Sea of Cortez Cruise

PCruzer

This is the first time we will be cruising in this area. Can anyone tell me which ports are easily navigated on your own, without taking a shore excursion. We will be stopping in Cabo San Lucas, La Paz, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Loretto, and Topolobampo (where we already have arranged to do an excursion to the Copper Canyon). Thanks for your help!

We are doing this cruise in March. There's not a lot of info on the lesser-known ports of Loreto, La Paz and Tobolobampo, but this is what I found out:

Tobolobampo - the ship does offer a few other excursions besides Copper Canyon, and I've read that there are a few beaches one could take a taxi to. The bay where the ship docks is supposed to have lots of bird life and dolphins, so a bay cruise is reportedly a nice option. I've also read that there will be a shuttle into Los Mochis, but can't find much info on that town.

Loreto is an easy walk around town.

La Paz looks to be a pretty little town, and I understand there is a shuttle from the pier in Pichilingue to La Paz.

Cabo, Mazatlan and PV are fairly easy to do on your own, depending upon what activities you are interested in. Some activities in PV are not available unless you book thru your ship.

Hope this helps.

We did this cruise last April. We took a bus in to town in Topolobambo and wis we would have went to the beach instead. Not much to see and we spoke to several people who spent the day at the beach and had a great time at the little beach bars/restaurants that were there.

We walked around town in La Paz and had a great time! We really loved this town and would like to spend time there on one of our trips to Cabo soon.

In Loreto we walked around some and then grabbed a cab to check out the huge condo community that our friends have purchased at. We spent the rest of the day at the beautiful resort there, having lunch and using their pools which was allowed as we had taken a tour of the community.

Hope this helps!:)

Archived