What ship did I sail on?

racepoint

It was January '02. Got a post-9/11 deal on airfare, hotel and cruise out of Miami for a 4-day cruise that went to the Bahamas and their private island. I recall it was an older ship. Now that I think about it, it reminds me of the Majesty as she currently sails, but it wasn't Majesty. I have a feeling that she may no longer be in service. I gathered her heyday was in the 70's. Any idea what ship I was on and are there pictures available??:rolleyes:

It had to have been the Majesty, she was doing that run that year, alternating 3 and 4 days. I was actually on a 3 day shortly before yours.

Whoops, I'm a year off, I sailed the next winter season. Prehaps the Norway?

It might of been the Norwegian Sea. I recall she did 4 and 5 night cruises a few years ago. She started her life in 1987, not the 70's though. The 70's era ships (Sunward, Westward, Southward, and Norwegian Star) were sold off before '02. They were actually better than than newer builds as they had larger cabins as they were originally built (except Southward) for longer cruises for Royal Viking Line.

I also was lucky enough to cruise Jan '02 when the deals were the best I have ever seen. My father cruised alone in a cabin next to us and didn't have to pay a single supplement on the Celebrity Zenith.

A 70's era ship I forgot about was the Sunward II. She was not part of Royal Viking Line.

I loved the smaller size of Norwegian Sea myself when I sailed her in the mid 90's, but the cheap interior formica like surfaces in the cabins were not to my liking. The 2 story atrium with the mirrors and black fountain were pretty hideous also. The Norwegian Sea was also the only NCL ship I have seen dock in Tampa. She was there for drydock and I made a special trip to the docks to see her as NCL has avoided sailings from my nearest port for unknown reasons.

(Sorry for information overload...)

It might of been the Norwegian Sea. I recall she did 4 and 5 night cruises a few years ago. She started her life in 1987, not the 70's though. The 70's era ships (Sunward, Westward, Southward, and Norwegian Star) were sold off before '02. They were actually better than than newer builds as they had larger cabins as they were originally built (except Southward) for longer cruises for Royal Viking Line.

70's era also included Skyward and Starward that were similar to the Southward but not identical sisterships. These two would have also exited the fleet by the time the poster sailed.

As far as the Sunward, Westward and original Norwegian Star are concerned. Yes they were from the RVL fleet but were well worn by the time NCL started using them.

I remember being on one of the original "Texaribbean" cruises from Houston on the first Norwegian Star. 7 straight days with no A/C but open bar to keep us cooled off. It was the best of times...It was the worst of times.

I do recall the A/C problems on the Norwegian Star that were reported by the Houston Chronicle. Sorry you experienced it first hand. I was spoiled on the Sunward though as I thought a bathtub and a hotel sized cabin was standard on a cruise ship. The Sunward was in pretty good shape. My future cruises on NCL's newer ships brought me into reality of small cabins though.

70's era also included Skyward and Starward that were similar to the Southward but not identical sisterships. These two would have also exited the fleet by the time the poster sailed.

Skyward and Starward were late 60's ships.

A 70's era ship I forgot about was the Sunward II. She was not part of Royal Viking Line.

(Sorry for information overload...)

Too funny that you remember the Sunward II. No one else does and that was my very first cruise ever...4 day to the Bahamas.

Thanks for your replies. It was definitely the SEA. I had a memory that it was a short "s" word and SEA jogged my memory. I do understand your questioning my memory lapse when it comes to the name of the ship and I agree with your statement regarding how I could forget after "all that planning." This particular cruise involved very little planning. It was a spur-of-the-moment booking to surprise my husband for his 40th. Being just a couple months post 9-11, you'll recall that airlines were having trouble finding passengers to board their planes and, subsequently, I think the cruise ships were suffering. I scored an incredible deal on the whole trip and it virtually came together in a matter of days. I have been on multiple ships on multiple lines over the past 10 years and I remember every single one of them . . . except this ship. I think because it is no longer sailing (or at least is no longer part of NCL's fleet.) I now realize it was the SEA. If it's still sailing, I'd like to hear where and under what name.

Norwegian Sea was transferred to parent company Star Cruises in 2005, where she is now sailing as SuperStar Libra.

Norwegian Sea (then called Seaward) was our first NCL cruise. This was back in 1992. It was a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise. This was the first of several NCL cruises we took in the '90s, and will always be a special ship to us.

Archived