any ships to avoid?

star65

Hi Just back from our first cruise on the legend and loved it!!! Can't wait to book another one. Problem is we promised the kids disney next year, so we are thinking of combining it with a short carnival cruise from FL. Most of the shorter cruises are older ships, the legend is only 2 years old, I am not sure what to expect with an older ship, do they really show their wear and tear? Anyone much better than the others? We are considering the inspiration, but they don't seem to have any balcony cabins available. Thanks.

Hi. Glad y'all enjoyed your cruise. About the older ships - there's nothing wrong with them. Really. The Holiday is my favorite ship, and she's the OLDEST ship in the fleet.:rolleyes: The older ones are, of course, smaller, but I like the intimacy of a smaller ship. They're always being refurbished, kept all shiny-clean, and the crews are just as friendly, food just as good, and activities the same.

All of the ships in the Carnival fleet that do the shorter cruises are either the Holiday or Fantasy class. The only staterooms with balconies are the suites. For a short cruise I doubt that you would miss the balcony. I happen to like the Fantasy out of Pt. Canaveral. Carnival spent twenty five million on her last year for a major refurb. She is a clean ship and has a very friendly crew. The only Carnival ship that I did not like was the Fascination. She was not up to par when I cruised on her back in 2001. Things could have changed by now though.

Was just on the Fascination a couple weeks ago. REALLY clean now (don't know what it was like back in 2001). Not nearly as clean as the Paradise, but for an "older" ship I thought it was in really good shape (do avoid the public bathrooms on Lido deck, though..... PEW!). I thought this was a great short trip ship.

Joe

I am looking for any feedback good and bad before I book the Carnival Spirit for July 2005 SB Alaska/ My Husband and I have only sailed RCCI up till now but the Carnival is what fits our budget this time, I believe the spirit is only 3 years old, so it must be pretty nice I would think, any imput would be appreciated. We are able to book a balcony by going on the carnival.,Thanks,Mary-Ellen

For a short cruise, we love the Fantasy!

As you can see, we've been on her many times and have always had a great time.

She has been completely refurbished and looks wonderful..

food is the same as on the Legend. They usually serve lobster and prime rib on the first night- weird huh?

There is also a deli right next to the pizza place.

We are sailing on her again Sept 30!

mandrews,

We sailed on the Spirit this past February, although it was a 8 night carribean cruise. We had a balcony cabin. Previously we had sailed on Celebity and Royal Carribean and we didn't know what to expect from Carnival. We were pleasantly impressed and as you can see in my signature, we will be sailing on the Carnival Glory Oct. 2nd. The Spirit was great. It was clean, the service was good to great.

Our only (slight) negative experiences were that one piece of our luggage was missing until late the first night, which made us a little anxious for a bit. Second, we weren't crazy about two of our three ports, but, that won't affect you on your Alaskan cruise, it certainly didn't spoil our overall experience!

The dining staff was attentive and very friendly, going out of their way to anticipate our preferences. Our room steward kept our room clean and well stocked (it really is like magic, we never saw him after a quick stop in to say hello on about day 2 ... but he always attended to our room promptly)

We enjoyed the shows we attended and activities we participated in. The Nouveau Supper Club was worth every penny of the $25.00 fee. I highly recommend it. A close friend sailed on the Spirit two weeks after us and she was highly disinclined to pay an additional fee for any meal given the abundance of all inclusive food offered all over the ship. We told her she HAD to go! She did and loved it so much she went two nights! Do yourself a favor and go, and go hungry!

We had a blast! Happy sailing!

We used to do Disney too-Until we discovered cruising. Now the kids dont ever want to do Disney again.

A cruise is what you make of it. I loved my Sensation cruise. From a small ship to a bigger one- I liked everything about them.

Archived