Which Hawaiian Cruise??!!

tinsel57

We sail 5/19 on the Wind. When researching and trying to decide which cruise we were going to take these are the things I looked at. 1) airfare - preferred round trip rather than into Hawaii and home from Vancouver etc. and we also wanted to stay extra time in Hawaii (we are staying 5 days pre-cruise and 3 days post-cruise) 2) Fanning Island - We liked the idea of something totally different. Some people do, some people don't. 3) I wasn't sure I wanted 5 straight days of ocean crossing because this is our first cruise and I have a history of motion sickness. I just wasn't sure I wanted to be at sea for 5 straight days with that risk. (going to Fanning Island isn't much better but at least we get off for one day in the middle). 4) I might have tried the "Pride of" ships but we wanted to be on the ship on our actual anniversary date and couldn't wait for July. 5) Ship ratings-originally we were planning so far in advance we thought we would be on the Star. When they changed the itineraries we were a little disappointed but for the same money we got 3 extra days....it ended up ok since the Star has been having problems and they would probably have cancelled our cruise if it had been on the Star. Hopefully the Wind will be a good experience...we aren't difficult to please. 6) Price entered into it a little, of course we wanted the best deal but If I really felt that we wouldn't be happy with NCL I wouldn't have booked just to save money.

There are many choices out there. It depends on what will fit your expectations and lifestyle. I hope to post a review when we return (I don't even want to think about returning just yet though)!

Hope you enjoy planning as much as I have. These boards are the best help available. Good Luck!

Can't wait till 5/19/04 on the Wind
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;19;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

PS. We are mid 40's, kids grown. Basically easy going, we are looking forward to dressing up and having nice meals together as well as meeting new people. We love kids but part of our choice was based on the fact that we didn't forsee a lot of kids on a 10 day Hawaii cruise during the last month of the school year. Since this is a 25th anniversary cruise we are looking forward to enjoying each other and the company of other adults.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;19;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

You and I are almost in the same boat, no pun intended! Age, kids, like nice meals and the company of nice people, the tropics. I really would prefer a cruise that does not waste 5 days at sea and that spends more port time in Hawaii. We want to relax, enjoy each other's company and see Hawaii. We are not cruising for the 'party' atmosphere some are looking for.
I am looking at ship ratings and your again, are correct, there is a cost factor but I am not bottom basement shopping. I want something nice but not sedate or stuffy. If all this makes sense!

tinsel57

PERFECT sense. Do your homework and you will have a great time I'm sure. I have made up my mind that it would take a terrible disaster for us NOT to have a wonderful time. How can anybody have a lousy time in Paradise! I will sure let you know how we think about things when we return in June.

"waste 5 days at sea?"???

I love the sea days...the more, the merrier. I like ports, but I cruise to be at sea. I can run around land anytime I want. I am looking into the 15 day round trips from the mainland. I hate being trapped on airplanes for long flights too. I wish one of the lines would dump one of the HAWAII (big island) ports, and do an overnight in MAUI or KAUAI.

ISLAND PRINCESS is looking mighty tasty!

Navigator of the Seas- 12-13-2003 (7 days) Western
Ocean Princess - 02/2002 (10 days)Southern
Enchantment of the Seas - 02/1999 (7 days) Western

Archived