Leaving the kids with family

koolkul

My husband and I are cruisin' with NCL to the Mexican Riveria in March. We will be leaving our 7yr old and 2yr with my husband's parents. I plan on making copies of my insurance cards with them just in case anything happens. But what other items should I leave with them? Since we will be hard to get a hold of if something happens, I'm worried that they might not have significant proof to have any decisions in medical care or anything else, if needed. Does anybody have any suggestions?

We are doing the same this week. I would call your pediatricians office to find out exactly what they require. Our ped. only requires their original insurance card. But they did say that a hospital would not treat a minor without a note signed by both parents that has been notorized.

We are also leaving our ship name and itinerary. I believe in an emergency they can call NCL and put them in contact with the ship where they can leave you a message.

My husband and I are cruisin' with NCL to the Mexican Riveria in March. We will be leaving our 7yr old and 2yr with my husband's parents. I plan on making copies of my insurance cards with them just in case anything happens. But what other items should I leave with them? Since we will be hard to get a hold of if something happens, I'm worried that they might not have significant proof to have any decisions in medical care or anything else, if needed. Does anybody have any suggestions?

We were told to get a temporary healthcare power of attorney for minors and/or a temporary gardianship form notorized for each child. We did both just to be safe.

I made up a binder with important contact information, the number of the school, dr's office with instructions how to get there. I left their insurance cards for them and we signed a note letting the school know who was taking care of them and giving them permission to make decisions on our behalf. We also wrote a note for medical emergencies which was much the same. They stay at our house so we added information about our house like what to do if they trigger the alarm, how to adjust the furnace, which day was garbage pick up day etc. It was a lot of work at first because we left 3 children with activities to be taken to but our oldest was old enough to get her sisters organized. My mother has always enjoyed the week that she gets to spend with her grandchildren and loved having the book. I updated it every year as needed.

Karysa

I work in a Pediatricians office, we require a letter listing the name of the person who will be bringing the child, and it needs to be signed by both parents or the custodial parent if they are divorced/single parent. Signatures must match the signatures we already have on file for the parents. We do not require it to be notarized.

Although we have the insurance information on file it is always a good idea to have a copy of the most current insurance card in the event that it has changed since the childs last visit.

We have left our kids with my parents twice, and we have always filled out the form and left our insurance card. I have also typed up a detailed schedule, since with 3 kids there are various bus times, after school activities, etc. that gets complicated. My mom said that made it easy to just go to the day's instructions to see what is in store for that day.

We left the ship's number ICOE, but we ended up both times just using email. I checked my email once or twice a day in case my mom had any questions or problems. After she put the kids to bed she would email me a what happened that day. It was good to hear they were having a good time too! We always used the ship's computers but since then I have read on posts that there are usually internet cafes near the docks that are cheaper....

Enjoy your trip! You may miss your kids but there are lots of ways on a cruise ship to ease your pain!

Just to make it easier for your 7 year old, you might do what we do. We wrap up a small gift for each day that we're gone. It doesn't have to be something extravagant, in fact we try to make it a gift that they can "do" (i.e. craft, video game, movie tickets, etc.) so that it helps out the relatives watching them. We also include a note in each gift and sometimes, pictures.

We also email them several times while onboard and even call home once or twice. It really helps ease their anxiety (and yours)!:o

Just to make it easier for your 7 year old, you might do what we do. We wrap up a small gift for each day that we're gone. It doesn't have to be something extravagant, in fact we try to make it a gift that they can "do" (i.e. craft, video game, movie tickets, etc.) so that it helps out the relatives watching them. We also include a note in each gift and sometimes, pictures.

We also email them several times while onboard and even call home once or twice. It really helps ease their anxiety (and yours)!:o

We did the same thing. We got a card for everyday that we were away (4), and my mom has always, ever since he was 1 yr. had a grab bag for him. She goes to the 99 cent store and buys a game or toy for everyday that he is staying there. The ritual is that right after breakfast she brings out the bag and he picks one thing out of the bag each day. He loved it so much! Now that he is 12 1/2 and he's too old for the little kid toys, they save all their change in a piggy bank. When he goes to visit they give him the bank and he counts up all the coins. Sometimes there's $20 or $25 dollars in there. It has always been a great deal of fun for him and my parents. He also loved getting a new card everyday from us while we were gone. We would always bring him back a little something from each of the ports we stopped in, and also souviniere (sp) pins from each port.:D

I found the forms for Temporary Guardianship and Parental Medical Consent on the following website: http://www.free-legal-document.com/. Or, if that link doesn't work, it's www dot free-legal-document dot com.

We leave again in a couple weeks, so we'll have these forms filled out for my parents this time. We have left the children (9 and 5) twice before, but didn't have forms for this. I think it's a good idea in case of an emergency.

I lay everything out on the dining room table:

- Copies of our passports and itinerary, hotel, flights, ship contact number, etc.

- One of our original medical insurance cards

- A schedule for each day including bus times, basketball/gymnastics practice times, playdates, bedtime routine, etc.

- A house key (almost forgot that one last time!) and car keys (they fly in)

- Contact numbers of doctors, dentist, hospital, friends and neighbors

- A list of options for dinners that are prepared in the freezer.

- Labeled bags for each child for each day with all but the perishable items for school lunches and snacks

- I have my daughter (5) select her outfit for each day we're gone and line it up in her closet (saves time, and sanity, in the mornings since the fashion princess doesn't need to go through her clothing selection process)

It is a bit of work, but my parents REALLY appreciate the prep that I do for them. Then, they can just follow the schedule, and enjoy the time with their grandchildren.

Archived