Best sunscreen for Hawaii sun?

marilynbn

I need to know from one of the locals which is THE best sunscreen for the hot Hawaii sun in June/July. I expect I will be in saltwater a lot during our vacation. Is there a particular brand that stays on a long time in salt water? I am med-fair skinned with freckles.

Thanks...Marilyn icon_cool.gif

flahatch.gif

Pride of Aloha

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2005;1;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I actually use baby sunscreen for the entire family (red, fair and freckles myself) and havent had a sunburn yet in the 9 months here.

NO-AD Baby 45 and Banana Boat Baby 50 are both waterproof.

I do use a fancier wrinkle-prevention screen on my face and wear a hat and glasses though.

I recommend screening up in your hotel room. It is windy here so if you wait until the beach, you will feel like youre exfoliating youself as you lather! icon_eek.gif

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Whatever brand you buy, look for Parsol 1789 in the ingredients. Best sunscreen ingredient as of now (per dermatologist friend) - blocks both UVA and B.

We personally use Ombrelle (L'Oreal Ombrelle website) ... our version is not water-proof but there may be one.

Spleen

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</a>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;9;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  until RSSC Navigator - Canada - 6/04

Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean - 10/03, Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 6/03, Ocean Princess - Alaska - 7/02

My wife is very sensitive to the sun and she really likes products made by Waikiki Aloe. I have used their after burn products (I don't use sunscreen) and they work better than anything else I've used.

'89 Commodore/Caribe I

'92 NCL/Westward

'96 NCL/Seaward

'99 RCI/Rhapsody Of The Seas

'00 RCI/Legend Of The Seas

'01 Princess/Ocean Princess

'02 RCI/Vision Of The Seas

'03 Princess/Sea Princess

'03 Princess/Sea Princess

TAHITIAN PRINCESS 02/11/05

Aside from all of the excellent medical advice to use sunscreen, we (who worship the sun) learned several years (and cruises) ago to go to the local tanning salon 3-4 weeks in advance just to "knock the white off" our skin. Having said that, Pebbles always uses spf-15 on her face, 4-8 on the rest. I read in Consumer Reports a couple of years ago that anything above spf-15 is a waste, but to each their own....

The ABCs in Honolulu carried a variety of lotions - seems I saw Bullfrog and Blue Lizard. Suebees comments on lathering-up in the room is right-on, also gives the lotion a chance to sink-in...

Have a great vacation!!

BAMnJAM

Carnival Imagingation '96

RCC Majesty '98

Sun Princess '00

NCL Star '04

Cruisin's not just an adventure, it's an Attitude!!

Proud member (x2) of the PPS - yeah!!

I just have to add that if youre fair and/or redhead, it is just the best idea to take a break from the beach from 10-2. The beach in the morning and late afternoon is wonderful (and less crowded). We went to the beach on Saturday and the parking lot was full by 9, but people were leaving by noon for lunch or whatever.

It would be a great time for lunch, shopping, sight-seeing, or taking a little nap!

Oh, and don't forget your feet. You do NOT want a sunburn through your sandal straps!!!

icon_smile.gif

NCL Star 1/04

What's Next? Alaska 2005 - Ask me about an official CC group!

Thank you all for your quick replies and advice. We plan to go to our local tanning salon about 4 weeks before our cruise. We may live in sunny California but we are as white as anyone! I will take a list of all the products suggested with particular detail to those that have the parsol 1784 that Spleen's dermatoligist recommends. Mahalo, see I'm practicing my Hawaiian icon_biggrin.gif Marilyn icon_cool.gif

flahatch.gif

Pride of Aloha

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2005;1;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Hi Marilyn,

Coming from a white butted Canadian - I would for sure go with Spleen's recommendation - I have also started into the tanning beds here since I think we will be in for it when we get to Hawaii - I can hardly wait!!! Have a great trip icon_biggrin.gif

Jen

Norwiegan Wind - to Hawaii - ahhhh Paradise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;8;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived