For those who have sailed 2 HI from Ensenada

Cruisin' Ron VA

I am kicking around Carnival Spirit from Ensenada in April of 2009. The Carnival brochure says that there is free transportation on a motorcoach from LA or San Diego to Ensenada to meet the ship. I would feel more comfortable flying to LA or San Diego and doing riding the bus.

Has anyone done this? When does the bus leave? Is Ensenada a safe place? How long is the bus ride?

Any other information would be great.

This type of trip I prefer to plan early!

Thanks!

We did this back in 1998 on the Jubilee, so some things may have changed.

We flew into San Diego at 12 and were on our way by 1. The bus ride was about 2 hours, and they did the check in procedures on board, but this was before FunPass. The ride itself was comfortable, and tour like. We drove along the ocean aways, feeling like we were doing part of the PCH.

When we got to Ensenda, we simply walked off the bus, and onto the ship. We did come back off to stroll around, but we eventually got back on. The Holiday was in port with us. I did not "feel" unsafe.

We sailed at five, with the Holiday pulling out first. It was very surreal pulling out, knowing we wouldn't see land for 5 and a half days.

It was VERY relaxing, and enjoyable, and I remember wanting to yell LAND HO when we first saw our first island, Kauai.

We had a car waiting for us in every port, and we went where we wanted, when we wanted. There were LONG lines of people wanting to rent cars who had no made arrangements previous. The prices were also double what we paid.

There were a LOT more older (OLDER) pax on board.

Hey thanks Pete.

I havent done a west coast departure before and thought I would give it a try since HI has always been on my list of things to do. I am not about to let NCL ruin my bigger cruise vacations so Carnival is the way to go obviously.

The older crowd would be ok. I cant imagine there would be a lot of kids onboard for such a long trip anyway. ;)

How about anyone else lately?

• 9 months later...

We did a Princess cruise where we reported into the San Diego terminal. They loaded our baggage aboard the ship, it sailed, and we were then bused to Ensenada.

I would not want to drive or be responsible for getting myself to Ensenada. So I would definitely recommend using the cruise lines service so you do not figure it out yourself or travel by yourself. ;)

Archived