Sydney questions

bobbiefort

After not being able to decide which excursion to pick out from cruise brochure, we have reserved a car. We are thinking of driving to Baddeck/Bras d'Or Lake. I guess we will have time to go to Louisbourg also? Anyone have driving route ideas? Or can you hire cabs/locals to drive you to Baddeck and other places?

Thanks!

You can't drive to Baddeck and Louisbourg in one port call and do either justice even if you could make it.. You can get locals to take you to Louisbourg and to Baddeck.. They are located at the port or you can reserve ahead of time.

Locals will have good maps for you to get to Baddeck or Louisbourg.. We went to Louisbourg on a ship tour (big mistake).. locals allow you longer and you need at least 3 hours..

Ditto the above request! We had dinner with friends last night who were just at the Fort. I told them we had plannd to take a cab, but they said when they were there, cabs were few and far between. They suggested we set up something ahead of time, but haven't found a way to do that yet. Also, I am assuming from the info on the Louisbourg site that the "animation" referred to as not being in effect from Oct.16 to the close of the Fort in November means there will not be any costumed individuals giving info and that is why you must take a guided tour through the Visitor Center with the Park Service. Has anyone been to Louisbourg late in the season? Is it still worth going?

I actually emailed the Fortress and was told there were no local tours available...I thought this was odd b/c I have heard of many people taking tours from local tour companies. I have heard of Tartan Tours, but their website seems to not be working the last few times I have checked. Might there be tour companies at the pier that you can use without booking in advance? I do have numbers of Sydney taxi companies, so I guess if we decide we want to go, we can just give one of them a call.

we rented a car last year and drove to baddeck. it's a very nice ride lots of foliage and such.The museum in baddeck is very interesting. on the way you go up a mountain/hill and there's a look out spot where you can pull over and look at the lovely view. i saw my first real turnip truck.ok i know that's not a big deal but you always hear about "just fallin off of the turnip truck", but i never really had seen one.

we took a round about way back and took one of the littlest car ferries i've ever seen ( other than chappaquiddick of course). just make sure you have canadian money for the ferry guy. he kinda rolled his eyes and did a "harumph" when the people next to us also from the cruise gave him american money and wanted american change.He said " lady your in canada we only have canadian change". then looked at us fortunatly we had canadian money. It's not hard to drive and it's not far. perfect for a lovely fall day

Sorry, guys, I was "stranded" on Mariner of the Seas during Hurr. Jeanne so just got back very late Wednesday night from what turned out to be my 9-night cruise and left on Sept. 18 so did not see posts re frustration on taxis etc. in Sydney. I am going to have to look through my stuff from last year.. there were cabs and tourist bureau folks in terminal then who had no problem arranging cabs etc. to Louisbourg etc although it's a bit late this year -- I think they have gone to fall hours.. I am sorry I didn't answer above..it was unavoidable.!

Hi all, Jsut got back from Celebrity -Constellation. Fabulous cruise. We took the Baddeck & Alexander graham Bell tour as arranged thru the ship. The guide was excellent. Very amusing & very knowledgable. Weather was rather overcast with occasional showers so didnt get all the scenery in its best colours, but picturesque drive nonetheless. Museum was fascinating. Could have stayed longer. All the locals we met were extremely polite & very friendly. Female bagpiper was playing as we got off the ship & there are a couple of shops, post office & a large warehouse at the end of the gangplank and inside is a craft market. Sydney itself is a little spread out & there were costumed locals acting as guides for the various walking tours. Personally, I think you need to go do something because there is not enough in Sydney to occupy you all day.

Hope this helps

jo

• 5 months later...

Archived