Soda card decisions...

lola4795

We are trying to decide whether we should purchase soda cards for our upcoming 5 day cruise.

If you can't order soda with your meal, what is available?

What is the price of soda if you do order with your meal? What about poolside, etc.?

You can always order soda with dinner or by the pool and pay the per drink price. (Can’t remember what that is...but I'm sure someone will update...) And it all depends on how much soda you drink. We usually carry on a few cans for immediate use, and then pick up a few more when we're in port. I have had the soda card before and found that, for me, it was not a great value, as I didn't drink enough soda to cover the cost. But if you're a big soda drinker and you want to be able to get it any time- the card may be for you.

We buy the card. You can usually get 2 sodas at a time. If not, get one soda and order another. Keep your cup and bring it back the next time you cruise. Soda will cost you $1.75 plus tip. that's $2.01 each. If, between the 2 of you or by yourself, you drink at least 4 a day, it is cheaper to get the soda sticker. For our 9 day cruise it cost $77 and change. I'm pretty sure you can get soda at dinner.

You have to decide whether or not you'll use it. The other posters here have given you the numbers you'll need to determine if it's a good deal for you. I prefer to drink caffeine free soda, so I took two two litre bottles and a case of 12 cans on board with me and I think my husband and I ended up purchasing four cans over the course of our 8 day itinerary. I drank water or milk with meals. I did spend some additional money on alcoholic beverages, but the soda card wouldn't have helped with those! :)

Some of the free drinks available for dinner include ice tea, hot tea, milk, water, coffee, espresso, cappacino, and other coffee drinks. I believe the products available with the soda card are mostly Coke products.

You can carry aboard soft drinks of your choice.

I personally don't get the soda card because I would be inclined to overuse it.

Beachbum1994 said it, you need to drink at least 4 sodas a day to make the purchase of the soda card worthwhile. You can order soda at any meal or any bar, including pool side. If you drink 4 or more a day, go for it, if not, order as you go.

Beachbum1994 said it, you need to drink at least 4 sodas a day to make the purchase of the soda card worthwhile. You can order soda at any meal or any bar, including pool side. If you drink 4 or more a day, go for it, if not, order as you go.

Plus, you have to purchase it for every day of the cruise, even shore days... when you might not get in your 4 per day because you are drinking soda someplace else.

Just a thought!

Libby

If we're leaving from a U.S. port, we always bring our own sodas and ask that the refrigerator be cleaned out so we have plenty of room. We've also learned the hard way that all sodas are not created equal - meaning that with the sodas card, you get a fountain soda that has been mixed with the water onboard and it never seems to be the same as the regular soda in a can that you either bring with you are buy onboard as you go.

We brought a 12 pack onboard and still bought the card. The 12 pack we used at night before we went to bed or when we came back from an excursion. It was handy when you wanted it right away. Didn't want to go back to the cabin for a can of soda so the card came in handy. We also brought some cans with us when we went to Hawksbill in Antigua. Don't forget, if 2 people are drinking soda, 4 sodas go very quick.

We usually let the kids get the sticker, between lunch and dinner they drink at least 4 a day. They could get it on there own but with the sticker they don't have to sign everytime they get one. Since it is a per person thing we get 3 stickers, this cruise it will be 4.

We usually let the kids get the sticker, between lunch and dinner they drink at least 4 a day. They could get it on there own but with the sticker they don't have to sign everytime they get one. Since it is a per person thing we get 3 stickers, this cruise it will be 4.

Plus the kids unlimited sodas is only $16 for the week, not $9.ish per day. So it make the decision quite easy.

We brought a 12 pack onboard and still bought the card. The 12 pack we used at night before we went to bed or when we came back from an excursion. It was handy when you wanted it right away. Didn't want to go back to the cabin for a can of soda so the card came in handy. We also brought some cans with us when we went to Hawksbill in Antigua. Don't forget, if 2 people are drinking soda, 4 sodas go very quick.

Isn't that stealing?

Where do ya'll come from?:)

called coke in my neck of the woods

We usually call it "pop" in my neck of the woods (Western Canada), but a few say "soda" (both derived from soda-pop I guess!). We only say "Coke" if the pop we are ordering is "Coke". ;O)

hoons

Isn't that stealing?

Yes, it is.

You both are ridiculius to say that is stealing. Each soda costs the cruiseline 5 cents. Deal with it.

It is stealing because the cruise line has stated that the soda package is sold per person for one person to use. You buy the sticker, you agree to the terms. You're the one who needs to "deal with it" by being honest. OTOH, that's a personal thing between you and your conscience.

BTW, it doesn't cost the cruise line "5 cents" per soda. The ingredients, sure, but you conveniently discount the cost/maintenance of machinery and other peripheral expenses. Certainly soda is an item with a huge markup, but that's not an excuse. When you get a soda at a fast food place (assuming you eat at such places; I don't know that you do) do you go back and get seconds or do you drink only the one you've paid for? When you go to a buffet (again, assuming you eat at buffets on land where the costs are per person) do you fill two plates and give one to your companion? It's the same thing. The only difference is venue and the items involved. Either stealing is okay or it isn't.

If I get a soda and share it with my wife, and then get another and share it with her, I might as well get two at one time . Or isn't sharing allowed unde your way of thinking?

That is not allowed under the terms of the soda package. It has nothing to do with anyone's "way of thinking"; it has to do with the cruise lines terms of use. The terms aren't ambiguous and they aren't vague: The soda package is sold as an all-you-can-drink fountain soda for one person. Not "all you and your wife can drink" or anything else. A swallow here or there, fine, but fully sharing sodas (whether you get one and each drink half) or get two (and give her one) is contrary to the terms of the soda package. If you don't like the terms, don't buy the package.

I'm certain we won't change minds or behavior here, but don't expect everyone to agree with your rationalizations. We're not attacking you. We disagree with you.

beachchick

Yes, it is.

It is stealing because the cruise line has stated that the soda package is sold per person for one person to use. You buy the sticker, you agree to the terms. You're the one who needs to "deal with it" by being honest. OTOH, that's a personal thing between you and your conscience.

BTW, it doesn't cost the cruise line "5 cents" per soda. The ingredients, sure, but you conveniently discount the cost/maintenance of machinery and other peripheral expenses. Certainly soda is an item with a huge markup, but that's not an excuse. When you get a soda at a fast food place (assuming you eat at such places; I don't know that you do) do you go back and get seconds or do you drink only the one you've paid for? When you go to a buffet (again, assuming you eat at buffets on land where the costs are per person) do you fill two plates and give one to your companion? It's the same thing. The only difference is venue and the items involved. Either stealing is okay or it isn't.

That is not allowed under the terms of the soda package. It has nothing to do with anyone's "way of thinking"; it has to do with the cruise lines terms of use. The terms aren't ambiguous and they aren't vague: The soda package is sold as an all-you-can-drink fountain soda for one person. Not "all you and your wife can drink" or anything else. A swallow here or there, fine, but fully sharing sodas (whether you get one and each drink half) or get two (and give her one) is contrary to the terms of the soda package. If you don't like the terms, don't buy the package.

I'm certain we won't change minds or behavior here, but don't expect everyone to agree with your rationalizations. We're not attacking you. We disagree with you.

beachchick

I could not agree more.

Isn't that stealing?

Yes, each person needs their own soda card, they should not be shared.

You both are ridiculius to say that is stealing. Each soda costs the cruiseline 5 cents. Deal with it.

It is stealing. The soda cards are priced per person. It does not matter what the soda costs the line. Two people using the same soda card is just wrong and if it is done there are words for the people doing it : CHEAP and LOW CLASS

If I get a soda and share it with my wife, and then get another and share it with her, I might as well get two at one time . Or isn't sharing allowed unde your way of thinking?

It is not sharing it is stealing.

When you get a soda at a fast food place (assuming you eat at such places; I don't know that you do) do you go back and get seconds or do you drink only the one you've paid for? . . .

beachchick

Most fast food places allow you to refill your self serve soda during the same visit, and often if it is not a self serve soda they will gladly refill it for you, BUT if they tell you it is one fill up that is what it means.

Often getting "seconds" is what you have paid for so in that case it is acceptable.

It is stealing. The soda cards are priced per person. It does not matter what the soda costs the line. Two people using the same soda card is just wrong and if it is done there are words for the people doing it : CHEAP and LOW CLASS

I forget how many perfect people Cruise Critic has on it who pass judgement. Everyone needs to worry about themselves and do not judge people for their opinions. I have never shared a soda card. I have never been on a cruise yet. I am stating that the people above are ridiculous for calling this person a thief. Calling someone low class for sharing a soda actually makes you the malefactor. Interesting people in this forum. Lots of people who have never bended or broken a rule in their lives.

Archived