Adventure Ocean & kids dining

IandY

We're doing a 6 night western Caribbean cruise on the Radiance in February with our 5 and 6 year olds and as well, two other couples. We're trying to plan our Chops/Portifino nights for the adults and ideally would like to try them on evenings that Adventure Ocean offers to look after the kids for dinner. I've contacted RCI and the response was "typically two nights..varries from ship to ship".

Can anyone offer insight on this? Would the AO dining nightsfor the little ones be the same as the formal nights?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well they were helpful weren't they? lol ;)

Yes it's the two formal nights.

On the night I went to Portofino (didn't want to go on a formal night). I took the kids to WJ at 6pm for dinner. They I dropped them off at AO at 7pm. And had reservations for Portofino at 7pm.

crusinmama06, thanks for the info. We too are planning an adults night at Portofino which will probably not be one of the formal nights. I like your idea to take the kids to WJ (or even Johnny Rockets) and then to the kids club and make a 7pm reservation. Please remind me - the kids club opens at 7pm for the evening, correct? Again, thanks!

crusinmama06, thanks for the info. We too are planning an adults night at Portofino which will probably not be one of the formal nights. I like your idea to take the kids to WJ (or even Johnny Rockets) and then to the kids club and make a 7pm reservation. Please remind me - the kids club opens at 7pm for the evening, correct? Again, thanks!

On normal nights, they open at 6:45.

AO-FOS-Day6-3-5b.jpg

On Formal nights they open at 5:45 for the kids dinner at Johnny Rockets. You have to sign your kids up in advance (the morning of) to be able to take them to the kids dinner.

Here is the page from AO on a formal night (on FOS)

AO-FOS-Day2-6_8b.jpg

Well they were helpful weren't they? lol ;)

Yes it's the two formal nights.

On the night I went to Portofino (didn't want to go on a formal night). I took the kids to WJ at 6pm for dinner. They I dropped them off at AO at 7pm. And had reservations for Portofino at 7pm.

Thanks Michele,

We can always count on you to help with the kid related questions. I think you're suggestion is a good one to book for 7:00 as we too want to enjoy the formal nights.

Thanks again for all your insight.

We just did the murder mystery dinner on the Serenade last week. It was not one of the nights that AO takes the kids to dinner, and it started prior to AO opening at 7:00. We arranged for an in room babysitter for an hour for our two girls. She was great. She showed up at 6:00, took the girls to the Windjammer for dinner and signed them into Adventure Ocean. That worked out well for us and will give you an alternative if you want to go to Chops or Portofino on a non-formal night.

Eric

Last cruise we had early seating and did not like the rushed feeling. We did Chops/Portofino's 3 times all together to avoid the rushed feeling and also because DD has getting sick of the 2hr dining room experience. On the 2nd formal night DD went to Kids Club and they took her to dinner and the other 2 non formal nights, my DH took her to WJ for a daddy/daughter date and then he dropped her off at AO and then picked me up for his next date.:D I had an hour to myself in the cabin to sit out on the balcony and get ready in peace. It was very nice. You may also order room service for your child before they go to AO while everyone is getting ready.

Also, just be aware that the specialty restaurants sometimes let kids in under 13 for the 6pm reservations so I would book about 7:30pm if you want a kids free night.

Also, just be aware that the specialty restaurants sometimes let kids in under 13 for the 6pm reservations so I would book about 7:30pm if you want a kids free night.

In the dining room the meal can be shortened to an hour. The servers follow the lead of the table. Of course, this theory doesn't work if there are more people at your table then just the family. ;)

But you're right. It is a rush to get to dinner on some nights, especially port days.

Thanks for all the input and advice. It's our first RCI cruise, our first with the kids and our first travelling with other couples. Lots of unknowns which is not necessarily a good thing...especially for a hyper-planner!

In the dining room the meal can be shortened to an hour. The servers follow the lead of the table. Of course, this theory doesn't work if there are more people at your table then just the family. ;)

But you're right. It is a rush to get to dinner on some nights, especially port days.

I wish it could. Our last cruise on the NOS they sat us with a family with 3 teenage boys. They were very nice but the kids and the parents ate at least 2 appetizers and a salad before their main course. Our 2nd night (1st formal night) we did order DD's meal first with our appetizers and then sent her up to Kids Club before our main course came. That worked out well for us and we would have continued doing so if she came with us for the rest of the week. It is funny, she LOVES going out to dinner at home and has the best manners and eats mainly from an adult menu but I guess when you are on a cruise and sitting with all adults or teenagers, it screams BORING! Once she knew the Kids Club was upstairs awaiting her there was no desire to be in that dining room again. :D

I wish it could. Our last cruise on the NOS they sat us with a family with 3 teenage boys. They were very nice but the kids and the parents ate at least 2 appetizers and a salad before their main course. Our 2nd night (1st formal night) we did order DD's meal first with our appetizers and then sent her up to Kids Club before our main course came. That worked out well for us and we would have continued doing so if she came with us for the rest of the week. It is funny, she LOVES going out to dinner at home and has the best manners and eats mainly from an adult menu but I guess when you are on a cruise and sitting with all adults or teenagers, it screams BORING! Once she knew the Kids Club was upstairs awaiting her there was no desire to be in that dining room again. :D

Oh I would have had a cow! :eek:

We have been soooo lucky. On 8 cruises we have only sat with others ONCE and it was our honeymoon cruise. I have never had to request a table for just our family but somehow we have always gotten it. I hope my luck holds out. :D

Archived