Scooter Travel around Island?

Crystynatheone

:confused: Hi Everyone!
My questions are many. First of all there are several ships in port the day we arive in Cozumel, so I want to get away from the crowds. I just received the Can-Do Travel Guide Map in the mail and have been reading it word for word. It looks like you can rent a scooter and cross the island to get to some pretty decent restaurants and beaches. The guide also says to be careful because they noticed some scooter accidents and scraped up tourists on their last visit.
Has anyone rented scooters for the day and if so where did you go? Was it worth it? Would it better just to rent a car? We like to explore on our own, don't want to shop. Want beach, food and drink without the masses if possible. Is it possible to get around the whole island in one day? I have no idea how big this place is, never been there before.

Thanks for any answers!

There is no way I'd rent a scooter in Cozumel! The roads are narrow and the drivers are fast and aggressive. Car rentals are relatively cheap, and a car would be much safer! Cozumel is about 10 miles wide and 30 miles long.

Definitely go with the car. Not only are the scooters dangerous, it will take you twice as long to get wherever you are going. We rented a jeep last time & it was a blast. We drove all around the island, stopped at a bunch of places along the way then spent the afternoon at Dzul Ha before heading back to the ship.

Back in July, I saw firsthand why scooters are such a bad idea. A car pulling out smacked into a scooter trying to park. The scooter fell over, and a woman went flying off of it. It was really scary, and taught me a valuable lesson about what not to do in Cozumel. Rent a jeep instead.

I've also seen a lot of people who thought they could ride a scooter crash themselves. Unless you are severly limited on cash then rent a car. You can probably get a car for the day for about $45 and you will be able to bring 4+ people.

If you are trying to save some $$$ look for some other people your age, etc. on the cruise and try to hook up and split the cost.

The car also allows you to see more of the island than you would from a tour or scooter.

Any thoughts on the electric cars? Our Zuiderdam is out in the ocean trying to avoid Jeanne, so cosequently our Sept. 25 cruise is postponed and our itinerary has changed as well! Cozumel and Costa Maya being 2 of our new stops. Now spending my two days that I would have been onboard, on the computer learning about these places and what to do while there. Found a site that advertises these COOL looking electric cars!! While they seem to cost a bit more, they look a little safer than a scooter (been there won't do it again). And they look fun as all get out to boot!! Thanks, Nancy:cool:

Archived