess usually sails sails from the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. The distance from LAX to San Pedro is about the same as to Long Beach. So, the prices Wylie gave you will be fairly close no matter where you sail from. There are two other shuttle services mentioned here alot. They are Super Shuttle (big blue vans), and Karmel shuttle.

99.9% you are sailing out of San Pedro..it's actually a little closer to LAX than Long Beach--approximately 20 miles...You can pre-reserve a shuttle if time is a consideration (shared shuttles often hang around the airport awhile waiting to fill up)...or, even better, a taxi...

The drive from LAX to the pier can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on day of the week and time of day (It can be a rough stretch of freeway during rush hour)...

Good luck...

Yes, make sure you tell your driver (shuttle or taxi) that you're going to the port in San Pedro (as you're going on the Coral Princess, right?).

Hopefully you'll plan to fly in at least a day before as there's many things that can cause you a delay (mechanical problems, labor problems, flight cancellations, connection problems, weather problems, etc.). The cruiselines are now requiring passengers to check in at the pier at least an hour before sailaway and you definitely need more time than that if too many people show up at the last minute due to late flights.

Thanks everyone for all the information. I also saw many threads on this board addressing the same issue, so I have lots to work with now. I will be coming to LAX from SF and there are several early am flights which arrive from 9-10 am. I may take a chance on a same-day flight. At any rate, have plenty of time to ponder this!!!

Archived