Dubrovnik - getting onto the walls?

I recall the steps being numerous and steep, esp. at the main entrance. The other problem your parents may have is that once you are up there, it's a long hike around. Here's a link to a similar question on tripadvisor which might be of help to you:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295371-i1555-k779344-Stairs_to_get_off_the_wall_other_than_Pile_and_Polce-Dubrovnik.html

If you don't get up onto the wall, at the far end of the Stradun, within the walled town, there is a small harbour, with nice views....and a level walk along the Stradun.

The views from your cruise ship will also be very nice...it's a beautiful area!

My father managed fine (he is 70 and has had knee replacements and a bypass- so an average 70 year old). He is overweight and managed fine.

If your parents have any walking issues the wall is definitely out. There are many stairs thru out the walk and it is not for those with severe vertigo or walking issues.

My parents did the trip to Eze (by the way) and both of them were exhausted by the walk. This was much more difficult for them than the wall in Dubrovnik.

Well heres my take on the steps - YIKES :eek:

The ones I went up were steep and got skinnier as I went up and the railing was loose metal...... I was practically on my hands and knees at the top....but I made it. A little quesy for a bit. But it was worth it.

BTW - I am 51 and very fit. It was not vertigo but just not a very safe feeling either..... There are lots of neat areas for elderly to explore... and lots of areas that would not be accessible for those with problems with stairs etc.... lots of stairs !!!! And uneven areas and some slick areas if the area is wet (it was overcast and a bit foggy the day we were there)

Also....not sure where Susan M docked....but we were docked quite a ways from the old Town..... had a shuttle bus taking people back and forth for $8.00 per person round trip - tickets at pursers desk.

I was in Dubrovnik in May 07. We tendered direct to the port by the old town.

The entrance to the walls is close to the port. The walk right the way around the top of the walls took us a bit over an hour. There are a lot of steps, some of which were quite steep, and we had some problems with people going the wrong way round (you are asked to go anti-clockwise) causing some problems in places.

When we were there it was very hot, but there were a couple of places where you could buy cold drinks, though from memory there was only one set of toilets.

Here is a link to some of my cruise photos, which includes several taken from the walls in Dubrovnik:

Paul S

Hello Paul,

We are taking a cruise this April which is a similar itinerary as yours was.

Aside from walking the wall around Dubrovnik, do you have any other recommendations? We are going to do that stop on our own. Did you visit the synagogue there? If so is it in close proximity to the port? We are on the Noordam and Dubrovnik is our first port.

Thanks.

Regards from sunny St. Croix USVI,

Ellen

PS I enjoyed looking at your photos!

I walked the walls with my mother (79) last year. It was quite steep in places and narrow steps but she was OK (glad to get down again though!) The views were spectacular.

As we were on the walls above the harbour area, we saw tour boats going to CAVTAT - which is a beautiful little town about 1/2 hr up the coast by boat. We decided to go, and spent a lovely 2 hrs wandering around this pretty village, admiring the view and enjoying coffee & pastries on the water front cafe. it was really lovely. There is plenty of time to do both Dubrovnik old town, the walls and this little excursion - I think the boat trip was 10 Euro each. Well worth it. Boats were returning regularly, so you could stay as long as suited you. We returned around 3pm, wandered around the old town for 1 hr or so before returning to the ship.

Oooh - and the Ice creams!!!! Just like Gelato in Italy....

Hi CrucianGal,

We tendered direct into the port by the old town, then went straight onto the walls.

After we had been round the walls we went to the Synagogue. As you go from the port into the old city the Synagogue was to the right. You go up a flight of steps (I think second or third on the right but I can't remember the name of the street), and the entrance is on the left side of the steps. It's well known, apparently the oldest still in use in Western Europe, so you should be able to google the details, or get the address from tourist information in Dubrovnik.

You have to go upstairs. There is a museum on the first floor, and the Shul is on the second floor.

After that we went and had lunch outside at one of the cafes in the old city by the port, had a walk up and down the main square looking in the shops, then went back to the ship.

We had intended to take a taxi up to the top of the hill behind the city, where there are stunning views over the city and sea, but never quite made it!

Paul S

Margbem,

I was fortunate enough to walk the walls of Dubrovnik the beginning of last May. I do not have a clear memory of the stairs except that we were not rushed up them. My 50ish husband has bad knees. I am thinking it was about 50 steps but I could be off. The steps were narrow and a bit uneven. I think there was a hand rail. You did hit steps going around the wall. What I do remember is that it was an 80 degree day and we ran into an American tourist around 75 years old with heat stroke. Her group had no water and there was no shade around much of the wall. Being in May, the concession stands were not open and there was only 2 access points down to the city. There were 2 nurses in our group and we held an umbrella over her and soaked her in ice water until she cooled off and was able to drink. We managed to get help for her from a local. Bottom line, do not attempt this with out water. This city is delightful and the wall was worth seeing even if you can only manage up the stairs and walk a few feet and come back down.

The bottom line is that Dubrovnik is a great city and you will be able to look at the stairs prior and decide if they look manageable.

I too was there in early May 07, and it was certainly hot! We did find a couple of places open to buy drinks, but it is always sensible to take water with you.

I am also in my early fifties with dodgy knees, probably something to do with the fact I still keep wicket (a cricket reference for those who might not understand). Its not so much the getting up onto the walls, but the very many steps once you are up there. My in-laws were with us, both in their late 70's but reasonably fit. I probably had more of a problem than they did! I don't recall that you could get off the wall part way round, so if you have had enough before the end you would have to go on.

On the day we were in Dubrovnik there were only two ships in the bay. However, I am told that in high season there could be up to seven at one time, so I guess the walls could get rather crowded.

Paul S

I don't recall that you could get off the wall part way round, so if you have had enough before the end you would have to go on. Paul S

FYI: There is another set of steps about halfway around. These are located near the restrooms. We went up near the main gate (where the drawbridge is located) but did not go all the way around. We ended up near the Maritime Museum. Just so you know you don't have to go all the way around :)

Archived