Completely Depressed & Frustrated...HELP!

Brenda33

Brenda, when you say "off the chart"..are you talking that you are way above your target range for the "heart healthy" or "endurance" categorys?? I'm still not sure I understand.

"Off the chart" is not really meaningful. Those heart rate charts printed on the machines at the gym are based strictly on age, and are not accurate. Your heart rate improves as your cardiac fitness improves. And for those that regularly do intensive cardio, those "target rates" are usually left behind pretty quickly. My heart rate when doing a cardio workout, is always far above what the charts say for my age.

Your ambient heart rate is that measurement when you are sitting, relaxed, sedentary and it usually ranges between 50 and 90 bpm, but healthy ranges of ambient heart rates are very broad. The fitter you become, the lower your ambient heart rate.(I just took mine, and it is 54.) In general, the lower your ambient rate, the better. World-class athletes have ambient heart rates in the 40's and 50 bpm range.

Your resting heart rate is measured when you first wake up in the morning before you get out of bed. (Mine is around 45.) The lower the number the better. Common resting heart rate numbers are in the 50-60s but again, those really fit athletes commonly display resting heart rates in the 30's and 40's.

Your max HR = the fastest your heart can beat for one min. A generalized rule anchors your Max HR using a mathematical formula but it has a lot of error in it because it allows it to drop as you get older. Most people become less active with age so from this perspective, the formula has some validity. If you are active and workout hard, your heart rate will not drop from age. In fact, Max HR doesn't decrease if you maintain your fitness (it does if you become deconditioned). So using a formula based on age just doesn't work well enough.

I like the calculator here, as it is closer to what I see on my HRM. Find your estimated Max HR first, then enter the data in the form, and see what you get

http://www.fitzones.com/members/Fitness/heartrate_zones.asp

wow....u all sure know alot about heart rates and stuff!! all i know is they have a chart on the wall...yes, one with age......and i am usually above the highest number for my age on the chart. i will most likely stick with curves at least through the summer. its coming fast, etc. and i know alot of my exercise then will come from the pool, etc. after that possibly, i will explore new options.

That was an interesting link that NailLady gave on Curves. Not what I pictured at all. When I am at the gym I kind of zone out, plug into my Ipod and go into my own little world. Talk to myself sometimes to motivate myself to push harder, especially while doing cardio..... Being in a circle with other ladies would just drive me crazy! I need more space than that!

Talking about cardio, yesterday I hit an hour and 5 miles on the crosstrainer, so pleased with myself!

That was an interesting link that NailLady gave on Curves. Not what I pictured at all. When I am at the gym I kind of zone out, plug into my Ipod and go into my own little world. Talk to myself sometimes to motivate myself to push harder, especially while doing cardio..... Being in a circle with other ladies would just drive me crazy! I need more space than that!

Talking about cardio, yesterday I hit an hour and 5 miles on the crosstrainer, so pleased with myself!

Smooth - I am exactly the same way. Most nights I couldn't even tell you who was in the gym - I am in my own world. When I went out the other night (yeah - I went to the biker bar ) some guy grabbed me and said "hey - good to see you out of the gym!". I stared blankly for a second, and then smiled and mumbled some sort of a polite reply...but I have no idea who he is or which gym he even goes to!!

Exceelent job on the cardio!! I've only exceeded an hour a very few times - and man am I "jello-legs" when I am done!!!

Being in a circle with other ladies would just drive me crazy! I need more space than that!

quote]

Ditto. I would go nuts in such a little space. I hate when people are too close, especially at the gym. But, good they have this type of place too - a lot of people aren't comfortable in a regular gym, and I think Curves convinces people that yes, they can make working out part of their life.

3 days till I leave! It's supposed to snow on Saturday though...real light, but still...we're almost in mid-April.

Well ladies, today I'll know the status of my car. I haven't been to the gym at all this week. Now how weird is this...I am sure it is a trauma reaction, but i have barely eaten since Sat..my tummy roars, but NOTHING tastes good to me at all. I ate at MIL's last night and I didn't even feel like eating her cooking (and I LOVE how she cooks). When I do eat something I can't finish it and I am really forcing myself to eat. I'm concerned about not having energy to work out when I go tomorrow. Maybe this is the "Depression Diet" ?? I don't understand how I can be physically HUNGRY but nothing has taste to me! So I find msyelf scratching me head what to eat. I ate some veggies with a little cheese and a piece of bread yesteday but I felt sick to my stomach after I ate! Last night I ate some rice and a couple of bbq beef bones at MIL's but it did nothing for me!

Well ladies, today I'll know the status of my car. I haven't been to the gym at all this week. Now how weird is this...I am sure it is a trauma reaction, but i have barely eaten since Sat..my tummy roars, but NOTHING tastes good to me at all. I ate at MIL's last night and I didn't even feel like eating her cooking (and I LOVE how she cooks). When I do eat something I can't finish it and I am really forcing myself to eat. I'm concerned about not having energy to work out when I go tomorrow. Maybe this is the "Depression Diet" ?? I don't understand how I can be physically HUNGRY but nothing has taste to me! So I find msyelf scratching me head what to eat. I ate some veggies with a little cheese and a piece of bread yesteday but I felt sick to my stomach after I ate! Last night I ate some rice and a couple of bbq beef bones at MIL's but it did nothing for me!

M, I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but I know the exact same feeling. This is how I get when I have any major upset with a relationship, or serious family illness. So yeah...I guess "depression diet" fits for me too. I get the tummy hungry noises as well...but I simply don't have any appetite for anything. It must be a delayed reaction from the accident? It should pass in a few days, if it even lasts that long. Jus tmake sure you try to keep a little in your stomach. I actually get nauseous, and have to make myself eat saltines just to keep up my strength!

Until you bounce back try foods that are easy on the digestive system.

White rice, yogart with Activia in it, or even a cold soup like blended mangos or something along thoes lines. You have to eat, and I know you are a great one from trying different things.

Good luck, keep us posted.

The word on the car is $5800 damage but they can repair it..I am happy because it's an Infinity and I would have been upside down if they had totaled it so I'm grateful. I spoke to my former trainer who is also a physical therapist, he convinced me to get checked out so that's the next step but I have to go through the insurance as the other guy pays for everything. I am starting to get sore so the trainer friend said to not really do anything until I am checked, although I could walk on the treadmill which is something. Happy, glad I'm not the only one on the "no eating" thing!! I ate some salad yesterday with a little chicken and then actually ate pizza...my "cheat" food but when you haven't eaten in a few days is it really cheating??? :)

Thanks for the well wishes ladies..isn't it amazing we are all "virtual strangers" (literally!) but can be supportive. Chi, the weather has been in the mid 80's here, so if you are cruising this weekend you should have great weather for embarking. No rain in sight.

M, what's the word on the car?

Have you been checked out to see if everything is OK? I'm sure the food thing will pass, but take it easy when you work out tomorrow, ok?

The word on the car is $5800 damage .

Holy CRAP! :eek: But you are right...much better than totalling it!!

I am starting to get sore so the trainer friend said to not really do anything until I am checked.

Totally agree. Until you are checked out, you really don't know what the impact the accident had on your body, so be careful.

when you haven't eaten in a few days is it really cheating???

Definitely not. :D

isn't it amazing we are all "virtual strangers" (literally!) but can be supportive.

You know, I've never "stayed" on a thread like this before, but I really do enjoy it, and it helps having a "sounding board" of those that are working towards similar goals. :)

Hi everyone! I'm finally back from the cruise & stay in Houston after.

ChiG, I hope I'm not too late to wish you Bon Voyage!!

I haven't caught up on all the thread posts yet to know what's going on.... please forgive me... I'm still pooped. :o

OK so my weight report. Sooo much yummy food and I left the handy "fist" plan somewhat but still ate less than I would have without the discipline it gave me before the trip. It is soooo true that with all the walking, stairs, excursions you really must use a lot more calories during the cruise.

I left at 115, came back at only 118 (althogh the first night I swear it said 120, but it was much later in the day for a weigh in for me.)

And as of this morning... she's back at 115. :D

Whew! I seriously thought I would have gained 10 lbs with what all I had eaten and so often.

I will try to read back posts now to see how everyone is doing.

Didn't want to miss wishing our ChiGirl a good & safe voyage...

Take care everyone....

Taggie aka Andrea

It's supposed to be 80 here the next two days and partly cloudy. Have a great trip..if you get this before you go, go to Tropical Acres for dinner pre cruise in Fort Lauderdale....to die for!

I'm still around...I fly out Saturday...working today. Can't wait...thanks for the well wishes:D. Talk to you when you get back!

Hey Chi,

Have a great cruise. I wish I was you!

Welcome backTag,... Cant wait to hear all about it. Good job on the no weight gain. Now that I have reached my weight loss goal I would also love to hear how or what changes you made once you hit your goal.

Lousy weekend weather wise, though I did get a few things in the yard done Had my son all weekend as his dad was out of town, so that's always nice. Had a very busy weekend though, even with the rain. My cleaning lady could not come Friday (she cleans every other week) so we cleaned the house Sunday. Not really that dirty, more messy than anything. :o Took my son and his buddy to see STOMP Sat. night so that was fun. But I didn't make it to the gym all weekend, so it's back to the grind this week. :cool:

I am SO over this rain!!! :mad:

How is everybody doing? I am fustrated!. This week end I was cleaning brush at the edge of the woods that border our house to plant flowers and now I have posion Ivy and cant go to the gym afriad it will spread even more.....

Ugh!! I had poison ivy once, last year. And I only had it a little, but it took SUCH a long time to clear up. I had no idea I even had any of that stuff in my yard...but let me tell you I got rid of it PDQ!! Hope it gets better quickly Smooth...I know it's aggravating! :(

Archived