Serenade of the Seas

snow1525

Side makes absolutely no difference. There's no way to tell which pier or which direction the ship will dock. There are glorious views on either side of the ship! And if you can't see what you want from your balcony, go to the upper decks where the view is 360 degrees!

If you are doing the sailing that has the sea day as the last day then you definitely want a starboard cabin. When we were on her the captian sailed very close to several islands on our last day at sea and we had wonderful views of Montserrat, Saba, & other islands almost all day. We found that it didn't really matter to us when we were docked in port each day which side of the ship we were on, but that last day really made the difference! Our favorite cruise so far :)

Flip a coin on that route! If you want a chance to see Monserrat IF she is spewing lava, you will need to be on the starboard side.

My only suggestion is to book one of the cabins that are in the section that juts out in the front or the back of the ship. These cabins are the ones that do NOT overlook the covering over the life boats. Also, Deck 7 has bigger balconies. (Wish I'd figured that one out before we were lucky enough to have a balcony on the Serenade.)

Have fun figuring this one out!

If you are doing the sailing that has the sea day as the last day then you definitely want a starboard cabin. When we were on her the captian sailed very close to several islands on our last day at sea and we had wonderful views of Montserrat, Saba, & other islands almost all day. We found that it didn't really matter to us when we were docked in port each day which side of the ship we were on, but that last day really made the difference! Our favorite cruise so far :)

Littlebrookfarm, I am sorry to tell you that the ship doesn't go up to those islands any more, and I here she doesn't even do the Piton Pivot. :( I guess the fuel crisis is the reason for missing the islands, and safety is the reason for the loss of the Pivot. I am glad we got to see those islands on our first Serenade cruise, because we didn't on our 2nd.

We just returned from Serenade from the 1/12 cruise. Had port side #1064. In St Thomas in port you face the island, in St Maarten you get a lovely view of the commercial side. The other islands do not matter which side, in port. One nice thing is when you leave St Lucia you get the view of the Pitons. Captain did not make a 360, but it was also at dusk. I would think a little better view later in the Spring, and maybe a 360 if since it will be daylight a little longer in March and April . You will have great sunsets leaving the ports if you are on starboard, though.

Littlebrookfarm, I am sorry to tell you that the ship doesn't go up to those islands any more, and I here she doesn't even do the Piton Pivot. :( I guess the fuel crisis is the reason for missing the islands, and safety is the reason for the loss of the Pivot. I am glad we got to see those islands on our first Serenade cruise, because we didn't on our 2nd.

Wow - that's too bad because the Piton pivot was incredible and the views that last day were priceless. Guess I'm glad we sailed that itinerary when we did! Thanks for the info!

If you can't decide on Port or Starboard, why not try an aft balcony? We had 7174 on the Serenade and it was incredible. If you wanna see pics click down below on my webshots link and once you're there check out the Serenade album. There's quite a few pics of the balcony scattered throughout the album. Good luck!

Laura

We just returned from Serenade from the 1/12 cruise. Had port side #1064. In St Thomas in port you face the island, in St Maarten you get a lovely view of the commercial side. The other islands do not matter which side, in port. One nice thing is when you leave St Lucia you get the view of the Pitons. Captain did not make a 360, but it was also at dusk. I would think a little better view later in the Spring, and maybe a 360 if since it will be daylight a little longer in March and April . You will have great sunsets leaving the ports if you are on starboard, though.

Pumkinsmom, do you happen to recall the evening dress code during your voyage? I've heard that there were 2 formal nights but more casual nights than usual than on the normal 7 night cruise and wondered if you could confirm this? Thanks!

Pumkinsmom, do you happen to recall the evening dress code during your voyage? I've heard that there were 2 formal nights but more casual nights than usual than on the normal 7 night cruise and wondered if you could confirm this? Thanks!

We were on the 1/5 sailing. There were 2 formal nights (St Thomas and Barbados), and one listed as smart casual, but it was really no different than any other casual night.

Regarding the Pivot, Maritza (the concierge) told me that you can never really tell if this current captain is going to do it or not. Didn't on our voyage (we were a little late leaving port, waiting for some stragglers, and the weather was rainy), and I haven't heard of anyone else having done it recently, though, so who knows.

If you can snag the aft, I'd do it. Great views of the islands leaving port at the end of the day, and it's great to sit out there and watch the wake. Not to mention the size of those balconies!

We were on the 1/5 sailing. There were 2 formal nights (St Thomas and Barbados), and one listed as smart casual, but it was really no different than any other casual night.

Regarding the Pivot, Maritza (the concierge) told me that you can never really tell if this current captain is going to do it or not. Didn't on our voyage (we were a little late leaving port, waiting for some stragglers, and the weather was rainy), and I haven't heard of anyone else having done it recently, though, so who knows.

If you can snag the aft, I'd do it. Great views of the islands leaving port at the end of the day, and it's great to sit out there and watch the wake. Not to mention the size of those balconies!

Thanks, Jodi. I appreciate your comments! I am hoping we do have a pivot and I have an aft cabin so it's all beginning to look good..... can't wait! :)

Just back from the 1/26 sailing. No Piton Pivot but the Captain did slow to a crawl (almost stopped actually) after leaving St Lucia very fast so he could linger before the sunset and everyone had a chance to see the Pitons up close (or as close as he was going to get). My guess is that as the sun sets later they may do the pivot (not sure but maybe).

The Cruise was good and either side of the ship would be OK. Avoid 1574 (and I would assume rooms close by) as we heard chairs being moved in the Windjammer at closing (9:30 - 10 pm) and upon setting up in the morning (6 am). Not real annoying but you can hear it. Others on deck 10 complained of the music on deck 11 blaring until 12:30 - 1 am. So if you are sensitive to noise or retire earlier you may want to look at deck 9 and below.

phrankbama - just off the 1/26 sailing and here are my thoughts. We were a group of ten adults so somewhat similar as far as travel logistics go.

St. Thomas - did the Paradise Point tram (walkable from ship) and hopping into a cab to go to Sapphire Beach. I must say that we liked Coki beach better (calmer and better snorkeling) however Sapphire was beautiful. Some in our group did the BOSS (underwater motorcycle type thing) and loved it.

St. Martin - Orient Beach

Antigua - we did Darkwood Beach, again beautiful beach too churned up for good snorkeling.

St. Lucia - see it by sea. We chartered a fishing boat through Hackshaws and did whatever we felt like.

Barbados - Silvermoon Catamaran - class operation all the way.

As you can see we're basically beach bums - any questions, ask away.

w8ting,

great suggestions. Love to keep this thread going. Would like some pictures of the "hump" cabins on the serenade if anyone has them.

What about recom for adventurous excursions. We already are thinking Eli's tour and Coscol. Any ideas for the others ports???

Where should we parasail???

phrankbama - just off the 1/26 sailing and here are my thoughts. We were a group of ten adults so somewhat similar as far as travel logistics go.

St. Thomas - did the Paradise Point tram (walkable from ship) and hopping into a cab to go to Sapphire Beach. I must say that we liked Coki beach better (calmer and better snorkeling) however Sapphire was beautiful. Some in our group did the BOSS (underwater motorcycle type thing) and loved it.

St. Martin - Orient Beach

Antigua - we did Darkwood Beach, again beautiful beach too churned up for good snorkeling.

St. Lucia - see it by sea. We chartered a fishing boat through Hackshaws and did whatever we felt like.

Barbados - Silvermoon Catamaran - class operation all the way.

As you can see we're basically beach bums - any questions, ask away.

Hey, W8ing, I was in Antigua 3 years ago...a cab took us by some farms and such to a very quiet (we were the first couple there) beach with one little lunch shack (that rented beach chairs) and pretty much nothing else. There was choppy surf there, and some bluffs nearby. Does this sound like Darkwood Beach? I'd really like to visit this same place again.

Hey, W8ing, I was in Antigua 3 years ago...a cab took us by some farms and such to a very quiet (we were the first couple there) beach with one little lunch shack (that rented beach chairs) and pretty much nothing else. There was choppy surf there, and some bluffs nearby. Does this sound like Darkwood Beach? I'd really like to visit this same place again.

This beach sounds fantastic...I sure hope someone can tell where exactly this beach is located on the island....I too want to go there when I go on the Serenade of the Seas on the November 29th cruise.

THanks for all input on activities we should take on the Southern Caribbean run...also shopping tips and the best souveniors to bring from the Caribbean islands we are visiting. I have been researching the best coffee and hot sauces to bring back and also the best stores on each island that I would like. All suggestions are appreciated. Also, the best tour guides that people have taken are really something I need to learn more about...! THanks everyone! Yes, let's keep this thread going to become the resource of info we all want to learn more about dealing with the Serenade and also with the Southern Caribbean route of travel.

Have a good week everyone!

CincinnatiGal:)

We're out on Serenade this March. Waiting on the docs right now! Haven't been on a Radiance class ship yet. We're excited about a couple of the amenities that are unique to it, even though we've been on the larger ships.

If you can't decide on Port or Starboard, why not try an aft balcony? We had 7174 on the Serenade and it was incredible. If you wanna see pics click down below on my webshots link and once you're there check out the Serenade album. There's quite a few pics of the balcony scattered throughout the album. Good luck!

Laura

Btw, Laura--congrats on your wedding in Aruba. Pics looked great.

Serenade is wonderful! What cabins are you considering? Click on the link in my signature for pictures of the ship.

I really enjoyed your Alaska pics on the Serenade! My mother and I are taking her there in July 2008. Even though this will be our 3rd time to Alaska, I know it won't be our last! :D Your pics brought back great memories, so thanks again!

Archived