Anyone Rent from AVIS?

Hogladyrider

We will be in Cozumel on Sat. Feb 9th and considering renting a vehicle for the day to explore the island. DH wants to use a "brand name" car rental agency.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience renting from AVIS and which of their 5 locations is near the cruise port we dock at.

We want to head to Planacar and then over to Coconuts and just drive around.

We have been to Cozumel numerous times and never done this type of thing on our own. We've done Paradise Island, Fury catamaran, Carlos & Charlies, the shopping thing etc so now we want to explore.

We will take the full insurance but we need to make a reservation soon so any input will be appreciated.

Thanks, Susan

I've used Avis twice while on Cozumel for a land vacation. First time I reserved directly thru their website because they have an outlet at the hotel we were saying at, the Fiesta Americana. The second time I rented thru cozumelinsider and I think that is the way to go, especially if you coming on a cruise. They will be albe to tell you which location to get the car from.

If you dock at the International pier, there is an Avis outlet right there, but if you dock in town at Puerto Langusto, then you'd want the in-town outlet.

Be sure to get the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com in addition to the full coverage insurance.

Thanks Bruce was hoping you'd share your knowledge! I already have that map I purchased it last year and have already used it twice on previous trips to Cozumel, it is great!

Its the research I have done and information found on these boards that has been invaluable and right on!

I am also learning that cash in Cozumel is the way to go for numerous items!

Any other tid bits you can offer will be appreciated!

We plan on having our snorkel gear with us in the vehicle just in case, but 78 water temp for me is a bit cool without a skin so we will play it all by ear.

I think once we get away from the downtown area on the roads we will be fine. Last August when we utilized a cab for a ride to Paradise Beach I thought I was going to lose my breakfast from the cab driver's driving technique's, but we are guests in their town so need to adapt I guess.

Susan

There are only a few things I can think of to add.

Get out of the vehicle when you buy gas before you return the car. Watch them fill the tank and tip the attendant a small tip.

If you rent a jeep, stay on the paved roads. The rental jeeps in Cozumel have had their 4 wheel drive shift linkage disconnected, so even if you wanted to use the 4 wheel drive, you couldn't. Personally, I would never rent a jeep, a car is much more comfortable, especially if someone has to sit in the back.

The only "safe" place to play in the water on the East side is Chen Rio.

Take a t-shirt if you are going to stop at Coconuts for their ceiling. PB Tom told me that my shirt is gone.

Finally, I usually give the taxi drivers the right of way and drive like I am not in a hurry.

You're gonna have a great time.

Excellent tips, Bruce! Especially about the gas part. The couple who was staying in the villa next to us had no idea that you are supposed to offer Propina (tip) to the attendant, but I gently educated them. :)

If you go to any of the supermarkets during your travels around the island, also don't forget to tip the person bagging your purchases.

Wherever you happen to rent from, have a great time, and a margarita or two for me!! :D

If you go to any of the supermarkets during your travels around the island, also don't forget to tip the person bagging your purchases.

Yep. In Chedraui, it looked like school kids "volunteer" to to the bagging, so I did tip just like the locals do.

I don't tip the taxi drivers there however unless they have really gone out of their way to render extra service.

Does anywone know how much a cab is from the cruise ships to Coconuts? My husband does not want to rent a car because we want to have drinks at Coconuts and don't want to drink and drive. thanks, Barb:)

Around $20-25 depending on the pier, you need to either have the taxi wait or make arrangements for him to return you back to town.

• 4 weeks later...

When people say "Full Coverage Insurance" do they mean Loss Damage Waiver, Personal Accident Insurance and Additional Liability Insurance?

Is there any car available through Cozumel Insider that isn't a compact or a jeep?

Archived