PROMOWAVES...have questions...help

mems

Hi All;

Has anyone ever booked a cruise using Royal Caribbean's Promowaves? I was shocked to go on this web site today and discovered we have paid $1000 dollars more per person by booking our November, 2004, transatlantic cruise on Splendour, last fall on Grandeur ...(ok less $200 on board credit for booking on board for a future cruise...but they did have our $900 deposit to play with for a half year) I was under the impression the best pricing for future cruises was booking early. I guess it's "buyer beware", but could someone explain to me the "facts of life' of cruise booking.

Thanks, mems

What is Royal Caribbean's Promowaves?

cruiselovin, I'm sure someone else can explain in detail but it's a promotion put out by RCCL with weekly specials on some of their cruises. I first heard about it on CC and put it in my favorites and just happened to click on it yesterday. See page 1 for the bumbling way I found it. The prices are good but my math was bad:o . The cruise price was cheaper then we paid but when I redid the math it wasn't $2000 cheaper. Sorry folks. Math never was my good point......in fact I'm still looking for my good point.;)

Promowaves is RCCL's "Tuesday Specials". They come out every Tuesday, and can be downloaded using the hyperlink that was provided in past posts. It is RCCL's way of filling up ships in categories that haven't sold out. Although they can be good value, you just have to be careful when booking them. They are only available for one week, and then they change! So if you see something that looks interesting, you can't wait. You need to book within the week that the offer came out.

BTW, many agents and RCCL sometimes have to be "nudged" to book these values, since many don't acknowledge them. When I was on the Monarch last year, the Loyalty Ambassador didn't even know what they were! LOL! I don't think they keep them a secret, they are just not very well publicized. The "specials" change every Tuesday and they include:

Seasonal Cruises

Short Cruises

Senior Specials

Resident Specials

In order to book these rates, you'll need to know that they won't accept someone who already is holding a booking for that cruise listed in the special (promowave). But most importantly, you need to realize that the cabins aren't the most "choice" locations and you'll basically get what they give you. (This is not to say that it is not negotiable, you just have to be careful before booking this promo.) In other words, know what you're getting BEFORE you book! If you're the kind of person that insists on a specific location for your cabin, you may be out of luck.

Sure hope this helps!

I am going to talk to my TA about Promowaves, mostly for my own information.

The difference is about $200. But the small print on the copy I made doesn't say if it includes port charges which are approximatly $200. We also bought cruise air which I forgot in my figures.

It does say "Goverment taxes and fees are additional".

With Promowaves our 14 day Transatlantic out of Barcelona is listed as: inside $899, OV $999, Balcony $1499 and Deluxe $1699.

I once saw this cruise on an internet site broken down like this:

OV: Fare $903, Port charges $220, Gov't $82. Air was $739 for a total of $1,945.

If 100 people on a given cruise were asked "How much did you pay for your cruise?" I'd bet you'd get 100 figures.

tinker, Thanks again for the info. One thing I do know is I'll never book a "guarentee" again. Went that way on Grandeur last year for an OV and got the very first cabin on deck 3. Ya know where the ship comes to a point and you only have a port hole at the end of a tunnel. Sure learned my lesson on that one. mems

Promowaves is RCCL's "Tuesday Specials".

They are only available for one week, and then they change! So if you see something that looks interesting, you can't wait. You need to book within the week that the offer came out.

BTW, many agents and RCCL sometimes have to be "nudged" to book these values, since many don't acknowledge them.

In order to book these rates, you'll need to know that they won't accept someone who already is holding a booking for that cruise listed in the special (promowave). Sure hope this helps!

The promowave rates are good until there are none left, that could be from several minutes to several days or longer.

Not only don't I need to be nudged to book these rates, I look for them to lower the cruise rate for my customers, as any good TA would. It's true that every dollar I save my client cuts my commission, but I would rather give my client the best possible value and lose a little of my cut.

Promowave fares are applicable to new and existing bookings and are sometimes in a specific category and sometimes a guarantee.

The prices for Promowave specials are not as good as a year or two ago, but neither are any other fares. Prices have been on the rise across the board.

Reggie:D

I would hope so. The economy has been so flat for so long, that many discretionary items, such as vacations, have had to artifically surpress prices in order to maintain some level of asset utilization. Rising prices in the discretionary sectors indicates that the economy is getting healthy!

I would hope so. The economy has been so flat for so long, that many discretionary items, such as vacations, have had to artifically surpress prices in order to maintain some level of asset utilization.

Elementary Bicker.

I sailed earlier this year on a 4 night cruise for $60 plus port and taxes. I had my own cabin as the double price was $40 per person and single supp was 150%.

RCCL spends a little more than $10 per diem for food, does anyone really believe the cruise line could make money charging $10 per day?:rolleyes:

Reggie, I bet you have many repeat clients who value your integrity. I sometimes feel guilty for bringing things to my TAs attention which I know will cut into her commission. I know she works hard for her money putting up with the public. That's why I would rather be a nurse than a TA.

And to answer an earlier question......she never did call me back. She is a sweetie who puts up with my phone calls even when I'm a pain in the butt.

I'm sure you're more familiar with this promotion, however, I must say, that the "certain restrictions apply" phrase has included "Not applicable to prior bookings". I'm sure there are ways to get around this, but it should be noted for anyone who thinks they can transfer/update their ongoing bookings with these rates. I'm only basing this on what I was told by RCCL and my TA. If this information is wrong, I'd love to hear more.

Thanks Reggie!

I finally spoke to my TA about Promowaves. She called the Service Rep and learned $100 is being deduced from our Visa bill.:) She and I were really surprised as we had already paid our balance. Boy, I guess it does pay to ask. I commented to her that many CC people who call RCCL service reps complain about their rudness. She told me the one she talked to was very pleasant and helpful. mems

I'm sure you're more familiar with this promotion, however, I must say, that the "certain restrictions apply" phrase has included "Not applicable to prior bookings". I'm sure there are ways to get around this, but it should be noted for anyone who thinks they can transfer/update their ongoing bookings with these rates. I'm only basing this on what I was told by RCCL and my TA. If this information is wrong, I'd love to hear more.

Thanks Reggie!

I've never seen a Promowave deal that's not applicable to previously booked reservations. I've had the lower price applied to several individual and group reservations. As said before these prices apply only to certain sailings and they are only good while the availability exists. The restrictions apply to age, one person in cabin over 55 and resident, one person in cabin residing in state that resident special applies to.

Reggie:D

I wish I were more puter savvy.:(

OK try this....this is what it sezs in my address space.

http:creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/RCL.pdf The RCL is in caps. Someone on CC said they got it by putting www. before the word creative.

Good luck, mems

Promowaves is a PDF file that should, when connected to it, download a PDF file of all the info you are looking for.

This is the link:

http://creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/rcl.pdf

The file opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available as shareware if you don't already have it. Just do a search for Adobe shareware.

Good luck! Remember, the file changes every Tuesday, so if you see something that is of interest, you must act within the week before the next specials are advertised.

Promowaves is a PDF file that should, when connected to it, download a PDF file of all the info you are looking for.

This is the link:

http://creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/rcl.pdf

The file opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available as shareware if you don't already have it. Just do a search for Adobe shareware.

Good luck! Remember, the file changes every Tuesday, so if you see something that is of interest, you must act within the week before the next specials are advertised.

It worked - I got into the PDF file finally! Thanks!

Archived