family portraits onboard (non-formal)

smnornes

Hello! We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess with our kids (ages 7 and 8) in April. I remember reading (maybe in a past Princess Patter) about portrait opportunities throughout the cruise, not just on formal nights. We have decided not to participate in formal nights for a variety of reasons, but I still want to take advantage of any portrait opportunities (I'm the family photographer and hence, NEVER get a true family picture on vacation!) Do you know about this? Thanks!

I will preface this by saying I have never been on a Princess ship. BUT, on every ship and line I have been on there has been backdrops set up at every turn. ;)

I can imagine that Princess is no exception.

In my signature there is a picture of my girls with a white background on a non-formal night. They called the portraits "Casual".

And you don't need to "participate" in formal night to go get your pictures taken on that night. There are usually MANY backdrops on formal night. You could just pick one and pop right on in line. The photog doesn't care what you are wearing. Your money is all that counts. ;)

thanks! I love your family portrait in your signature!

Is there a deal (like Disney has) where you can purchase a CD of the ship-taken photos ahead of time at a better price?

Disney is different. They do those packages in their parks too.

Pretty much the only discount you are going to get on another cruiseline, like Princess, is a free album or frame.

Or when I was on Carnival and had 21 pictures in my hand, I think the guy took pitty on me and gave me a few free albums...lol.

But I don't believe there is a pre-purchase plan.

You will not even believe the amount of photo ops that there will be throughout your cruise. Besides alcohol, this is pretty much how they make their money. I have seen some really cute backdrops...my dd is now reluctant to have her pic taken...we have to beg her on Formal nights to get some..I usually take a few different ones...Mom is pretty picky about how I look...lol:eek:

We've been on three different Princess ships and most nights (after the first night) there are multiple backdrops set up for photos - you can pretty much have portraits taken every night in a few different poses. Keep in mind - for the all white or all black ones, they require you to take off your shoes.

Best,

Mia

I will preface this by saying I have never been on a Princess ship. BUT, on every ship and line I have been on there has been backdrops set up at every turn. ;)

I can imagine that Princess is no exception.

In my signature there is a picture of my girls with a white background on a non-formal night. They called the portraits "Casual".

And you don't need to "participate" in formal night to go get your pictures taken on that night. There are usually MANY backdrops on formal night. You could just pick one and pop right on in line. The photog doesn't care what you are wearing. Your money is all that counts. ;)

Not only can you take professional photos with the backdrops but everytime you get off the ship at port they've got the photographers waiting for you at the end of the plank ready to take your photo. You'll have your picture taken so many times and you might want to buy all of them but it gets a little tough on the wallet after a while.

I have a few questions!

*Can anyone give me an idea of the prices they charge?

*And how/when/where do you get to review your portraits to decide what you want?

*Are they still available online so you can order once you get back home??

I'm cruising NCL.

THANKS for these tips!

:)

I have a few questions!

*Can anyone give me an idea of the prices they charge?

*And how/when/where do you get to review your portraits to decide what you want?

*Are they still available online so you can order once you get back home??

I'm cruising NCL.

THANKS for these tips!

:)

Things have changed on NCL since I cruised them. But generally on most cruiselines the 8x10's are usually (approx) $19.99 each. Then if they do a candid shot of you when you are getting on/off the ship then those are usually a smaller size and cost around $10.99 - $14.99.

Each ship has a photo area that display ALL of the pictures that are taken during the cruise. The pictures are usually available for purchase during certain times (always after dinner until late).

Once you step off the ship you cannot reorder the pictures.

On some ships (like some RCCL ships) they have kiosks that you can go to, enter your cruise card and you can see all of the pictures taken of you.

On the brink asked why you have to take off yor shoes - it's so you don't make any marks on the white back drop.

The pics on the Caribbean Princess were $25 and up as I recall. If you want the black and white shot, that was only once during the cruise, so pay attn to your Patter.

On the brink asked why you have to take off yor shoes - it's so you don't make any marks on the white back drop.

The pics on the Caribbean Princess were $25 and up as I recall. If you want the black and white shot, that was only once during the cruise, so pay attn to your Patter.

When we sailed on the Caribbean Princess last Oct (06), they were $21.99 for the 8x10's. We lucked out with the photographer who was doing the black and white photo's. She did a whole session with us, some of me and my husband, seperate ones of all of us (us & 2 sons) and then a family shot. She took some very formal poses and then some amazing candids of the kids. I bought over $300.00 worth of photo's but had we gone to a photographer at home, it would have cost me so much more. Your best bet is to go during a slow time, they are more apt to take more time.

Try and have the ships phtographer take as many pictures of you as they can, you are not obligated to buy and it is nice to have a variety to choose rom, and I hate never ebing in any of my families pictures because I am always the one taking them. Sometimes it is worth it to pay extra for that!

Have a great time

What I enjoyed about pictures onboard the Golden Princess was that we could have pictures each day, and then on the second to last day, I could choose my favorites from the bunch. So I LOVE every picture we brought home. $21-$25 was the price each and they had a free one it you purchased 5 or 6. (8 x10s)

They also had a special that if you purchase 2 candids that were the identical picture with a different border, you got a free scrapbook and a picture of the ship. My parents went with us, so this was easy to do. Candids were totally separate from the portraits in the specials.

If you don't want to go to the formal dinner or "dress up" I'm sure you could dress casually and use the backdrops available.

I check my photos out every night or two and take the ones that I might be interested in to the photo desk and ask them to hold them. The ones that are awful I just pitch in the "recycle" bin. Then I go back on the last night and look at all my pics and decide which I want, which I don't, and see if they have any specials. The only time I've lucked into a special was when we had an extended family cruise and bought all our pics together. They gave us a slight discount for buying so many.

Archived