Cable break reason behind loss of internet communications with Egypt and Middle East

Andiamo!

If any of you are waiting to get a response from tour operators in Egypt, you will need to be patient because apparently 3 underwater cables have been cut which were providing connections between Egypt and Europe and the US. Here is an article that was posted January 30th, before they knew that there were actually 3 cables that had been cut.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aWe706hsLNdY&refer=europe

I have been able to call Egypt with my cell phone and receive calls as well. Before attempting this, check your rates because with some plans it can be very expensive.

Service is apparently reduced by 70%, and Egypt is trying to reroute internet traffic, but they don't expect cables to be repaired for about two weeks.

Nile Blue Tours and I sent a number of emails back and forth today so I asked what the current internet situation was in Egypt. I was told that the internet was working fine for them now, but that it was possible that some servers were still having problems.

Archived