Ketchican-Which Crab Tour?

disneydiane61

I need help deciding between 2 tours in Ketchikan. they are both the same price $149. Both are offered only through the cruise line and cannot be booked independently.

The first one is the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour on the Aleutian Ballad. The ship from Discovery Channels "'Deadliest Catch" show. This will be their first year of tours for the entire Alaska season, as they just began tours towards the end of the 2007 season. I have read previously posted reviews and the CC'er have said great things about it...my 2 concerns are that it is offered by many cruise lines this coming season and I'm wondering if it will be as wonderful a tour when booked at full capacity. Secondly, I'm wondering if it will become more like a "show" and less like an "experience" of being on a real working crabbing ship.

The second tour takes you out to "crab pots" and gives a look at a few dungeness crabs, and then you travel to George Inlet Lodge for a crab meal. This one probably give you less of the real undersea life experience but you do get to have what many CC'er state as a great crab meal.

So...if you have made it to the end of this post. Please give me your advice, opinion, vote...I'm so up in the air about this one...I'll let you all decide for me.

If the Aleutian Ballad wins out....can I have some advice on where to eat after the tour to get some real fresh Alaskan Crab. I'm sure I'll be hungry.:D

Thanks

disneydiane

Here are another two crabbing tours I found.

1)This was earlier than I wanted to go so we passed on it.

Thank you for your interest in the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. We are not partnered with Carnival Cruise Lines at this point– so you are able to book the Tour directly. We have a tour departing at 8:00 am and returning at 11:30 which should work for your port call. The most efficient way to make your reservation is through our Website’s on-line reservations system. If you have any difficulties or concerns please feel free to call the toll free number 1.888.239.3816. We will assist you through the process. Have a safe and happy New Year. We look forward to seeing you on the Tour this summer!!

My best,

Lynn Langford Walton

Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour

56degreesnorth.

As real as its gets…..without getting wet

2)HERE IS THE TOUR I THINK I AM GOING TO BOOK:

Thank you for your inquiry. You are certainly welcome to book the Crabbing Tour with us directly. Just to let you know though, our prices are the same as the cruise lines - but when booking through the cruise line you don't have to pay city sales tax. If you

purchase it with us directly we have to charge you the additional tax.

Also, we have not yet set a price for the crabbing tour - we are waiting for

the crab prices to be posted for 2008. I know it will be around $155 for

adults, $100 for kids. Babies 0-2 are free.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Bon Voyage!

Shauna

Shauna Lee

Shore Excursion & Marketing Manager

The Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show

Experience Alaska Tours

(907)617-7543 cell

Archived