What is the formal night?

Mommytofour

Hi all! Dh and I are taking our 1st cruise to Western Caribbean on the Voyager of the Seas. I really am clueless about everything cruise. I am starting to learn by reading this forum. I have many questions but for now my question is- what is the formal night? what do you do? and if there is only one formal night then what about the other nights?

To be honest, I'm looking forward to dance. Dh and I love to dance (reg. pop music and such). So I am wondering if we can do that every night. Thanks all for any info.

We are going on the Voyager too in March! I can't wait! Anyway, formal night is just that--you dress up for dinner and whatever you want to do afterwards.

Of course formal means different things to different people. Some wear just a nice dress or dark suit, others go all out with beaded, floor-length gowns and tuxedos. Of course, you don't have to get formal at all. You can always eat in the buffet instead of the dining room, or just dress for dinner and change afterwards. But it's kind of nice to get all formal and stay that way for the evening. We don't get to do that at home at all.

And you should have no trouble finding some place to dance every night.

Have fun!

Most cruises have 2 formal nights. All it means is that your wear fancier clothing to dinner that evening. It could be anything from long gowns, coctail dresses or nice outfit. Men can rent tux or usually wear a suit & tie. There are ship photographers all over the main floors set up to take formal portraits which you have an option to buy. The other nights are casual dress at dinner.

You can dance the night away every single night. There are several different lounges on each cruise with different kinds of music which play into the wee hours of the morning. It is never a problem to find a place to dance and enjoy. Be sure to check out each lounge the first night to see which you like best so you don't miss anything. You will love it.

Keep reading the boards its a wealth of great information. Have a great cruise.

I think a dress shirt and tie would be acceptable. Although, if you and spouse are really dressed formally, he might look out of place. Just weigh the cost against how you want to look as a family, especially if you are considering having pictures made.

Thanks so much for you reply. Maybe we will spend the money to get him a jacket!!!:) I never thought of him looking out of place in pictures!

The closer it gets to Easter, you will see jacket at places like Target and Wal-Mart for decent prices. Resale shops can be great places too - they grow so fast!

Formal night is after 5 wear and a captain's gala reception pre dinner and free drinks.

You can wear anything from dress slacks and a sparkly top to a cocktail dress to a formal evening gown or anything in between! chances are you have something in your closet form the last wedding or Christmas party you attended that you can wear. The second formal night is no captains gala but usually that is the "lobster night".

Since you are on RCI-no one will bat an eye in you change after dinner to be more comfortable.

There is absolultely no reason to stress about it-have fun!

Formal night is after 5 wear and a captain's gala reception pre dinner and free drinks.

You can wear anything from dress slacks and a sparkly top to a cocktail dress to a formal evening gown or anything in between! chances are you have something in your closet form the last wedding or Christmas party you attended that you can wear. The second formal night is no captains gala but usually that is the "lobster night".

Since you are on RCI-no one will bat an eye in you change after dinner to be more comfortable.

There is absolultely no reason to stress about it-have fun!

We are doing a 7 night cruise. Will there still be 2 formal nights? And the captain's gala is that just special because the captain is dining w/everyone else. And the 2nd formal night w/no captain, is that just special because they serve lobster? thanks!

The Captain's Gala and the Captain's farewell dinners are just names they give for the formal nights. The Captain might dine at the second seating with selected passengers. The Captain will also host a cocktail reception on one of those nights were everyone goes to the lounge and gets free drinks.

We are doing a 7 night cruise. Will there still be 2 formal nights? And the captain's gala is that just special because the captain is dining w/everyone else. And the 2nd formal night w/no captain, is that just special because they serve lobster? thanks!

Hey I have never seenthe captain dine or have been at the captain's table. I think it is called "Captain's glas" because it is like a "welcome aboard"-as I said there is a little predinner party with free drinks for everyone on ship.

Yes there are 2 formal nights on RCI and I have no idea WHY on the second formal night lobster is served- tradition I guess.

Most lines have 2 formal nights for a 7 night crusie. NCL has only one. Some lines like Oceania hae no formal night-but their casual nights are upscale casual-so the men wear sportcoats and you see no jeans-or at least that is what I have heard-I have never been on Oceania.

Please, no reason to stress about formal night, just wear what you would wear to a nice wedding or Christmas party. On casual nights your jeans with a nice top are fine-just no sneakers and teeshirts with slogans should be worn.

Think of what you woudl wear on a casual dress down Friday in an office. That is fine for a RCI casual night.

Here's a link to RCI's website on the subject.http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

We will be doing our first RCI cruise in July. Getting all the info now.

Cheers

Mark

Archived