Is Chichen Itza vastly superior to other sites?

Thoth

Chichen Itza is by and far the most publicized Mayan site. it was even voted a new wonder of the world. Is it that much better than all the other sites?

I haven't visited Chichen Itza but have been through Uxmal, Tulum, San Gervasio at Cozumel, Xunantunich in Belize, and Kohunlich. I was most impressed with Uxmal, followed by Kohunlich and Xunantunich where I could climb on the ruins.

The consensus I'm getting is that Chichen Itza is larger, but mostly roped off.

What do you all think?

hdawson and Yucatantoday, the shore excursions manager on my first cruise told me the same things. Back in 2000 I was on the now defunct Enchanted Capri and was contemplating Mayan ruins tours. Upon speaking with the shore excursions manager, he convinced me that Uxmal is the best tour out of Progresso. He seemed to think Chichen Itza was simply more famous, but not necessarily the best. Uxmal was wonderful and if Chichen Itza is superior then it must be something.

I might add that on some excursions to Uxmal, that Merida is included. Merida is well worth seeing. It's a genuine Mexican city as opposed to a superficial tourist trap. The city's cathedral dates from the 1500's.

Chichen Itza is by and far the most publicized Mayan site. it was even voted a new wonder of the world. Is it that much better than all the other sites?

I haven't visited Chichen Itza but have been through Uxmal, Tulum, San Gervasio at Cozumel, Xunantunich in Belize, and Kohunlich. I was most impressed with Uxmal, followed by Kohunlich and Xunantunich where I could climb on the ruins. The consensus I'm getting is that Chichen Itza is larger, but mostly roped off. What do you all think?

It is larger and roped off....climbing the stairs of the temple is now prohibited, but the quality of restoration and artwork is worth the trip.

If you have been to all those other Mayan sites, you would certainly appreciate Chichen Itza. It would complete your resume, so to speak.

It is larger and roped off....climbing the stairs of the temple is now prohibited, but the quality of restoration and artwork is worth the trip.

If you have been to all those other Mayan sites, you would certainly appreciate Chichen Itza. It would complete your resume, so to speak.

OH I thought about that. Folks are always asking..."did you see Chichen Itza?" because they have heard of it. Someday, I will see it .

One dilemma that I discovered is in order to visit that site on a cruise Progresso seems to be the only dependable port that offers it consistently. I would hate to book a cruise simply for Progresso, then have that particular shore excursion cancelled or the port missed due to weather.

OH I thought about that. Folks are always asking..."did you see Chichen Itza?" because they have heard of it. Someday, I will see it .

One dilemma that I discovered is in order to visit that site on a cruise Progresso seems to be the only dependable port that offers it consistently. I would hate to book a cruise simply for Progresso, then have that particular shore excursion cancelled or the port missed due to weather.

Isn't Chichen Itza offered from Cozumel? When sailing on the NCL Sun our excursion took the ferry across to the mainland and then the bus to the site. I believe the distance from Cozumel to Chichen Itza is about the same as from Progreso.

Isn't Chichen Itza offered from Cozumel? When sailing on the NCL Sun our excursion took the ferry across to the mainland and then the bus to the site. I believe the distance from Cozumel to Chichen Itza is about the same as from Progreso.

Perhaps it is a new excursion from Cozumel. In 2001 it wasn't offered, which the last time I was in Czumel.

According to the 2007 Shore Excursions book, Chichen Itza tour from Cozumel takes 11.5 hours. The tour from Progresso list 7 hours.

Time in port seems to be an issue.

I haven't visited Chichen Itza but have been through Uxmal, Tulum, San Gervasio at Cozumel, Xunantunich in Belize, and Kohunlich. I was most impressed with Uxmal, followed by Kohunlich and Xunantunich where I could climb on the ruins.

What do you all think?

Sorry double posts, can't seem to delete one?

What do you all think?

Better? I don't know? Chichen Itza has lot's to see but ever since the WoW thing came out it's so crowded and the vendors are EVERYWHERE. I still have "cheaper then Wal-mart" ringing in my ears. And since a lady from San Deigo fell to her death in 2006 everything but the Observatory is roped off. To me Uxmal is a much better site.

Better? I don't know? Chichen Itza has lot's to see but ever since the WoW thing came out it's so crowded and the vendors are EVERYWHERE. I still have "cheaper then Wal-mart" ringing in my ears. And since a lady from San Deigo fell to her death in 2006 everything but the Observatory is roped off. To me Uxmal is a much better site.

Tulum was roped off as well. It's a shame. Pay all that money in order to see a sight only to see "stay away".

Unfortunately, the damage to the structures was increasing as the tourist population increased - chipped sculptures, graffiti, and some people had been hurt when climbing. In order to preserve the sites, the archaelogical bureau decided to close them to climbers. I loved climbing the pyramids, too.

Unfortunately, the damage to the structures was increasing as the tourist population increased - chipped sculptures, graffiti, and some people had been hurt when climbing. In order to preserve the sites, the archaelogical bureau decided to close them to climbers. I loved climbing the pyramids, too.

You can still go up the Grand at Uxmal, right? My wife has friends in from the States and we're planing on driving out to see the site and stay for the light show Thursday.

I do not blame them. This sites have survived for over 1000 years and should be protected.

If you've never visited Chichen Itza then go. I went, I loved it, I might go back again sometime but I wouldn't be running to go there. I'd prefer to get to Uxmal or another Mayan site. That being said, I don't know that I'll get to Tulum when I'm Cozumel next despite loving Mayan ruins.

I believe some ships will do Chichen Itza from Playa del Carmen/Calica, which is on the mainland close to Cozumel.

I do not blame them. This sites have survived for over 1000 years and should be protected.

No, I don't blame them either. Especially after being out at Chichen Itza two weeks ago and seeing the crowds.

For the record I called out to Uxmal this morning and yes you can still climb the Grand there. But they don't get anywhere near the crowds Chichen does.

No, I don't blame them either. Especially after being out at Chichen Itza two weeks ago and seeing the crowds.

For the record I called out to Uxmal this morning and yes you can still climb the Grand there. But they don't get anywhere near the crowds Chichen does.

I was there 2 days after Christmas and there were probably near 50 bus loads of people there if not more. I can't imagine the wear and tear. I think it's good that the Mexican gov't is putting limits on the climbing of the pyramids. Still was disappointed though that I couldn't climb. :p

I believe some ships will do Chichen Itza from Playa del Carmen/Calica, which is on the mainland close to Cozumel.

according to the book, it takes 9 hours and not available for all sailings. I guess port time is an issue.

• 2 months later...
Perhaps it is a new excursion from Cozumel. In 2001 it wasn't offered, which the last time I was in Czumel.

According to the 2007 Shore Excursions book, Chichen Itza tour from Cozumel takes 11.5 hours. The tour from Progresso list 7 hours.

Time in port seems to be an issue.

Taking the tour from Progreso means 3 driving hrs saving, because of the ferry from Cozumel to Playa and then the land trip. From Progreso is only the land trip of two hrs. Have fun.

Archived