Up sells Vs Up grade on Westy 09/28/08

Sbilko

My DW and I have booked, last November, on the Westy from Seattle to FLL sailing on Sept. 28, 2008. Because we love to watch sunsets at sea, we booked cabin 5033, but told Hal we would accept an upgrade. My first question is about “Upsells”, “When are they usually offered?”

My second question is “Do you get offered an Up Grade Prior to an UP Sell, or v.v?"

My third question is "How full usually are Repo Cruises?"

My DW and I have booked, last November, on the Westy from Seattle to FLL sailing on Sept. 28, 2008. Because we love to watch sunsets at sea, we booked cabin 5033, but told Hal we would accept an upgrade. My first question is about “Upsells”, “When are they usually offered?”

My second question is “Do you get offered an Up Grade Prior to an UP Sell, or v.v?"

My third question is "How full usually are Repo Cruises?"

I recently received an "upsell" via email three days out, to go from a VC to a superior suite (SY, without most of the suite extras), for $99 pp on an 11-nighter. Was too late in calling and they had sold them all.

This upsell offer was after an upgrade (on a guar).

Upgrades can come at anytime, but usually close to sailing (30-60 days out) or even at check-in.

Hope this helps.

HAL faxes the uosell offers to ta's. 99% of the time, they are no bargains. It is strictly a yield management tool to move bookings up and maximize revenue because people are not, at the outset, purchasing the more expensive cabins.

• 2 weeks later...
HAL faxes the uosell offers to ta's. 99% of the time, they are no bargains. It is strictly a yield management tool to move bookings up and maximize revenue because people are not, at the outset, purchasing the more expensive cabins.

If we wanted to be considered for an Upsell, should we tell our TA? :D

We have a booked VF, for a June sailing. The category is currently sold out and in the guarantee status. We would really like to move up to an SY, which has plenty of availability. Right now, the price difference would be $700 pp and too much for us to upgrade ourselves. However, we would be willing to pay less for an Upsell.

Hoping the price will drop before our cruise, but final payment is coming up next month and I am not sure we would be able to take advantage of a price drop after final payment. What I am amazed about is that the cruise has so much availability, whereas one other cruiseline, leaving for the same itinerary/same time frame, is almost sold out!

Archived