Snorkeling Choices with Kids

doggypaddle

We are cruising to several islands and are trying to chose the best one for snorkeling with our children, ages 6 & 9. We took them snorkeling for the first time last winter in Grand Cayman and it was pretty choppy and hard for them to manage. :eek: If anyone has any recommendations for a snorkeling spot among these islands that would offer calmer waters, please let me know: Puerto Rico, Nassau, St. Thomas (St. John is possible) , Antigua and St. Martin.

Thanks a bunch!

Shannon

St Thomas/ St John has some of the calmest water in the Carribbean. The reefs are nice and the Kids( and parents) should love it there.

Hi,

Second St. Thomas/St. John. If you go to St. Thomas go to to Coki Beach. Not only is it some of the best snorkeling in St. Thomas but it's right next to Coral World. That gives the kids a lot more options in case they decide snorkeling not for them or the water's rough that day (a very rare occasion). You can see the diagram of this area at: http://www.coralworldvi.com/park-map.shtml and click some of the other pages to see more about the attraction. Plus taxis are readly available to get back to the ship. But, if you want the best snorkeling you'll have to go to St. Johns. You can go to the ports boards and go to St. Thomas to get info on how to get there.

Randall

Hi we are also going to both St. Thomas and St. Maarten and plan on snorkeling with kids. Is St. Maarten any good? I think the wives want to shop in St. Thomas.

Hi,

I snorkeled in St. Maarten and wasn't that thrilled with it. Also, I don't mind but most of St. Maarten's beaches are "clothing optional" and some parents don't want their kids "staring" at folks pointing. :p Send the wives shopping (I have problems with my one wife shopping) and take the kids snorkeling in St. Thomas. BTW, shopping in St. Maarten isn't that bad and if you take a 20 minute ride to Margot (the french capital) you can get some very nice European Continental items not found outside Europe (wonderful French wines for sale and the food for lunch is to die for).

Randall

Just wondering if it makes a difference that we will be chartering a private sailboat. You mention the beaches, but if we will be out on a boat I don't see how the beaches will matter.

Hi,

If you have a private sailboat you'll probably get to snorkel anyway. St. Martin is ok, can't say I saw many fish, lots of coral though, but that was from a small island off the beach. You may have better luck with the snorkeling if you can go some place other people don't normally snorkel, or fish, at.

Randall

Archived