Vancouver's Hop On Hop Off Trolley vs. Cabs for 5

vbmom87

I have read a lot about how much people like the Hop On Hop Off Trolley in Vancouver. However, it seems a bit pricey to me. We will staying downtown walking distance from Stanley Park. There are five of us so it would cost us $175 for the two day ticket. It just seems that the number of places we would go in two days, we could take cabs for less than $175. Am I missing something here?

For 5 people that is a fair amount of money - the downtown core of Vancouver is fairly compact - only about a mile square so as long as don't mind walking you will be able to see a fair amount - the other option is to buy an all day transit pass - it's I believe is $9.00 per day so that is a lot cheaper - regular transit fare is $2.50 per person with a ninety minute transfer - also keep in mind that there is a free hop on hop off shuttle that operates around Stanley Park from mid June to late September that takes you to all the main attractions in the park.

Here's a link to the Stanley Park shuttle:

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/shuttle.htm

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

For 5 people that is a fair amount of money - also keep in mind that there is a free hop on hop off shuttle that operates around Stanley Park from mid June to late September that takes you to all the main attractions in the park.

Here's a link to the Stanley Park shuttle:

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/shuttle.htm

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for responding, Dennis. I will have to look into the public transport all day for $9.00. That might work out better. I still have to figure out all the places we want to go. However, staying in downtown, I figured we could walk to some places and if we needed to cab it to a few places, it seems like it would be a lot less than $175.

Unfortunately we will be in Vancouver just a few days before the shuttle operates in Stanley Park. We were very disappointed to find out that we will miss out. The hop on hop off trolley does have a few stops in Stanley Park, so we will have to continue to sort through it all and come up with the most economical plan, without missing all the great sites.

Celebrity is offering the hop on hop off trolley as one of its excursions for our April Pacific Northwest cruise, but it only states it has 26 stops and does not tell you which ones they are or how often the trolley goes by each stop.

Does anyone know this information?

Thank You

Lynn

Celebrity is offering the hop on hop off trolley as one of its excursions for our April Pacific Northwest cruise, but it only states it has 26 stops and does not tell you which ones they are or how often the trolley goes by each stop.

Does anyone know this information?

Thank You

Lynn

I haven't found any with 26 stops. The owner of the B & B we are staying at says there are currently two hop on hop off vendors with a third company trying to resurrect itself.

He recommended the Vancouver Trolley Company. They advertise 26 stops. Their current schedule is 45 minutes apart but that is the winter schedule.:

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

Another company is the Big Bus. I have not read good review of it. They adverstise 20 stops.

http://www.bigbus.ca/

You say there are 5 of you so I assume you are a family and that you have a few days in Vancouver.

I would suggest public transit might do it for you quite nicely -

1 day do Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain - http://www.capbridge.com & http://www.grousemountain.com to check out these 2 wonderful attractions. Allow about 1.5 hours for Capilano Suspension Bridge & the balance of the day for the grouse mountain (caveat only go up Grouse Mountain on a nice clear day) This is easy to do via public transit - buy an all day pass $9.00 pp and take the bus from your hotel to the SeaBus station (hotel staff will be able to tell you which bus from your hotel does this) and this will be a short trip if you are staying in downtown Vancouver. Ride the SeaBus accross the harbor to Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver (this is a public market which you might enjoy browsing) then in front of the quay at the bus loop take the Capilano Road bus - ride this as far as the Suspension Bridge - once you have enjoyed the suspension bridge reboard the bus heading up the hill - in other words continue on - to the end of the route and this is the parking lot base station of the tram that will take you to the top of Grouse Mountain. At the end of your day retrace your steps.

The next day take the bus to Stanley Park and enjoy that park and the Aquarium.

Another day Take the public transit system to either Science World or Queen Elizabeth Park or to Granville Island Public Market or to Vancouver's Museum & the adjacent Maratime Museum or if the weather is good visit one of our many beaches.

If you have enough time you might want to consider a 1 day car rental and head off to visit Whistler - future home of the 2010 Olympics.

Enjoy your stay

Is there a charge for the Stanley Park Aquarium?

If so, do you know the cost?

About how much time would it take to go thru the Aquarium at a normal pace?

We are also thinking about bike riding around Stanley Park....How much time should we allow?

Thanks

Here's a link to the seawall in Stanley Park - give yourself upwards of half a day to see all the sights listed.

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/landmarks.htm

and here's one for the Aquarium:

http://www.vanaqua.org/home/

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

How are you getting from the airport to your Vancouver B&B? Have you considered renting a mini-van for your group? You should be able to get one for less than the cost of airport to downtown transport plus a 2-day trolley ticket.

Regarding which trolley company to use, I couldn't find much difference between companies in the attracations that each visited. I suspect that the company making 26 stops is making more hotel stops than the other.

How are you getting from the airport to your Vancouver B&B? Have you considered renting a mini-van for your group? You should be able to get one for less than the cost of airport to downtown transport plus a 2-day trolley ticket.

Regarding which trolley company to use, I couldn't find much difference between companies in the attracations that each visited. I suspect that the company making 26 stops is making more hotel stops than the other.

Thanks for responding Nancy. We had not given any thought to renting a vehicle. Originally this trip was just my DH and myself. We are up to 4 adults now, and will probably end up with 5. Since we were staying downtown, we figured a car was not necessary. However, like I stated in an earlier post, when you multiply costs by 5, you start to want to look at other options. I found some decent prices on hotwire right now, although I would prefer a reservation I could cancel. I will have to think this one through. So much to figure out!!! I enjoy reading your posts. They are always very helpful.

Thanks for responding Nancy. We had not given any thought to renting a vehicle. Originally this trip was just my DH and myself. We are up to 4 adults now, and will probably end up with 5. Since we were staying downtown, we figured a car was not necessary. However, like I stated in an earlier post, when you multiply costs by 5, you start to want to look at other options. I found some decent prices on hotwire right now, although I would prefer a reservation I could cancel. I will have to think this one through. So much to figure out!!! I enjoy reading your posts. They are always very helpful.

Thanks - I'm glad you find my posts helpful. :)

Are you looking at Hotwire for rental cars? I just looked at Hotwire, and they don't offer one-way rentals. I know that with a Hertz pick-up at the Vancouver Airport - you can drop-off the rental car several places downtown, including the Renaissance Harbourside - which is pretty close to Canada Place. Other companies probably have similar drop-off locations near Canada Place.

Archived