Kids in cabin next door

calenita

We are a family of five - with 3 children, DD 13, DS11 and DS 7. We booked our cruise through Travelocity. We booked two inside rooms, side by side but adjoining was not available in the category we chose. The agent said we had to have one adult in each room, so they have the girls in one room and the guys in another. We are going to have the kids in one room when we are onboard and DH and I in another room. Do we tell the steward we are having the kids on their own or just tell him/her how we want the beds done? I was thinking with bed configurations and all we really want a double in the one room and the three singles in the other.

According to the cruise docs the kids can't be in the room by themselves, but it seems a bit nuts to me.

Thanks

We are a family of five - with 3 children, DD 13, DS11 and DS 7. We booked our cruise through Travelocity. We booked two inside rooms, side by side but adjoining was not available in the category we chose. The agent said we had to have one adult in each room, so they have the girls in one room and the guys in another. We are going to have the kids in one room when we are onboard and DH and I in another room. Do we tell the steward we are having the kids on their own or just tell him/her how we want the beds done? I was thinking with bed configurations and all we really want a double in the one room and the three singles in the other.

According to the cruise docs the kids can't be in the room by themselves, but it seems a bit nuts to me.

Thanks

Tell your cabin steward how you want the beds set , and leave it at that..

Generally they will let you book the kids if they are in the next room. The way are doing it is fine, you can have the rooms set up when you get there and you can get extra keys to the rooms since 2 of you will not have the correct key. You need to keep your key as it is your pass on and off the boat as well.

Generally they will let you book the kids if they are in the next room. The way are doing it is fine, you can have the rooms set up when you get there and you can get extra keys to the rooms since 2 of you will not have the correct key. You need to keep your key as it is your pass on and off the boat as well.

Has anyone done this? Do they "check"? Do they care?

No they dont check and no they dont care. You do have to book it with an adult in each, but after that they are covered " legaly ". And I know the room steward wont care.

Frankly Im surprised some one here " on the boards " hasnt chastisted the OP for even thinking such a thing.

But its early ....

Has anyone done this? Do they "check"? Do they care?

I've done it. They don't check and they don't care. :)

The only problem is that two of you will have to carry two keycards - one which is your sea pass for charging things (which opens the wrong cabin) and one pass key (for the cabin you're actually staying in) which can't be used for charging. I hope that made sense. :o

I don't want to open a can or worms here but . . . .

What about fares? If you book an adult and a 11-year-old in a room, doesn't the 11-year-old get charged the full fare since cabins are priced at double adult occupancy?

Sea Hound:D

I don't want to open a can or worms here but . . . .

What about fares? If you book an adult and a 11-year-old in a room, doesn't the 11-year-old get charged the full fare since cabins are priced at double adult occupancy?

Sea Hound:D

Yes, but...

I don't think NCL discounts for kids (except for tipping, which is half price).

It turned out that the for my cruise, the price of having my kids in our BA Balcony cabin as 3rd and 4th guests was only $60/kid less than booking an additional II inside cabin. For $120, the extra space and bathroom made it a no brainer.

Calenita,

We've done this same type of arrangement the past two years and it worked out fine. Our DDs are 12 and 14 and we've never had any problems. We did tell our steward about the sleeping arrangements and slipped him a $20 tip at the beginning of the cruise. We had a feeling that he might be called upon to open a cabin door now and then for one of our kids (which he did), and despite my nagging, they left their cabin a bit messy (clothes on the floor, etc.) so we wanted him to know how much we appreciated his extra efforts. We kept a close eye on them, but it was nice to know that our steward was aware of the situation in case they got locked out.

We just got off the Spirit. We booked one adult in each room, and although it was a pain, we kept it that way. My oldest just turned 12, and one night we did have her "babysit" her sisters, but with my youngest only 7 (and the 12 year old a heavy sleeper), I just wasn't comfortable leaving all three girls in a room themselves, even though I would be next door.

However, when we were doing embarkation, I got the impression that they were going to give us an extra key to the room, thinking we would have the kids in one, and us in another. I really don't think they care, you just have to do what you are comfortable with.

i got lucky to get adjoining cabins for our next cruise, otherwise i wouldn't leave the kids alone. but that's just because my dd isn't a very responsible 12 year old. i think for well-behaved, mature kids it won't be a problem.

Thanks all for the good answers! Feel very good about just asking the steward to arrange our beds like we want and take it from there.

Our 13-year-old is VERY responsible and we will be right next door, so I am comfortable with them in their own cabin. Plus, she isn't complaining about being with her brothers, so that is a bonus!

For a family of five things are more complicated because occupancy is usually four to a room. FYI our 7-year-old, who was the 3rd occupant in one of the cabins was $199 for a nine-night cruise. Our other children - 2nd passengers in each room were the same fare we paid as adults.

Pricing and who goes in what room does not matter. There is no adult price and kids price, the first to in a room are full price. We usually book the 3 kids in one room and pay full price for 2 of them. The world for a family of 5 is alot more than the family of 4 that can fit into 1 room.

Ten years ago we had to book an adult in each room but never have had to do that since.

All the major cruise lines require you to list one adult of legal age in each cabin, however, you are not required to sleep in said cabin. We are also a family of five and have done two cabins as long as the kids have been cruising. This started when they were 14, 12 and 8. The only problem we ever had was when we got balcony rooms next door to each other and, well, suffice to say, our youngest, then 10 yo, decided to give his mother a near heart attack (one of those stories I cannot bear to even think about to this day! I'm sure you can use your imagination to figure out what he tried and succeeded in doing!:eek: ). If you like having a balcony, get them an inside across the hall.

We did the same thing over New Year's week for the 5 of us. We had a balcony cabin and an inside directly across the hall. To book, dh was with 2 of our children in the inside, and I was with our son in the balcony. We just got our son a room key only for the inside and dh a room key only for the balcony. Our kids are 14, 12 and 9, and they were fine and loved having their own cabin. We do it in hotels, too.

Archived