Azamara Journey

minniemax

This ship has never been in Europe as the Journey, the cruiseline is only 9-10 months old so nobody has been on this cruise. We were on sistership in the western med (The R2, as they were named before the Rennaisance Cruiseline went bankrupt and their ships are now scattered...3 to Oceania, 3 to Princess and 2 to Azamara. I loved these ships then(2000 and again the R4 in 2001) Oceania's Nautica in 2006, and was on the Azamara Quest in Dec. They are still lovely, very intimate and we still liked them no matter which cruiseline operated them. They are small, at least in passengers (App.700) and everything about them is great for us.

This ship has never been in Europe as the Journey' date=' the cruiseline is only 9-10 months old so nobody has been on this cruise. We were on sistership in the western med (The R2, as they were named before the Rennaisance Cruiseline went bankrupt and their ships are now scattered...3 to Oceania, 3 to Princess and 2 to Azamara. I loved these ships then(2000 and again the R4 in 2001) Oceania's Nautica in 2006, and was on the Azamara Quest in Dec. They are still lovely, very intimate and we still liked them no matter which cruiseline operated them. They are small, at least in passengers (App.700) and everything about them is great for us.[/quote']

If I'm not mistaken, the Nautica was new to Oceania as the Quest was new to Azamara. Did you notice more "teething" or "issues" on one versus the other? Could you speak to us about the differences between the CRUISES and food on the the two lines.

I would like some guidance in choosing which line to try first, based NOT on itinerary, but the overall cruise experience.

If I'm not mistaken, the Nautica was new to Oceania as the Quest was new to Azamara. Did you notice more "teething" or "issues" on one versus the other? Could you speak to us about the differences between the CRUISES and food on the the two lines.

I would like some guidance in choosing which line to try first, based NOT on itinerary, but the overall cruise experience.

When we were on Nautica, it celebrated it's 1st "birthday", so it was not brand new anymore.

As to comparing the two lines...Oceania has been at it a few more years, and perhaps is no longer "teething" but they still have a few problems, shore excursions being overpriced and not as good as lesser priced private ones, that seems to be the same. They get the idea that if you can afford to go on these ships they can charge anything and you'll pay. But many of us chose private.

FOOD. I mentioned in previous posts that Cruise Critic people seems obsessed with food..I took nary a one photo of the Food on Azamara. Presentation was everything...it all looked lovely which IS important, but only if the TASTE is there too. I would say "O" had a slight edge here, Azamara is trying too hard to get more exotic, unusual dishes that really don't Click. Lobster 4 ways for example. None of the 4 ways were excptional, some were ...well! They served a lovely dessert tray that impressed everyone with small portions of 4 desserts one evening..one of which was lovely parfit in a tiny cone fit into a holder...but to EAT it you ended up using the handle of your spoon, as spoons didn't fit in the glass. O isn't into such showy stuff, but it was all wonderfully, elegantly presented and tasted GREAT. The main dining room was more consistant in it's quality, Aza. had great food... sometimes.. even most times, but some not so great.Buffet was good on both..I felt the specialty rest. all rave about are overated. Service is everything there, both were very good servicewise.

We were in Concierge on Nautica (A great upgrade from an inside for $200pp) but had only an attendant and assistant, I have to say on Quest the attendants were more geared to personal service (They were there to open our room any time they saw us coming) Our attendant on Nautica wasn't nearly as personal, and others on Quest got true butler service from their butlers..serving meals with white tablecloths etc., in reg. cabins. We didn't wish that service and weren't bothered with offers of Tea etc.. "O" doesn't offer tea in cabins except to Suites, "A" delivers to all cabins, and your attendants see to it.

Crew were more friendly on both than most cruiselines, and the Azamara ones are from EVERYWHERE, most of "O"'s are European. The officers etc were far more accessable on Quest, would chat with you any time you wished, answer your questions, not only at a 'meet & Mingle but anywhere you'd meet them. Things were changed for passengers, as they are still learning and we were helping them.

Cabins are identical of course, except newly added Sky Suites on Quest. We found that deck 8 was a bit more rolling than lower decks. Ports on Nautica were exceptional, but that was the reason we took that cruise from Rome to Istanbul and all classical/historical ports between. The Panama Canal one on Quest hit some not quite interesting ports, but St Marta Colombia can't compare with Athens, each had it's own memory (not good in St Marta!), so you can't compare the Ports. Both ships tend to the smaller ones as I mentioned..Tunisia was one on Nautica we could forget easily! Both need to have more & better entertainment..O ahead on this but not by much, lectures again a slight edge to O but both needed more. Perhaps starting so late in the season curtailed Azamara's ability to get good performers?? No pool games etc. (Thank God) little nightlife on either ship, if you're not into tours you will still appreciate the FOOD, but not the evenings.:rolleyes:

"This ship has never been in Europe as the Journey,"

Hi Nancy,

You're correct, the Journey hasn't been in Europe as the Journey,

but it has been in Europe as the R6.

My girlfriend will be back soon from the 1/19 PCanal cruise on Quest, so I'll be interested to hear about it.

As far as I know she opted to take only ship's excursions.

I didn't take food photos either, but someone sent me the New Year's Eve buffet pix.

Like you, I was more interested in taste...

Darn, I didn't think of using the spoon handle to dig out the chocolate

from that cone shaped glass!

It's funny about the "butler" controversy.

Our butler was Fasio. Some spell it Vasio. There was a little card posted next to the desk with his name printed on it, "Fasio."

Anyway, we found that he performed duties as a butler would.

His assistant made up the bed, did the bathroom and cleaned the room.

Fasio ran errands, brought canapes, fruit and solved any small problem we asked about. Seems like a butler to me.

Well, we do have some great memories: Caroling; our singing waiter, Gustavo;

and who can forget Milk is the New Oil. LOL

Then there was the pothole highway. :D

A lot of laughs.

Laura

We were on an 18-day cruise on Azamara Journey - South America (Dec 23, 2007 to Jan 10, 2008) - a terrific experience.

I wrote at some depth, reporting on our experience.

Link to:

> http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=683263

We would gladly sail the Journey again - anytime - :cool:

Cheers, WWB

More photos at: http://www.wwb.ca/gallery

Laura

You are right WHO could forget the potholes...wonder if Nicaragua is buying up those milkcows as we speak... Caroling made our holiday a bit more like "Home"

Have to admit Mike thought of using the handle of the spoon (iced tea spoon, as the others didn't work!) Don't try to keep him from every bite of the dessert!! You know what...Right after we returned I mentioned to Mike...Hey it's really odd trying to think of not "What do we want to eat..." but what should I make for dinner??? I almost forgot how to cook! Could get used to being served daily!..Hourly???

You know those Chicago postoffices must be really slow, as Carol just got her pkg. yesterday, whereas you did a week ago ! Glad it didn't get lost

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to know if there is a bathrobe in the stateroom with veranda?

Thank you for helping me

Hi Smallturtle !

Yes there are 2 bathrobes in your stateroom. Enjoy your Cruise !

Archived