Leaving tomorrow - quick internet question

rclcruzer

Leaving on Monarch tomorrow, and wondering (searched already, can't find any info really), if there is wireless internet access in the cabins? I know

about the cafe. We need to check on something at home on Sunday and would like to use his SKYPE program (like a phone through your computer). Any info would be greatly appreciated ;)

Not 100% sure, but I think only Freedom class ships have wifi in the cabins.:(

that's what I thought, with MOnarch being an older ship. We need to contact our son (15) on Sunday, and I know the cell phones are sketchy at best floating off LA on Sunday.! Thanks for the help:)

ok, thanks for all the responses. So no skype, hmmm.... but wi-fi spots on the ship...and my girlfriend told me when she was in Mexico she could use her cell phone. So maybe we will just do that, or make a QUICK call to the house from the cabin phone. Thanks everyone!

that's what I thought, with MOnarch being an older ship. We need to contact our son (15) on Sunday, and I know the cell phones are sketchy at best floating off LA on Sunday.! Thanks for the help:)

I had no problem with cell phone calls, from CA to HI and back. Well, I did have a problem when I saw my cell phone bill, but I knew it was coming:eek:

I'm computer dumb-ish so bear with me:

I get that FOTS cabins have "WIFI" (I don't even know what that means or is, other than it means your computer will work there.)

We have a summer place with "WIFI" and DD has to put in some word or something somewhere to get on the internet. Is that the same thing, or can she just plug in and off we go???

Can you even STAND how dumb I am?

Sorry... :(

and Thank you

We have a summer place with "WIFI" and DD has to put in some word or something somewhere to get on the internet. Is that the same thing, or can she just plug in and off we go???

Can you even STAND how dumb I am?

Not only are you not dumb, but it's not a dumb question, either! WiFi refers to wireless Internet capability, but even though it may be available in some places, that doesn't mean it's free. Some places may offer it to everyone, with no password required (like Starbucks, for example), but other places may require a password (and charge you, too). Your daughter pays for an Internet service provider; hence, her password to get online. The ship would also charge you... and it's the same price as using their computers in the Internet cafe onboard. I think that's 50 cents a minute, but I'm not positive. So just 'cause it's there, it doesn't mean you can actually access it... see?

So maybe we will just do that, or make a QUICK call to the house from the cabin phone. Thanks everyone!

Whatever you do DON'T use the cabin phones. Even the shortest phone call can cost a lot - at $7.95 a minute and they round up.

I had cell phone coverage on the sea day on my Monarch cruise. You are floating right off the coast of California so you might attempt that first.

Thanks Shelli for the explanation! If we are going to be paying the same I just might have her leave the laptop home and use the ship's internet "stuff" if we need it. We may and we may not check in with DH while we are off having fun, party poop that he is for not coming with us! It's ok, we'll have a great girls-only cruise!

WiFi refers to wireless Internet capability

"WiFi" stands for "Wireless Fidelity" and doesn't necessarily mean there is Internet access. It just means there is a wireless network. Whether or not that network has Internet access depends on if the person who set the network up set it up to have Internet access (i.e. through a DSL/cable modem, T1 line, etc.). Usually public WiFi hotspots do mean you can connect to the Internet through that network, though.

, but even though it may be available in some places, that doesn't mean it's free. Some places may offer it to everyone, with no password required (like Starbucks, for example), but other places may require a password (and charge you, too). Your daughter pays for an Internet service provider; hence, her password to get online. The ship would also charge you... and it's the same price as using their computers in the Internet cafe onboard. I think that's 50 cents a minute, but I'm not positive. So just 'cause it's there, it doesn't mean you can actually access it... see?

If you're staying at a hotel pre-cruise, some hotels have free WiFi or wired Internet access via an Ethernet cable and some will charge you (usually about $10 per 24 hour period [i.e. log on at 8 a.m. Monday and have access 'til 7:59 a.m. Tuesday; log on at 5 p.m. Wednesday and have access 'til 4:49 p.m. Thursday]).

In order to connect to a wireless network, your computer must be set up for it. Many computers have built-in (internal) wireless adapters. For those that don't, you can purchase an external wireless adapter to plug into a card slot or USB port.

If you're interested in setting up a network at home, I recommend setting up a Wireless-G network.

Archived