Help.. Whale watching in Cabo

SWACK

Interested in seeing two things in Cabo.. the Archo and some whales. Most of the whale trips that I can get to from the time my cruise lands are booked. I can't do the zodiacs due to wifes concerns, so looking for another option. I've heard you can book a water taxi from the peir to go see the arch. Is this true, and is it also possible to see the whales and sealions and such? I've read reports of people seeing the whales up close from the ship, so I assume they're no that far out?

I leave 2/16, so the timing should be fine....

Not sure what your wife's concerns are regarding the zodiac's. On the zodiacs that "Ocean Riders" uses, there are 2 rows of seats (facing forward). They are saddle type seats with a backrest and roll bar in front to hold on to. You can also stand up in these seats still holding on to the rollbar with your backside resting against the backrest.

Other options would include catamarins like "Pez Gato", "Tropicat", "La Princesa". Also ships like the Pirate Ship (name?), the Rissalena, Caborey. There are also sail boats like the Yael.

Hope you have a great trip. All of the names I've mentioned have websites. Just have to do a little googling.

Forgot to mention, all of these trips should also include trips to the Arch (Lands End) as well as the sea lion colony, etc. It's pretty standard.

hello, there is water taxi's from the marina they will show you the arch and sea lion colony, but they are limited to how far out they can go. at the moment we have lots of whales around. if you can't do the zodiac, then a sailing boat is the best option, there are some good choices, and they are safe. the boat will show you all the sites plus try to get close to the whales, but they repect the distance as to not disturb them.

She does not want to "interface" with the water as much as you would in the zodiac..:rolleyes:

I've tried a couple of the sailboats, and have not found one that is avaialble or at the right time (10-noon or so) .. I will try a few of the names that you provided that I have not seen yet..

We will be there on Feb 18th. I considered the zodiacs and would probably have taken it, but my wife and daughter could not go w/o a restroom for that long nor do they like getting bounced around that much. I tried to book a popular catamaran (non cruise ship tour), but they never replied to my email (probably full already) so I just booked the cruise tour to be safe. I think it will be fine as the whale season is at its height in mid Feb so we should get plenty of sightings regardless. Good luck!

We cruised into Cabo last January 2007 with Princess. We took their whale watching tour and it was the best we have ever done. We've gone whale watching in Hawaii and it was nothing like this tour. We were on a big boat (2 or 3 floors) with ok restrooms. We sat upstairs for most of the tour and the whales were everywhere!!!!! We followed the Zodiacs out into the open sea as they moved faster and found the whales right away. One of my friends got really sea sick so I went below with her and even from inside we saw whales everywhere. The captain and crew were so nice. They kept coming down to check on her and continued to tell us where to look for the whales. The were yelling at us, telling us what direction to look and again I tell you, the whales were everywhere. This trip was one of the hightlights of our tour. Don't miss it!!!!

Went whale watching two days ago in Cabo. Went on Pez Gato. Tri-hulled catamaran. Awesome!! Saw lots of whales--two were breaching and got great photos of them. Went from 10 to about 12:30. All you wanted to drink and the best fresh guacomole and salsa made right on the boat. Also went up close the the Arches going out and again coming back in. $30 each and had about 16-18 people in our group. They do have a web site for reservations.

Archived