Scuba certification question

heydn62

I enjoy snorkeling and would love to learn to dive. I'm an average swimmer, not great but OK. I can snorkel for hours without using a vest, but I've never been able to float on my back for some reason, and I get tired treading water. Should I forget about SCUBA certification?

I say "go for it". I don't think you have to be an excellent swimmer as long as you are comfortable in the water and it sounds like you are.

To be sure, you would be well served to talk with an instructor at your local dive shop and get a professional opinion.

I enjoy snorkeling and would love to learn to dive. I'm an average swimmer, not great but OK. I can snorkel for hours without using a vest, but I've never been able to float on my back for some reason, and I get tired treading water. Should I forget about SCUBA certification?

Check out your local dive shop and ask for their Discover scuba program.

The purpose of the DS experience is to introduce the nondiving public to diving in a safe, controlled, enjoyable session and to dispel myths about diving. Discover scuba provides nondivers with an opportunity to actually scuba dive in the safe confines of a swimming pool or confined water environment. The experience presents diving in a pleasant and exciting way.

This will give you about 30 min. in a pool with equipment on so you will know what it feels like.

After that I'm sure you will look at signing up to become a open water certified diver

you can also learn more and go to the PADI site (http://www.padi.com)

SO GO DIVE EXPERIENCE INTENSE ADVENTURE

PADI MSDT Instructor

Check out your local dive shop and ask for their Discover scuba program.

The purpose of the DS experience is to introduce the nondiving public to diving in a safe, controlled, enjoyable session and to dispel myths about diving. Discover scuba provides nondivers with an opportunity to actually scuba dive in the safe confines of a swimming pool or confined water environment. The experience presents diving in a pleasant and exciting way.

This will give you about 30 min. in a pool with equipment on so you will know what it feels like.

After that I'm sure you will look at signing up to become a open water certified diver

you can also learn more and go to the PADI site (www.padi.com)

SO GO DIVE EXPERIENCE INTENSE ADVENTURE

PADI MSDT Instructor

Hi,

I agree with all the above. I "sink" while swimming but do well at scuba. Just be aware there is a swimming "test" as part of the certification. But there's no time limit to complete and if you don't pass, you're allowed a "snorkel" version which sounds like you can do in spades. Good Luck!

Randall

I say give it a try. I had an experience when I was going through my certification. The first pool session you have to swim 200yds and then you tread water for 10 min. The swim had no time limit so I just took it easy and did the swim since I am not in the same shape I was at the age of 18 but there was this young college kid who was a runner that just blew me away on the swim. Then we got to the treading water portion of the test and he struggled like crazy to stay afloat and I just smiled at him and said "fat floats" and just relaxed and enjoyed the 10 min rest.

Speakind as a diving Instructor for 20+ years, go for it. You need to be comfortable in the water. If you are comfortable you can learn to dive. I got certified when I was 17, couldn't swim for beans but loved the water. I figured If I couldn't stay on top, I had better know what I was doing underneath.

With proper training and equipment SCUBA is one of the easiest things you can do. I found more students had trouble with the snorkeling than with the diving in thier certification class. If you are an avid snorkler and love the water, diving will enhance your Carribbean experience unlike anything else you could imagine.

Have fun and welcome to diving!

If you can snorkel for hours without using a vest, you must be comfortable in the water. Not being able to float on your back probably means that your fat to muscle ratio is low (fat floats, muscle doesn't). Being negatively buoyant can actually be an advantage in SCUBA diving. It means that you'll need less weight to help you sink than you would if you were positively buoyant. Carrying less weight makes your buoyancy control easier during your dive.

Since you get tired treading water, you might want to work on your cardio conditioning a bit before you start your certification class.

Thanks for all the advice. My son (11) and I went to a local dive shop and did the "Discover Scuba" bit today and will start our certification training in 2 weeks (he's out of school the whole week).

I have another question about diving with kids on a cruise, but I'll post it separately as it's completely off topic.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely not, you just need proper training. it is actually a misconception that you need to be a strong swimmer to scuba dive. As a matter of fact some of my best students over the years were non-swimmers when they started training. As fas as floating on your back and the need to tread water that is what the "Buoyancy Compensator" is for... A certification course will train you to use one properly making it a "non-issue".

Archived