Pacific Sun at Isle of Pines????

LouLou28

Cyclone Gene hits Fiji, heads for Vanuatu

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:15am AEDT

Fiji has been hit by major flooding and power cuts after a cyclone moved across the main islands.

Cyclone Gene battered the main islands of Viti Levu and Vanua Levu overnight, bringing down power lines and destroying at least 30 homes.

Two people were electrocuted by fallen power lines and 200,000 people are without power.

The Disaster Management Office says the Prime Minister and cabinet are being briefed.

The cyclone is now slowly moving towards Vanuatu.

CRUISING ALONG:)

Could be the same reason why the Dawn is in Noumea today when it shouldn't hit port until Wala tomorrow.

Good to see P&O monitoring the weather and diverting for better conditions.:)

Ian

(Karen you beat me to the post:))

Hi there,

the last report I heard was cyclone Gene was heading toward Vanuatu, (that would stop any ships from heading to Vila.)

many years ago we had to shelter behind some islands in New Caledonia

until a cyclone passed. .. quite scary ..

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Hi cruising along i noticed you have been on the Fairstar in 91,i sailed on her that year too.can't remember the date.They had a band called "1928" as the main feature and we went to Fiji and Vanuatu. Are you going to the Fairstar reunion in Sydney on 1st March? After all those trips you must have lots of stories to tell. Cheers Brenda

Hi cruising along i noticed you have been on the Fairstar in 91,i sailed on her that year too.can't remember the date.They had a band called "1928" as the main feature and we went to Fiji and Vanuatu. Are you going to the Fairstar reunion in Sydney on 1st March? After all those trips you must have lots of stories to tell. Cheers Brenda

Would the band been 1927??? A wonderful Australian band of the '80s and '90s???

Hi cruising along I noticed you have been on the Fairstar in 91,i sailed on her that year too.can't remember the date.They had a band called "1928" as the main feature and we went to Fiji and Vanuatu. Are you going to the Fairstar reunion in Sydney on 1st March? After all those trips you must have lots of stories to tell. Cheers Brenda

Hi Past it (Brenda)

No unfortunately we wont be able to make it to the Fairstar reunion.

Our cruise was the 28th March to 7th April 1991. Easter school Holidays. We had 4 ports Vila, Mystery Island, Noumea and Amedee island. Although as the seas were a little choppy the day we were at Amedee island a decision was made to stop passengers boarding the tenders. So we missed out that time.

Mystery Island was great. Not quite like it is these days. They had a shore tour this particular cruise to go in a 8 seater plane over Tanna Island volcano and over the neighbouring islands. They were having a football match on the airstrip and every time the 8 seater plane landed or took off the match was suspended. It was definitely an experience we will never forget.

The Captain was Robert Baker.

I think one of my favourite things about the Fairstar was it had a promenade deck.

Yes there were plenty of good times had on the TSS Fairstar.

Enjoy the reunion. I'm sure there will be a big turn out on the day.

regards

CRUISING ALONG:)

Hey everyone

well returned from our cruise this morning, so will give you a lil info on the pacific sun route changes....

well we were following the cyclone from noumea to lifou and when we got to lifou it changed directions and was heading back towards Vila so we had to do a U-Turn and head back to Isle of pines... and that night (tues) we has really bad seas at about 3am which woke me up and couldnt get back to sleep...

was a lil dissapointed that we didnt get to Vila as it meant we had to do all our duty free shopping on board the ship, but isle of pines was beautiful!

Archived