Fitness Classes - Galaxy - S. Carib

Bethany Beach

Organizing packing for our 2/25 S. Carib on the Galaxy. I know that the web site states exercises classes, but sometimes reality doesn't match a web site - SO - does anyone know if there are scheduled fitness classes such as step aerobics or spin? If so, are they scheduled daily (usually set times each day), several classes from which to choose each day, comments on the quality of the instructor/class? I'm not going to bother packing my exercise clothes/shoes if there is little chance that I will use them.

I have not been on Galaxy but am a gym rat on cruises as well as home.

No consistent schedule and most of the decent classes are an extra charge. IMO, the classes are not of the caliber I am used to at home. The step classes and some of the aerobics classes provide a decent workout but that's about it.

I assume that Galaxy has a gym the same size as Mercury which is quite small and basic.

Here is a link to a great site that Someone did (I think a poster screen named Aruba Lisa) that has the daily newsletters from a cruise a little over a year ago. If you look through them you'll see the programs each day. http://www.our-cruises.com/galaxy/1218a_sm.htm

I didn't do classes but my wife did one, and the couple we traveled with last year did some. I recall that they had 4 or 5 standard classes (pilates, yoga, step aerobics, spinning, etc) most days but usually varied the times each day. Most of the classes were $10 a few more basic, like group walks or daily stretching, were free. Use of the gym for self directed exercise was no extra charge and there were a good assortment of resistance machines, aerobic (treadmill, elliptical, rowing, cycle) and free weights. The gym was all refurbished with new equipment in February 2007.

I sometimes used the gym but usually prefer to walk up on deck - although the track on the Galaxy is pretty small.

caviargirl = thanks for such a quick response - I don't expect great classes but I'm hoping to at least keep up my cardio to some extent since we will be gone about two weeks for this trip. The only other cruise that we took where I attempted to go to a class was NCL Majesty which was a terrible cruise. In addition, the seas were so rough that I could barely walk much less make it through more than 5 minues of a step class. So, I'm hoping for calmer seas this time around.

lsimon = I see you are always quick to help out new cruisers like me who ask the same things over and over again. I really appreciate the link; even though the dailies were a few years old, they were fun to read as I am looking forward to having a great time on this cruise. We are big time snorkelers and I have snorkeling excursions set for each port. I also took advantage of the link to your pictures and enjoyed looking through them and will take some time later to really check them out as I noticed you also have some from the Radiance.

Anyone else having any hints/opinions about exercise classes, I'd love to read them. Thanks.

Archived