Vancouver Cab Problem - Cancel Cruise???

There's a big problem in Vancouver with a shortage of cabs. I've read that the long lines for cabs at Ballantyne are 1-1/2 to 3 hours long.

After the ship arrives at Ballantyne, I will have to make it to the train station by 12 noon. There I'll take an Amtrak bus to Seattle, which will arrive just in time to catch the train to Chicago. The Amtrak ticket price includes transportation from Vancouver to Seattle.

I'm so nervous about this that I'm very seriously considering canceling my cruise. I don't want to spend 7 days on the ship worrying about making it to the train station on time.

Aside from the long wait for a cab, I've read that if it's a short run, the cab driver won't even take you and it's only 1.4 miles to the train station. Due to health problems, I won't be able to walk to the station.

I'm a solo traveler, which means that the cruise price for me is almost as much as it is for two people. A hotel is the same price for one person as it is for two people, ditto with a cab, and I'm shouldering the expense alone. I'm really stretched on the budget and can't handle one more dollar, so staying another night in Vancouver is not an option.

Although I doubt that it would happen, I don't even want to think about the possibility of the ship arriving later than scheduled in Vancouver.

What I need is absolute assurance that I can get to the train station on time.

I feel everything is pretty well stacked against me. Well, dear board participants, what would you do if you were in my situation?

Betty

Some cruise lines (Celebrity for example) disembark passengers in priority based on their travel arrangements after their cruise - my suggestion would be to call the cruiseline to find out their policy. Perhaps the cruiseline offers a transfer service to the train station that is set to leave at a certain time to offer peace of mind???

As for taxis wanting larger fares - this happened to me in Miami - driver was upset I was "only" going to hotel across the causeway - he wanted fare to airport - unfortunately I pretty much had to tip him $10 extra for his "loss" - not that I had to but it was a bit unpleasant.

Aside from that, I think you have enough time.

Aside from the long wait for a cab, I've read that if it's a short run, the cab driver won't even take you and it's only 1.4 miles to the train station. Due to health problems, I won't be able to walk to the station.

So, find someone else at the cab lineup going to the train station! Offer to pay for the cab (it'll be $10 tops) if you can ride with them, and you'll be among the 1st out of the cruise ship terminal.

Cab drivers are obliged to take you, or you can have their license pulled. If they make an issue about it, call the number on the outside of the cab.

Vancouver has recently increased the number of allowed cabs in the City by over a 100 and more will be added over the next few years - taxi usage downtown is very widespread because so many people live in the core and don't own a car - most trips are fairly short - just when are you traveling - if it is mid week it will be less of a problem - there is another option that might work for you especially if you haven't purchased your bus ticket from Amtrak - that is to use the quick shuttle service from the port to Seattle and then a quick taxi to the Amtrak station - bookmark this site: http://www.quickcoach.com - they should start showing their cruise service shortly - it runs direct from the pier to downtown Seattle as early as 9AM and gets into Seattle in plenty of time to get to the train station which is only a short distance away. You could email them and see if they can help you.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers

Dennis

I have bookmarked the Quickcoach website, however, at this time they show that there is no service scheduled for the date my ship arrives at Ballantyne. Does that mean that will not not be service or simply that they have not yet set up their schedule???

As far as finding someone in the cab lineup to share a cab with - that sounds like finding a needle in a haystack as most people will be either flying or renting a car. I don't feel that's feasible.

Any other ideas?

They haven't set up the schedule yet for the cruise season but it does exist as I have use it to get to the Seattle Pier 66 or back on at least two occasions.

You might want to try their toll free # at 800-665-2122.

Hope this helps some more

Cheers

Dennis

What I need is absolute assurance that I can get to the train station on time.

Betty

If I were in your situation I'd try for a different type of vacation. Unfortunately with cruising, there are no "absolutes" or guarantees ... oftentimes ships can and do come into port late, clear customs late, cabs are lacking in abundance, etc....

Rather than worry yourself to death over this, I'd suggest stay an extra night in Vancouver or perhaps try a different type of vacation, where you might be in more control of the scheduling.

Various emergencies can and do happen on ships which can delay arrival, and they will not 'guarantee' too much.

There is also much construction and roadwork happening in Vancouver which could delay your departure.

Are you trying to be unrealistic and panic on purpose? A lot of people take the train to Seattle. You walk down the line asking "anyone else to the train station?" and see if they want to share. As for other services, it's too easy in the season for some schedules to be out.

My guess... cruising just isn't for you. There are just too many ways that things can go wrong, port arrival and departures go wrong as well. And airlines have weather and mechanical delays. You need to either be able to go with the flow or you will worry yourself to death. If you are worried you take control by leaving a day earlier and returning a day later or by just going with the flow and letting things take the course that they will. If you can't, I can suggest that you try vacations in "balconville" (ie sitting on your balcony at home.) There are no certainties otherwise.

I have bookmarked the Quickcoach website, however, at this time they show that there is no service scheduled for the date my ship arrives at Ballantyne. Does that mean that will not not be service or simply that they have not yet set up their schedule???

As far as finding someone in the cab lineup to share a cab with - that sounds like finding a needle in a haystack as most people will be either flying or renting a car. I don't feel that's feasible.

Any other ideas?

I would stop worring if I was you - you say you only need to be at the Amtrak Station (Which in Vancouver is the Via Rail Station) for 12 noon. YOu have lots of time. You will be off the ship and out at the latest by 10 and more likely by 9am and the Station is only about a 10 min cab ride away. Cabs are not that hard to get in Vancouver and the Ballentyne Pier is less congested than Canada Place - however another option for you is to pre-book a limo and then it will be there waiting just for you. And while you are on the ship or right on this roll call try to find someone to share the limo with you to cut the cost. Limos are not as expensive as you might think. When I get home I can look up some limo sites for you but in the mean time try just "Goggling" it.

Ephraim, if I was panicing and being unrealistic, I wouldn't be looking for solutions far in advance of the cruise date. Going with the flow is easy with unlimited funds. With very limited funds, one has to consider every eventuality. Obviously, you aren't in this situation.

My question to you is - have you ever had to wait outside Ballantyne to get a cab to go to the train station by noon? If not, perhaps you should reserve judgement.

I'm hoping that your post will not deter others from offering helpful suggestions.

Which cruise line are you going on?

My suggestions are:

- call cruiseline to determine if debarkation is based on departure plans/times (like Celebrity)

- post your specific question about getting a cab to train station on other boards also ie. RCL to try to get answer by someone that was in your situation.

- join a roll call for your cruise and maybe you can make aquaintance with somebody going to the train station and arrange to go together in a reserved limo.

- call the Port of Vancouver customer service line at 1-888-PORTVAN and ask them about wait times for taxis.

- determine how many cruise ships are arriving that day in Vancouver. There most likely will be waiting when 4 are in port - check schedule at http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php?

I still think you have enough time if there are 1 or 2 ships in.

Best option - reserve a limo so there is no worry during trip.

Actually I checked your posts and see you are on Mercury - on that day in port in addition to Mercury's pax of 2,209 is NCL Sun at 2,400 and Volendam at 1,440 for a total of 6,049 passengers. At these numbers last year the port authority advised having contingency plans for transportation - however that was before the new taxi licences were issued.

Ephraim, if I was panicing and being unrealistic, I wouldn't be looking for solutions far in advance of the cruise date. Going with the flow is easy with unlimited funds. With very limited funds, one has to consider every eventuality. Obviously, you aren't in this situation.

My question to you is - have you ever had to wait outside Ballantyne to get a cab to go to the train station by noon? If not, perhaps you should reserve judgement.

I'm hoping that your post will not deter others from offering helpful suggestions.

I don't have "unlimited" funds. In fact, I'm a budget traveller and I have had to deal with these kind of things myself, including a ship that arrived a day late entirely and being stranded in Chicago by United Airlines. I am just reacting to your comment about you being the only person who has to go to the train station. There are a lot of people who need to go to that train station. It's quite popular to take the train to/from Seattle because of the overcrowded US border crossings. I've had to deal with walking through the lines and asking if anyone wants to share.

A few months ago my entire ship was delayed about an hour getting off in Los Angeles. And I have been delayed two hours because US CBP wasn't in place to clear foreign visitors in New York City.

I was in exactly the same sort of situation a few times. I just don't panic about it. I just plan the best that I can and leave it at that. I can't be bothered to worry about things that haven't happened.

You are discounting the helpful advice that others are giving you and now you have found a scapegoat in me. Either you are open to hearing what people are saying or not. Your comment suggests... you aren't and to that, I reacted.

Thanks for the suggestions, Acey. Hearing that the Port Authority has, in the past, recommended contingency transportation plans enforces the fact that I need to fine tune my plans if I'm to take this cruise.

Urban Trekker recommended QuickCoach. I'll be watching their website closely as they begin to post their schedules.

Betty

One more option, depending on your comfort level, is to join to www.couchsurfing.com

It's a community of like minded individuals where you can arrange with a friendly host to stay free of charge at someone's home in Vancouver. It's a great way to make new friends and great for budget travellers.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Urban Trekker recommended QuickCoach. I'll be watching their website closely as they begin to post their schedules.

Betty

From what I have read here, QuickCoach can be anything BUT quick if there are border crossing delays. I would stick with your plans to take the train to Seattle.

There are cruiselines that don't charge double for single occupancy, and HAL is one of them. You have time to change ships if you find a better price elsewhere.

"From what I have read here, QuickCoach can be anything BUT quick if there are border crossing delays. I would stick with your plans to take the train to Seattle".

Nancy - the train to Seattle doesn't leave until the evening and Betty needs to be in Seattle mid afternoon to connect with the Empire Builder to Chicago so she must take a bus to get to the Amtrak station in Seattle - every time I have taken the train/bus or Quick Shuttle to Seattle I have arrived on time or even early - the border has a separate area to handle the buses - I have also noticed when I took the bus from the Canada Place we were processed faster than when I took the train bus - with the train bus you never know who will be on it - whether their visas etc will be in place - coming off of a cruise ship it is expected that things will be in order.

Betty - if i get a moment I will phone Quick shuttle here and see if I can get any further information for you.

Sailing up the inside passage and into the Alaska ports is a marvelous journey - have done the trip twice and if the right deal comes about would do it again.

Cheers

Dennis

"From what I have read here, QuickCoach can be anything BUT quick if there are border crossing delays. I would stick with your plans to take the train to Seattle".

Nancy - the train to Seattle doesn't leave until the evening and Betty needs to be in Seattle mid afternoon to connect with the Empire Builder to Chicago so she must take a bus to get to the Amtrak station in Seattle - every time I have taken the train/bus or Quick Shuttle to Seattle I have arrived on time or even early - the border has a separate area to handle the buses - I have also noticed when I took the bus from the Canada Place we were processed faster than when I took the train bus - with the train bus you never know who will be on it - whether their visas etc will be in place - coming off of a cruise ship it is expected that things will be in order.

Oops...I overlooked the Amtrak via bus to Seattle part!

Betty - I'm curious as to why you are taking the train rather than flying. I just looked at Amtrak's schedule between Chicago and Seattle, and it takes ~45 hours each way (2 overnights on the train). :eek: The roundtrip senior fare is $243.10 to Seattle, and to that you would add the connection to and from Vancouver, meals, and maybe a sleeping berth. I could see doing this if you wanted a scenic journey across the US, but it wouldn't be my choice if I were on a tight budget. I'll take a 4.5-hour flight to Seattle any day over that much time on a train.

Perhaps for the same reason that I have taken this Amtrak trip - I WON'T FLY!!!

If you think this is a long trip add on a couple more days to NYC or Miami - yes it is not cheap if you take a sleeper.

Betty - are you aware that there might be an Amtrak discount for those on NCL cruises - last year it was 25% off of the trip including the sleepers - as long as the each train segments has at least one NCL Port the discount will apply - that is Chicago to Seattle - Seattle is the NCL port - doesn't matter that the cruise is from Vancouver. I might be able to find a link to it looking back over the posts on my Dawn Repo trip but there were over 5000 posts so try NCL or your TA to see if they can help you.

Cheers

Dennis.

I'm like Dennis-I won't fly. I hate being shoulder to shoulder in a small space without any wiggle room. I flew two years ago - my first flight in 10 years. In addition to being in such tight quarters, I was amazed that nobody talked to anyone else. Amtrak has a passenger base of friendly people who make the trip very enjoyable and you travel without feeling like you're trapped inside a sardine can. Nancy, I think you would like it as you certainly seem to meet the qualifications as a friendly person.

Dennis, I wanted this particular cruise because my sister and her husband will be on it and I thought it would be nice to spend time with them, in addition to visiting Alaska again. Were you able to reach Quick shuttle?

I'm like Dennis-I won't fly. I hate being shoulder to shoulder in a small space without any wiggle room. I flew two years ago - my first flight in 10 years. In addition to being in such tight quarters, I was amazed that nobody talked to anyone else. Amtrak has a passenger base of friendly people who make the trip very enjoyable and you travel without feeling like you're trapped inside a sardine can. Nancy, I think you would like it as you certainly seem to meet the qualifications as a friendly person.

Now I understand. I'm not fond of long flights or connecting flights, but I usually like getting to my destination sooner rather than later, unless the mode of transport is a journey in itself. We took 3 planes each way when we flew to Vancouver and home from Anchorage last summer for our Alaska trip, and I have it down to only 2 flights each way in 2008!

BCHappyGal mentioned arranging for a limo service to pick you up at Ballantyne Pier, and I think that's a good idea. However you get from the ship in Vancouver to the Seattle Amtrak station, I hope you'll feel confident enough about it that you can enjoy your cruise.

If I weren't so cheap, I might enjoy a cross-country train trip if I had a sleeper car. A rail trip I would love to take some day is the one that goes through the Canadian Rockies on it's way to and from Vancouver.

There's a big problem in Vancouver with a shortage of cabs. I've read that the long lines for cabs at Ballantyne are 1-1/2 to 3 hours long.

Betty;

not to worry about your taxicab http://www.taxirights.gov.bc.ca/

Thanks, Giblert. The Taxi Bill of Rights looks good on paper, but also points out that some taxis are limited as to where they're allowed to pick up, among other things.

Nancy, I though about that cross-Canada train trip as a possibility if this cruise doesn't work out. I've heard it's a beautiful trip.

What I'm hoping for is the QuickCoach picking up passengers right at Ballantyne. I'll keep checking their schedule. I believe that would be the solution I'm looking for.

I have checked the viarail site and also called and requested their schedules be mailed to me. They sent me a magazine, but no schedules. What did you particularly like about it? It sounds fascinating.

Regarding the QuickShuttle, their website doesn't allow making a reservation beyond April. I just have to patiently wait for them to post their new one. I still think this will be the solution for me and I'll still be able to take the cruise. I hope!

Archived