True or False...

MamaParrotHead

Kids are not charged the $200 pp hold on your S&S account upon boarding? My PVP says they are NOT, so it would just be the $400 hold for DH and I. And does this depend at all on how many cabins we are occupying?

Thanks.

it's only an issue if you are near the max on your credit card. Or have a low limit cc. Or I suppose if you use a debit card and have hardly any money in the bank. Otherwise what difference does it make what kind of holds they put on it?

it's only an issue if you are near the max on your credit card. Or have a low limit cc. Or I suppose if you use a debit card and have hardly any money in the bank. Otherwise what difference does it make what kind of holds they put on it?

I don't understand why you would reply to a question that way. :confused: The board is here to help people not for people to be so rude to others. I would also like to know if they hold money on the card for children or not.

Completely unneccessary and when it comes to other people controlling MY money it does make a difference.

Mama, I have no experience with this but it makes sense what your PVP said because if they have no abilities to charge anything on a s/s card then 200 should not be held for them, just my thoughts.

Way to go MAMA...good for you for standing up for yourself! I would also like the answer to this question, as I will be sailing with my minor child in Dec. and...that is very good information to have...especially for people who use debit card, or cash deposits...and I'm sure for people with credit cards as well. It's always best to be INFORMED of what is being done with YOUR money.

into the CC "archives"...it seems to me that the consensus opinion is that if your kids' cards are just used as keys, and they have no charging privileges, that the deposit is not necessary for them.

That's just from what I've read thus far.

Keep your personal experiences coming.

I just talked with a friend who has sailed alot more than I have, and on her last cruise, she took 3 teenagers (only one of whom was her own) and she just told them upon boarding that she didn't want the girls to have charging privileges, and she was not charged the fee for them.

When you first get ready to get on board and you give them your credit card, the primary cardholder will be asked to initial by each name that will have charging priveliges. If you do not initial by their names then the $200.00 pp should not be held against them. I hope that this helps.

Each time I have sailed, I have all of my kids placed on my credit card as well, they always put the hold on my card for the kids too even when I suspend their charging privileges. My boys are 20 and 17...maybe they don't put a hold on the younger kids...I don't know.

That is my experience...hope it helps

Way to go MAMA...good for you for standing up for yourself! I would also like the answer to this question, as I will be sailing with my minor child in Dec. and...that is very good information to have...especially for people who use debit card, or cash deposits...and I'm sure for people with credit cards as well. It's always best to be INFORMED of what is being done with YOUR money.

It would be obvious that since tips are paid on your sail and sign, sailing with children they will automatically hold a certain amount of money.

And since all it is, is a hold they aren't keeping your money. All hotels and cruise ships put a hold on a credit card.

They tell you upfront it is $200 a person. So go in with that thought and if you don't spend that much money, it's released at the end of the cruise.

Then it's up to your bank, cc company's rules as to when they release the money off the card.

5 people tips for the week are 70 a person, that's automatically 350. So if all they are holding $400, that leaves you $50 for a week on a cruise ship. It's common sense they are going to put a hold on your card for more money.

into the CC "archives"...it seems to me that the consensus opinion is that if your kids' cards are just used as keys, and they have no charging privileges, that the deposit is not necessary for them.

That's just from what I've read thus far.

Keep your personal experiences coming.

I would assume if there is enough on there to cover their tips you would be fine. Unless you already pre-paid your tips.

Hello,

I was on the Glory back in September and if I remember right they just took out $10.00 a day for $70.00 on my card. Has things changed.

Thanks

I was on the Glory in Sept. too. :D

The only thing that gets charged on your S & S card when you board is the $70 gratuity (unless you pre-pay)...the discussion is about the $200 deposit that is put on "hold" on your credit or debit card (or you can pay it in cash)...assuming that you will spend at least that much during the week. If you don't...they release the hold and only charge what you actually spent. If you paid a cash deposit, and spent less than the $200, they give you a check back for the remainder at the end of the week.

Kids are not charged the $200 pp hold on your S&S account upon boarding? My PVP says they are NOT, so it would just be the $400 hold for DH and I. And does this depend at all on how many cabins we are occupying?

Thanks.

We had 2 rooms, put the 12 and 17 y/o in one and myself, hubby and 6y/o in the other. None of the kids had charging priveleges and they did not put a hold on any money except for the 2 of us. THey charged the tips for both rooms onto our room. This was in July on the Conquest.

Have a great time!!

It's been a couple of years since I took my neices and nephew on a cruise (they are all teenagers) but the only charge put on my card for them was their tips. I did not give them charging privledges.

Terri

Thanks.

It doesn't matter if the kids are charged $200 or not because if they don't use it, it will just be refuned so I wouldn't worry about it. Just because they hold $200 doesn't mean you won't get it back if you don't spend it. Does that make sense?

Archived